Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 17, 2024, 10:36 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Excavating Words"
"Excavating Words"
http://www.guylaramee.com/

He carves books.

[Image: carved-book18-550x477.jpg]

[Image: carved-book3.jpeg]

[Image: carved-book10.jpeg]

[Image: carved-book.jpeg]

[Image: carved-book5.jpeg]
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
RE: "Excavating Words"
Wow. While part of me can't help but be horrified that someone would do this to books, the larger part of me is really impressed. They look amazing!
"No-one who decides that scientific evidence is not for him and that his own experience or the stories of others is the be all and end all of deciding what's true ever has the right to call people searching for reliable, repeatable evidence narrow-minded. That is hypocrisy of the most laughable kind." Derren Brown - Tricks of the Mind.
You know, I actually erased a paragraph I was going to put up...

The idea of carving into books horrifies me as a bibliophile, and in a knee-jerk nearly-religious way. I don't know if any sects of Christianity had this, but in both of the synagogues I went to, books (especially holy books, obviously) were taught to be something to be revered and respected, even paperbacks. The written word is important. I'm okay folding the corner of a page down on a paperback novel now, but hard-bound books? No way. Can't get over it.

When I stare at these images and try to imagine how they were done, I get a vision of me standing over them with a scalpel and it makes me physically ill.
(January 8, 2012 at 10:27 pm)thesummerqueen Wrote: You know, I actually erased a paragraph I was going to put up...

The idea of carving into books horrifies me as a bibliophile, and in a knee-jerk nearly-religious way. I don't know if any sects of Christianity had this, but in both of the synagogues I went to, books (especially holy books, obviously) were taught to be something to be revered and respected, even paperbacks. The written word is important. I'm okay folding the corner of a page down on a paperback novel now, but hard-bound books? No way. Can't get over it.

I can't even do that! I have about 10 bookmarks around my house so I never have to dog-ear anything.

I just joined my local library and I'm disgusted how people treat things that don't belong to them - dog-eared pages, pen marks, one of the books I got had a lot of pages that the bottom was torn off (it hadn't taken any of the words off, but it made me angry nonetheless) and the DVD's I borrowed are nearly all so badly scratched it's near impossible to watch them. Grrrr!

thesummerqueen Wrote:When I stare at these images and try to imagine how they were done, I get a vision of me standing over them with a scalpel and it makes me physically ill.

I agree! They're still pretty cool, I just couldn't do it myself.
"No-one who decides that scientific evidence is not for him and that his own experience or the stories of others is the be all and end all of deciding what's true ever has the right to call people searching for reliable, repeatable evidence narrow-minded. That is hypocrisy of the most laughable kind." Derren Brown - Tricks of the Mind.
[chuckling] I've tried to train myself out of silly irrationalities like that. Some die hard. I counted the dog-earing of the paperbacks as progress. And then I picked up a foot-noted copy of Paradise Lost and planned to highlight in it, and couldn't do it.

The teachers at school constantly wanted us to write in our store-bought books (but not the school textbooks, of course) and it constantly pissed me off. I went through several packs of "erasable" pens one year when the teacher would check to see if we were scribbling notes in the margins. Fucking hated that.
Freaky. The last one is amazing!

He should carve extremely blasphemous images out of bibles. I would buy that.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Agree with the hesitation of damaging ANY sort of book...still this work is quite extraordinary!!
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(January 8, 2012 at 10:52 pm)thesummerqueen Wrote: [chuckling] I've tried to train myself out of silly irrationalities like that. Some die hard. I counted the dog-earing of the paperbacks as progress. And then I picked up a foot-noted copy of Paradise Lost and planned to highlight in it, and couldn't do it.

The teachers at school constantly wanted us to write in our store-bought books (but not the school textbooks, of course) and it constantly pissed me off. I went through several packs of "erasable" pens one year when the teacher would check to see if we were scribbling notes in the margins. Fucking hated that.

I'm so glad I didn't go to your school then, I would have gotten in trouble because I'd flatly refuse.
That's what notebooks are for!
Exactly!