Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 11, 2024, 6:26 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Space junk, a danger to space exploration.
RE: Space junk, a danger to space exploration.
(April 2, 2021 at 1:54 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Many scientists are warning that too much space debree orbiting our planet can eventually make space exploration impossible. Humans for the past 50-60 years have launched rockets and sattlites at increasing rates. Humans have increasingly left space trash in orbit, and even something as small as a dime traveling at 20,000mph can be fatal to say things like the space station if they hit the right spot. 

This is why I get a lip twitch with the idea of space tourism. Yes it would be nice in theory if people could travel into space in mass cheaply like going to the beach. But the more vehicles we launch into space, and let orbit until they become trash, the more potential missles/bullets become a landmine for future vechles. One might look at it like polluting the oceans. Yes the oceans are big, but the more we over exploit, and the more pollution we dump into the oceans, the more our resources become threatened. 

Scientists warn that too much space junk orbiting our planet will be simply like creating a mine feild that grows bigger and bigger. 

https://www.colorado.edu/today/2020/05/2...nk-problem

Yes.

The phenomenon is even named after some one who thought of it first/a while ago, 'Kessler'.

My thoughts are that 'If' the problem becomes worse. We will simply build vessels 'Tough' enough to withstand the near orbit environment.

Not necessarily 'armored' ships. Just 'Wipple' sheilds will do for most stuff.

Heck if Oumuamua and Comet2I/Borisov are any indication we'll need such methods for building space vessels any way. 

Cheers.

Not at work.

Messages In This Thread
Space junk, a danger to space exploration. - by Brian37 - April 2, 2021 at 1:54 pm
RE: Space junk, a danger to space exploration. - by Peebo-Thuhlu - April 2, 2021 at 3:55 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stephen Colbert with Space Archaeologist, Sarah Parcak Minimalist 1 743 January 9, 2016 at 2:58 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla
  3D printing, self-replication and space travel FifthElement 8 2168 November 6, 2014 at 12:10 am
Last Post: FifthElement
  The word for moving thought space Gooders1002 11 3644 June 9, 2013 at 7:32 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  Space-X CRS-1 Launch popeyespappy 3 1981 October 7, 2012 at 8:59 pm
Last Post: jonb
  Space Propulsion fuckass365 30 10089 May 22, 2012 at 1:18 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  The Fabric of the Cosmos: What Is Space? Gooders1002 0 1307 May 4, 2012 at 6:28 pm
Last Post: Gooders1002
  Junk DNA and creationism little_monkey 0 1993 December 3, 2011 at 9:23 am
Last Post: little_monkey