Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 8:54 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help!
Help!
I'm having problems with my laptop at the moment and I'm really hoping someone can help.

I recently downloaded an antivirus program (AVG) which I've used before and had no problems. It screwed things up so I deleted it (eventually, it wouldn't just uninstall through the remove program feature) and since then I've had nothing but trouble. I've done a system restore and it hasn't helped. I can't save pictures into a file I want, I have to right click, save as and just let it save into the download file then move it to where I want it. When I try to save it to a specific folder it says interrupted. Whatever, I can live with that. But now, I can't watch any YouTube clips. When I go on YouTube I get a black spot where the clip should be, and when I try to watch them here, it just has that little grey/white loading circle indefinitely. It's very annoying!

I'm running Vista, and I can't just wipe it all clean and reinstall that because the laptop didn't come with a Vista disc. I'd be quite happy to just wipe the whole thing clean and start again if there's any way of doing that without the disc. Can anyone help please?
"No-one who decides that scientific evidence is not for him and that his own experience or the stories of others is the be all and end all of deciding what's true ever has the right to call people searching for reliable, repeatable evidence narrow-minded. That is hypocrisy of the most laughable kind." Derren Brown - Tricks of the Mind.
RE: Help!
(February 9, 2012 at 11:20 pm)Michelle_Patton Wrote: I'm having problems with my laptop at the moment and I'm really hoping someone can help.

I recently downloaded an antivirus program (AVG) which I've used before and had no problems. It screwed things up so I deleted it (eventually, it wouldn't just uninstall through the remove program feature) and since then I've had nothing but trouble. I've done a system restore and it hasn't helped. I can't save pictures into a file I want, I have to right click, save as and just let it save into the download file then move it to where I want it. When I try to save it to a specific folder it says interrupted. Whatever, I can live with that. But now, I can't watch any YouTube clips. When I go on YouTube I get a black spot where the clip should be, and when I try to watch them here, it just has that little grey/white loading circle indefinitely. It's very annoying!

I'm running Vista, and I can't just wipe it all clean and reinstall that because the laptop didn't come with a Vista disc. I'd be quite happy to just wipe the whole thing clean and start again if there's any way of doing that without the disc. Can anyone help please?

Are you only having problems when using your Internet browser?

Also which browser are you using? Internet Explorer, or something else?

If you're only problem is associated with your browser, I'd try downloading FireFox. If you're already using Firefox, try installing it.

That's all I can think off right now.
Christian - A moron who believes that an all-benevolent God can simultaneously be a hateful jealous male-chauvinistic pig.
Wiccan - The epitome of cerebral evolution having mastered the magical powers of the universe and is in eternal harmony with the mind of God.
Atheist - An ill-defined term that means something different to everyone who uses it.
~~~~~
Luke 23:34 Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.
Clearly Jesus (a fictitious character or otherwise) will forgive people if they merely know not what they do
For the Bible Tells us so!
I'm using Google chrome, I'll try with Firefox and see how I go. Thanks Smile

ETA: I love you! It worked! I can't believe it was that simple!!
"No-one who decides that scientific evidence is not for him and that his own experience or the stories of others is the be all and end all of deciding what's true ever has the right to call people searching for reliable, repeatable evidence narrow-minded. That is hypocrisy of the most laughable kind." Derren Brown - Tricks of the Mind.
Not for nothing but Vista is crap to begin with.

Windows 7 is far superior.
I know, unfortunately the laptop came with Vista and I'm not in a position to change it any time soon Sad
Sounds like Google Chrome couldn't find your flash program.

Also, install an antivirus program immediately. In what way did AVG fuck things up?
I recommend Avast antivirus. It's very good, doesn't screw with the operating system like so many others do, and best of all, it's free.
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
I would have tried threats of physical violence, perhaps bringing it's attention to the electronics graveyard a few feet away from it's cozy pedestal (everyone has one of those right?)

Glad to hear the issue was handled btw. Iv'e never had an issue with Chrome but it seems like alot of people do. I wonder what's going on there?

I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I use firefox, so damn good.
(February 10, 2012 at 1:42 am)Michelle_Patton Wrote: I know, unfortunately the laptop came with Vista and I'm not in a position to change it any time soon Sad

If it is old enough to come with Vista it is not worth upgrading anyway.