Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 3:14 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gideon Bibles in rooms
Gideon Bibles in rooms
Anyone else get these? I moved into my university halls last year and found one in my room. I didn't really know much about them when I got it, but apparently the gideons pay NOTHING to place them in rooms. I think it's something worth paying attention to.

If their religious literature can be placed in rooms free, I don't see why we shouldn't be able to request that similar secular literature be placed in rooms free of charge. If this isn't possible then the bibles should be removed from the rooms, and if it is possible then great, I'm sure there are lots of secular organisations that would like to put their material around for free.

Anyway, I inquired with my hall manager on this topic, and apparently they don't place them there anymore. I've started a little campaign to get them removed from our hall rooms and hopefully that should be that, but what if they still place them there? I found this link to be very useful:

http://www.atheistactivist.org/Gideons.html
RE: Gideon Bibles in rooms
I think Gideons Bibles are terrific.

I am now the proud owner of a Dutch, German, English, and Thai Bible because of their generosity. When I stay in France, Italy, Poland, and Spain this next fiscal year, I will no doubt take an French, Italian, Spanish and Polish bible back with me as well.

The reason Gideons Bibles are so spread out is because the organization behind it is extremely well funded, and can afford to spread bibles in hotels, hospitals, nursing homes, prisons, and student halls.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
Lol, I mean aside from the novelty value. Tongue
Never heard of the "Hide the Bible" game (from Sponge's link). I must play this next time I'm in a hotel...
(May 11, 2009 at 8:40 am)Tiberius Wrote: Never heard of the "Hide the Bible" game (from Sponge's link). I must play this next time I'm in a hotel...

The first time I heard about it it was something someone from the ACA came up with a long time ago, I think it was Jeff Dee.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
That link says it is from Jeff Dee too. It must be Jeff Dee then Wink

That game sounds awesome. I've never been in a hotel before lol Smile

I wonder where to hide it !!

EvF
(May 11, 2009 at 8:53 am)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote: That link says it is from Jeff Dee too. It must be Jeff Dee then Wink

Well there you go then. Big Grin

(May 11, 2009 at 8:53 am)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote: That game sounds awesome. I've never been in a hotel before lol Smile

I wonder where to hide it !!

I can tell you the novelty of hotels wear off quickly. As to where to hide them, unless you have a multi 100 dollar suite there aren't that many places to hide it.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Pastafarian
Yeah, that's the prob. You have to be really creative I guess lol Tongue

EvF
I'm going round Europe with some friends in the summer, mainly be staying in hostels, I'm considering buying some of the stickers from the link Smile
Galileo was a man of science oppressed by the irrational and superstitious. Today, he is used by the irrational and superstitious who claim they are being oppressed by science - Mark Crislip
Quote:When I stay in France, Italy, Poland, and Spain this next fiscal year, I will no doubt take an French, Italian, Spanish and Polish bible back with me as well.

Well, you won't find any in France, unless you go to a hotel from an american company like "Marriott".
In Germany, there are bibles in 80% of the hotels, and since its creation the Gideon Bibles has distributed 18 million Bibles just in Germany ! I don't know about other european countries but it seems very likely that you'll find Bibles in Italy and Poland as they are pretty religious countries.

This discussion reminded of a tv program I saw a few years ago about the Bibles in hotels (comparison between France and Germany) which mentionned the Gideon Bibles : http://www.france-allemagne.fr/Le-rituel...,3628.html
Unfortunately it's only in french but you can understand with the pictures.

And if you're looking for a bible-free hotelroom in any country I recommend the french companies like "Accor hotels" :p , unless you're in America...Confused (at least that's what the tv program says)

Anyway the stickers sounds like a great idea!
[Image: pPQu8.png]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Planet X: 2012! Grab your bibles and hold on tight! Trojan 42 15690 September 18, 2009 at 1:30 pm
Last Post: Retorth