Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 3:42 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shanti Devi ?! Need some criticism
Question 
Hi, this is my first post.
I found the case of Shanti Devi yesterday and it seemed so bizarre, that I thought "no way this to be true", however I couldn't find any scepticism/criticism of it on the internet. Its all "reincarnation is true", "the ultimate proof" , "the best documented case of reincarnation" etc...
The case is in fact too old and it can be- and I'm sure it is- exaggerated and faked at some degree, however I feel the need to show myself "thats not how things work".

Anyway here is the story
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shanti_Devi basic info
http://www.paulwayman.co.uk/plrart3.pdf the whole "story"

Cheers

And you just had to rush straight here and tell us ALL about it, didn't you.....
Trollmeter starting to twitch.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
RE: Shanti Devi ?! Need some criticism
Girl hears sad story, attaches framework of cultural beliefs RE reincarnation.

Girl tells fanciful story substitutes herself for the inititial object.

Widower hears that semi-creepy 9 year old girl is making references to marriage with him...his mind swims with the possibilities. Did he just trade an older, pregnant wife for a younger, virgin wife?

Girl is dissappointed when the attention these claims draws presents an opportunity to meet the love interest she has been fantasizing about, and the reality of the man does not match the fantasy she has cultivated.

Themes such as rebirth, reunion, marriage, and the actions of spouses after we are gone all feature heavily in this narrative (which is what this is). It is a tale that is ancillary the the Ghandi legend. It's good stuff. We've ruled out explanations such as these?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Oh hello georgi... And you are?
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
I see no reason to believe it because "you can't prove it's not true" or that there's not enough skepticism about it on the internet. The fact is that this story happened so long ago that you're unlikely to find anyone associated with it still alive who could accurately recount the facts. And, as with any story, after it's been retold and retold so many times with so many extra details added here and there which later become "factual" because of the retelling, that there's just no way to prove it true or false.

Is that enough skepticism for you?
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
(February 15, 2012 at 9:44 am)Zen Badger Wrote: Trollmeter starting to twitch.

Doesn't seem so trollish to me. Just seems a bit misled. I was like that when I first joined. He's not ranting and raving telling us to believe this or that. Give the guy a chance.
G'day Georgi and welcome. It's considered good manners to introduce yourself.

Yep,that story has been around for a long time. I first heard about it ca 1971. I have no reason to doubt the sincerity of the apparently devout Hindus involved,although I do question their credulity.

I need prove or disprove exactly nothing. The burden of proof rests with the person making the claims. In over 40 years,no credible evidence has been forthcoming. Consequently,I am unable to believe the story. The end.