Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 11:12 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wicca
Wicca
Wicca is an "earth-centered" religion, a very benign, very happy-go-lucky type of thing. I've always been attracted to it because of all the "ooh, nature! and ooh, faeries!" (lol) but then...half the people I come across are a bunch of 13, 14 year-old girls who are all like, "Oh, I can do that thing from The Craft and I can summon spirits n shit!" >_> *facepalm*
So, I like it, and I hate how RETARDED it makes you.

Okay, so herbal medicine is cool, but half that shit doesn't work!
And meditating has supposedly been proven to be good for you (something about hooking wires up the the head of a zen buddhist monk and saw all these delta-alpha-whatever waves), but seriously? Sitting there for ten minutes has never been fun for me. I go snooze.

Alright I'm getting off topic. The point is, I'm a seeker (mostly atheist), and what I mean by that is that I don't believe in God (I'm done with that invisible man), but if I were to, I'd think that all life is god.I mean, we were all the same condensed form of life in the Big Bang and everyone went BOOM and there was life! (no pun intended ;D)

So yeah. Discuss~
RE: Wicca
If you were to believe in God you would say everything is God?

That's pantheism. Sounds to me like you are an atheist/pantheist.

The definition of 'seeker' you are using sounds like pantheism to me. The idea that energy itself is God - in other words EVERYTHING is God - as opposed to nothing.

Meaning the God thing loses meaning, it's just a metaphor because nature and reality itself is God.

Like everything being 'God' makes nothing 'God' cos there's no contrast.

I wonder if your 'seeker' thing differs form pantheism or not? Cos it just sounds like pantheism to me.

Like Steven Weinberg says how if you are to say that God is energy, then you could find God in a lump of coal, etc.

EvF
Yeah I like Wicca. Sum interesting stuff there too. Basics like spirits in trees and rocks. Exploring it I never did really understand how to connect really. It all sounds really perfect and well, closer to our roots than any other 'faith' to me. Saw someone speak once about the 'condolini' (sp?) effect when meditating. Something about concentrating energy through the bottom of your spine through your 'tail'. It was funny... we were at a Christian festival and some fundamentalist group, the Church Army I think, surrounded the seminar tent holding hands and praying! lol
'Wicca' is largely the mid-twentieth century invention of an eccentric British civil servant called Gerald Gardner.A form of nature worship based on romantic notions of prehistorical religions,including Druidism.

Its ideas as are loopy,but no more so than most other forms of religion. It seems quite harmless when compared with some of the really nasty stuff advocated by some others; EG Aleister Crowley, some Christians such as Fred Phelps and some Muslim nutjobs. I've never heard of a Wiccan frightening children with tales of hell, being mean to gays or blowing people up.
(It's Kundalini. :3)
@EvF
Okay, pantheism. Yes, I see the fallacies. Which is why I don't believe in god. What I meant is that I thought that nature and life is good....or at least, I did think that. I thought about it some more. Nature is niether good nor evil, it just is. Shit happens, "good" (pretty flowers!) and "bad" (cyclones).
But that little concept there is just part of what I've thought up. :3 I'll discuss those as they come along.
Well said padraic, very well said.

@ obsessed philosopher: I agree with nature being neutral. I know of no evidence that it is objectively good or evil in an absolute sense. It depends on the observer, etc. Us humans make up the definition of "good" and "evil" and we cannot all agree on what is good an evil.

And there is certainly no evidence that nature ITSELF is good or evil as in it has INTENTION and a 'plan' and is either 'being good' or 'being bad'.

Did you say you've thought up a concept, 3? Which you are going to discuss? What, the concept of the number 3? Or have I misunderstood.

That might be interesting, if I only I knew what you meant by it! Do you mean the number 3?

EvF
(May 10, 2009 at 8:28 pm)padraic Wrote: 'Wicca' is largely the mid-twentieth century invention of an eccentric British civil servant called Gerald Gardner.A form of nature worship based on romantic notions of prehistorical religions,including Druidism.

Didn't he just revive it?

Quote:Its ideas as are loopy,but no more so than most other forms of religion. It seems quite harmless when compared with some of the really nasty stuff advocated by some others; EG Aleister Crowley, some Christians such as Fred Phelps and some Muslim nutjobs. I've never heard of a Wiccan frightening children with tales of hell, being mean to gays or blowing people up.

That's just coz Wicca isn't big enough Tongue. Atheism is sure to spawn sum nutjobs of it's own too surely.

Yeah... what does :3 mean? Sum kinda smiley?
@EvF
:3
SMILE YES xDDD
I always thought it was a messed up happy face, but then my friend said it was a kitty face. xD
Anyways,
Wicca is a romanticised version of some ancient polytheistic religions, but I'm sure most of it is educated guessing from symbologists and whatnot.
"It seems quite harmless" Not so. In this religion, girls are preferred over boys--they have more power. Is that any better in all the other patriarchal religions? Matriarchy, patriarchy--we all just need to understand that we're human beings, not which gender is over the other.
frodo Wrote:Atheism is sure to spawn sum nutjobs of it's own too surely.

Talk to any physicist or theoretical physicist.

op Wrote:Nature is niether good nor evil, it just is.

True.
(May 10, 2009 at 8:54 pm)obsessed_philosopher Wrote: not which gender is over the other.

Really??? Have I been wrong all the time by thinking that women is in general unintellegent and naive? Big Grin and therefore thinking men are way more superior?? (Not serious if you wonder)
- Science is not trying to create an answer like religion, it tries to find an answer.