Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:42 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheism, an uphill struggle
Atheism, an uphill struggle
To quote a friend of mine: "being an atheist is too much like hard work"

And to some extent I think he has a point

In my little corner of the world apathy seems to be the mainstay - Most of the people I know(myself included) were brought up as christian, and now just occupy some kind of vague agnosticism, and really couldn't care less - The same people do not want to think about, never mind actually discuss such matters.

Unfortunately since my own personal pandora's box was opened, I can no longer think like that, and I notice more and more each day how deep-rooted our society is in Christianity, religion and mysticism.

From common phrases in language, references within the media, holy buildings in every town, the churches grip on the education system, its influence on the government - It is ubiquitous.

I sometimes find it emotionally draining, not that my 'beliefs' could ever be shaken but the path I have chosen goes against the grain of the majority - I sometimes find myself scorned by the above mentioned apathy-christians(including members of my own family) for having a different opinion and for some of our decisions on how to raise our children.

Not thinking is the easy option

And I've got it easy here in the UK - I can hardly imagine how you guys in more religiously fervent countries get by, I take my hat off to you all
RE: Atheism, an uphill struggle
(February 13, 2012 at 1:35 pm)Chuff Wrote: I sometimes find it emotionally draining, not that my 'beliefs' could ever be shaken but the path I have chosen goes against the grain of the majority - I sometimes find myself scorned by the above mentioned apathy-christians(including members of my own family) for having a different opinion and for some of our decisions on how to raise our children.

It's sad that just because you don't believe in their sky daddy, ^^ happens.. Angry

(February 13, 2012 at 1:35 pm)Chuff Wrote: And I've got it easy here in the UK - I can hardly imagine how you guys in more religiously fervent countries get by, I take my hat off to you all

We know what it's like down here in the bible belt of the USA..
Just about everyone I know personally is Christian here (I know a very few Muslims and atheists because of college) When they start spewing religious bullshit from their mouth, I just tell em I don't believe in all that junk, and try to leave it at that. If they keep going, I put them on my own personal ignore list Smile

Make America Great Again! Trump 2020
(February 13, 2012 at 1:35 pm)Chuff Wrote: I sometimes find it emotionally draining, not that my 'beliefs' could ever be shaken but the path I have chosen goes against the grain of the majority

I've always been kind of a loner, so it doesn't really bother me too much to go against the majority.

Except, of course, when it comes to be able to openly express my beliefs.

Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
There comes a point where being an atheist doesn't seem to affect your day to day life all that much unless you are the type of personality who starts arguments with people all the time. I used to be the kind of person who would try to start debates all the time, but now a days I don't look or act any different than an apathetic agnostic does. Most of my friends are Christians or entirely apathetic, and I don't come off as much different than the latter.

Constantly wasting time on debates with random people gets old very, very fast. I save it for the internet as a solution to intense boredom. IRL, I have shit to do.
[Image: sig3-2.jpg]
Not believing in something is easy.
But to become a theist when you have a bit of knowledge, now that would be hard.
How would you convince yourself of all the bullshit, how could you see past the contradictions and embrace the horror that the bible celebrates.
That would be too hard for me.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

For me, pretending to be an intellectual slave is much harder than just being an intellectual master.
(February 13, 2012 at 2:18 pm)RW_9 Wrote: Constantly wasting time on debates with random people gets old very, very fast. I save it for the internet as a solution to intense boredom. IRL, I have shit to do.

That's why I'm here! Big Grin

Make America Great Again! Trump 2020
I don't find it all that much work..... at least I get to sleep in Sunday mornings without having to go somewhere to hear some idiot ramble on about fucking jesus.
I find it harder to lie to people and give them false hope. It's very easy to be an Atheist actually, it can take zero intellect to come to while theism makes you do mental gymnastics to make an attempt at logical reasoning. Instead I'd rather to force people who are religious or spiritual to ask themself if they care more about what's probably true or what just feels good to them.
Thinking

As some know I'm in a dog rescue group and we just had a major membership meeting where this poem was read

Quote:Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

This seems to me the kind of gibberish that xtians tell themselves about fucking "heaven." It's Fantasy Land for morons and I do think they would far rather believe in such utter stupidity than face the reality that dead = dead.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27147 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Life's meaning when you are an atheist - reality, struggle, etc. bussta33 11 4365 December 11, 2015 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12492 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 12156 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite
  Debate share, young earth? atheism coverup? atheism gain? xr34p3rx 13 10504 March 16, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  A different definition of atheism. Atheism isn't simply lack of belief in god/s fr0d0 14 12014 August 1, 2012 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  "Old" atheism, "New"atheism, atheism 3.0, WTF? leo-rcc 69 38102 February 2, 2010 at 3:29 am
Last Post: tackattack