Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 8:19 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A reluctant atheist
A reluctant atheist
I’ve lived the last 30 years of my live happily applying common sense and reasoning to the existence of a deity. Until recently the Agnostic label suited me well as I could never conclusively argue that there was no high being responsible for life as we know it.

I’ve lived under the ignorant belief that anyone with an ounce of intelligence will question their belief; not to disprove it but to understand it better. I thought that those that do believe do so for comfort and social acceptance but no one in England really believes that non-believers go to hell and that every newborn baby is a sinner!

I enjoyed my Richard Dawkins DVD box set, watched a few Louis Theroux documentaries on Youtube, love Ricky Jervais’ and Eddie Izzard’s take on Religion but never found the need to explore Atheism as to me it was an extremist, militant view.

However, this year a seemingly intelligent 21 year old ‘born again Christian’ joined our team at work. His views and level of indoctrination scared the heck out of me and to say it was an eye opener would be an understatement.

His defiance to appreciate science and nature annoyed me, his claim that my 14 month old baby girl was a sinner wound me up and telling me I was destined to go to hell come judgement day tipped me over the edge…

…and so here I am

I’m still not a hardened militant atheist and don’t plan on taking that route. I still appreciate the merits of belief and I don’t believe you can necessarily call religion the route of all evil because if you removed belief you’d still have warring factions and hatred built up around the colour of a flag or skin.

However, I am desperate to learn more about religion and an uncovering of the truth. I’m currently listening to a Christopher Hitchens audio book called ‘God is not Great’ and enjoyed John Humphrys’ ‘In God we Doubt’. But nothing I’ve found so far gives me a basic uncovering of the truth and lies behind religion.

So after my long winded rant of an introduction I would like to ask if anyone could point me in the direction of a non militant, easy going and reasoned guide to debunking religion.

Thank you for listening and I very much enjoy engaging in some open minded conversations.

Chris
RE: A reluctant atheist
Welcome.

So you have a work play thing, haha, read up on stupid xtian things and test him on the stupidity of it.

If he can be a douche with his religion, you're well within your rights to question his idiotic beliefs.
Welcome.

You know, you could reverse his threats. State that he is the one due for hades for not believing or worshipping Thor or Odin.
We atheists get to go to Valhalla! Big Grin
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
(December 21, 2011 at 6:09 am)Ace Otana Wrote: Welcome.

You know, you could reverse his threats. State that he is the one due for hades for not believing or worshipping Thor or Odin.
We atheists get to go to Valhalla! Big Grin

We do?

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Welcome Chris to our little bit of sanity on the net.

Hi from the land down under.... enjoy your stay here
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(December 21, 2011 at 6:17 am)downbeatplumb Wrote: We do?

Of course.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
Cool.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Any one seen Heimdallr lately??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heimdallr
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(December 21, 2011 at 5:54 am)Chriswt Wrote: However, this year a seemingly intelligent 21 year old ‘born again Christian’ joined our team at work. His views and level of indoctrination scared the heck out of me and to say it was an eye opener would be an understatement.

His defiance to appreciate science and nature annoyed me, his claim that my 14 month old baby girl was a sinner wound me up and telling me I was destined to go to hell come judgement day tipped me over the edge…

…and so here I am

It's disgusting to think how many parents indoctrinate their newborns to their religion. This such indoctrination is an child abuse. How do the heck you resist the urges from punching the asshole whom claims your 14-month old baby girl was a sinner?! If I were in your shoes, I'd punch his good-for-nothing brain out!

And welcome, Chriswt.
Don't get me started Blam!... Angry