Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 3, 2024, 4:53 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The benefits of Xtianity
The benefits of Xtianity
[Image: WhatXtianitydidforus.jpg]
RE: The benefits of Xtianity
Hmm, I keep seeing graphics here that I've already discovered weeks ago. Maybe I should start cataloging them more.
"Sisters, you know only the north; I have traveled in the south lands. There are churches there, believe me, that cut their children too, as the people of Bolvangar did--not in the same way, but just as horribly. They cut their sexual organs, yes, both boys and girls; they cut them with knives so that they shan't feel. That is what the Church does, and every church is the same: control, destroy, obliterate every good feeling. So if a war comes, and the Church is on one side of it, we must be on the other, no matter what strange allies we find ourselves bound to."

-Ruta Skadi, The Subtle Knife
Lol, very nice!
I saw that ages ago.
I think the drop and recovery in the hole should be more gradual and more like a curve, but the general shape is about right

While I appreciate the graph, the people who cobbled it together seemed to have completely omitted our second "green revolution" (the first being 10k years ago, or thereabouts). Advances in agriculture during the middle ages were nothing less than scientific breakthroughs, responsible for a population explosion that had not been seen in our species before that time. There were also the Arab states, where science and medicine plugged along just fine, and this is only one example of the many places worldwide where knowledge continued it's inexorable march. As long as there are human beings, there will be curiosity, little more is required to facilitate discovery. I think I'm going to allow Europe to enter a plea of temporary insanity on this one.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(March 1, 2012 at 9:57 am)Rhythm Wrote: There were also the Arab states, where science and medicine plugged along just fine

Until they got mired in their 'dark ages' too, in the 12th century, from which they have still not recovered, nor is any progress likely soon.

This 'scientific coma' seems to be par for the course with mono-theistic religions.
The benefits of Christianity: {}
"Sisters, you know only the north; I have traveled in the south lands. There are churches there, believe me, that cut their children too, as the people of Bolvangar did--not in the same way, but just as horribly. They cut their sexual organs, yes, both boys and girls; they cut them with knives so that they shan't feel. That is what the Church does, and every church is the same: control, destroy, obliterate every good feeling. So if a war comes, and the Church is on one side of it, we must be on the other, no matter what strange allies we find ourselves bound to."

-Ruta Skadi, The Subtle Knife

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you see any benefits to religious faith? Mudhammam 228 31201 September 22, 2016 at 10:48 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Does fasting actually have health benefits? ReptilianPeon 26 5058 June 22, 2015 at 5:15 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Benefits of atheism and theism robvalue 9 3046 January 13, 2015 at 9:57 am
Last Post: robvalue