Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 1:18 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does atheism guarantee disbelief in anything unproven?
Does atheism guarantee disbelief in anything unproven?
If I had to say I had faith* in anything, it would be the scientific method - I apply its philosophy* to all aspects of my life - It's an easy way for me to judge what is and what isnt true.

The simple question of 'has it been scientifically proven' is at the front of my mind whenever I am exposed to any new(or old) idea, and if the answer is no I am immediately skeptical.

I am interested to know if all non-believers in god are also non believers across the spectrum, or if there are grey areas and why.

Are there any atheists out there who live by the horoscope, or like to visit a local medium and speak to their late grandmother? Any fundamentalist believers who outright reject homeopathy as claptrap, and think that reiki is a scam?

Or is there a direct correlation between theism and a general sense of belief in all things?

* The words 'faith' and 'philosophy' might not be very appropriate here, but my vocabulary lacks any suitable synonyms
RE: Does atheism guarantee disbelief in anything unproven?
On a purely definition based reasoning, an atheist can quite happily share a unsubstantiated belief in something supernatural or unproven. I would contend it is probably quite rare thou.

The reasons atheists generally have for non-belief in a deity are generally based deeply in empiricism and the scientific method.
It would be a double standard to expect empirical, scientific or even philosophical sense from a deity but happily accept other nonsensical ideas.

So I wouldn't say that atheists cannot believe in the supernatural, but it would involve a double standard which I doubt could be reasonably defended.

As a general rule, and I apologise if I am speaking for other people without their consent, an atheist should hold themselves to the same standards they expect of others. Quite simply, if you make an extraordinary claim, then it requires extraordinary evidence, whether this be the existence of God, ghosts, divination, or homeopathy.

Self-authenticating private evidence is useless, because it is indistinguishable from the illusion of it. ― Kel, Kelosophy Blog

If you’re going to watch tele, you should watch Scooby Doo. That show was so cool because every time there’s a church with a ghoul, or a ghost in a school. They looked beneath the mask and what was inside?
The f**king janitor or the dude who runs the waterslide. Throughout history every mystery. Ever solved has turned out to be. Not Magic.
― Tim Minchin, Storm
I've met atheists who are holocaust deniers, 911 truthers, chemtrail believers, and swear by homeopathy. Just because we share the non-belief in gods, that doesn't mean that we are more rational in any other topic.

My favorite example in this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ra%C3%ABlism
This cult is atheistic, and it claims that all life on Earth was created scientifically by aliens called Elohim.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
I'm skeptical about most things, Bigfoot, ghosts, alien abduction, the chupacabra, and mother Goose. The only real exception that comes to mind is alien life in the universe, which I think should be a matter of mathematical probability even if it hasn't been scientifically verified.
"In our youth, we lacked the maturity, the decency to create gods better than ourselves so that we might have something to aspire to. Instead we are left with a host of deities who were violent, narcissistic, vengeful bullies who reflected our own values. Our gods could have been anything we could imagine, and all we were capable of manifesting were gods who shared the worst of our natures."-Me

"Atheism leaves a man to sense, to philosophy, to natural piety, to laws, to reputation; all of which may be guides to an outward moral virtue, even if religion vanished; but religious superstition dismounts all these and erects an absolute monarchy in the minds of men." – Francis Bacon
You pretty much just described my own view, SleepingDemon - And there is some evidence to back it up: Crop Circles!

(just kidding!)

Leo do you think they just made raelism up to get laid?
(February 15, 2012 at 7:54 am)Chuff Wrote: * The words 'faith' and 'philosophy' might not be very appropriate here, but my vocabulary lacks any suitable synonyms

I'd say 'trust' rather than 'faith'. Trust is earned, faith is just given out the only way it can be: blindly.

I trust science because the scientific method has a good (not perfect, of course) track record and it attempts to self correct. I take an evidence based approach, but this doesn't stop me entertaining the possibilities of what might be; I just don't claim things are true which I can't support.

While atheists seem to tend toward being smarter, more rational people, there's nothing that guarantees that each individual will be.
(February 15, 2012 at 10:05 am)Tempus Wrote: While atheists seem to tend toward being smarter, more rational people, there's nothing that guarantees that each individual will be.

The rejection of the man-made concept of god is not a sufficient condition for intellectual or moral emancipation. Atheists have no right to go around looking superior. They have only fulfilled the necessary condition by throwing off the infancy of the species and disclaiming a special place in the natural scheme.

--Christopher Hitchens (Introduction to The Portable Atheist)
(February 15, 2012 at 8:38 am)leo-rcc Wrote: I've met atheists who are holocaust deniers, 911 truthers, chemtrail believers, and swear by homeopathy. Just because we share the non-belief in gods, that doesn't mean that we are more rational in any other topic.

My favorite example in this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ra%C3%ABlism
This cult is atheistic, and it claims that all life on Earth was created scientifically by aliens called Elohim.

I was acquainted with a guy who unbeknown to me was one of the leaders of the 9/11 truthers in NYC. They kicked him out of their little "club" when they found out he was a Raëlian. Guess he was too crazy for them but the idiot (Judy Wood) that compared the twin towers to the tree the Keebler elves live in was one of their gods, go figure.
I'm open to feeling things without scientific justification. The beauty of a beach, a flower, a forest, a lover or a child. Find an evolutionary explanation if you want but it really doesn't matter. I assign probabilities based on impressions, guestamate and often make decisions with inconclusive evidence.

Leaps can get you places fast, religion, freaky new agers, and generic zealots are all admonitory examples for the fleet of foot, but trudging isn't necessarily for me.
[Image: YgZ8E.png]
I catch your drift but the aesthetic beauty of nature is never in doubt I was thinking more of complex, man-made assertions.