Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 10:53 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pretending
Pretending
Has anyone ever found themselves needing to pretend they are a theist?

I have been unemployed for a bit now and while searching the want ads I came across an open position for what I do at a church.

I called and submitted a resume and will have an interview tommorrow.

In order to be considered for this position and, if selected, to retain this employment, it cannot be found out that I am an Atheist. I will have to say things on a daily basis like "God bless you", "Praise Jesus", and the like. I'm sure I'm going to have to 'fake pray' when they start such nonsense.

They may even require church membership and attendance.

Unemployment desperation has set in and I need to take whatever employment I can find. Gonna suk to get this job and have to play this game so I can eat and keep a roof over my head.

Churches are exempt from any religious discrimination laws. They are not required to be EOE. They can legally deny you employment based on religion. I tried it once, applied for a position at a STATE RUN church (at a state mental hospital), was denied based on religious lack of affiliation and they held no bones about informing me as much. (("You were not chosen due to your atheism, we just can't have an Atheist working here.))

Was informed about the churches exemption from the religious discrimination act by every lawyer in the phone book that I contacted, including state run churches.

Sux, I know but meh... whaddacanIdo? If selected, suck it up, play christian and collect my paycheck.

This makes me a sad panda.
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]
RE: Pretending
(LOL at Sad Panda...SP reference Tongue)

Fuck I'd hate to be in THAT position! But I guess one view could be that if that's the only way you can find a job....since religion is so fucked-up and it get's special treatment then since it basically deserves exploitment then maybe that makes up for the dishonesty - I mean considering you can find no other job.

Gotta be careful though lol Wink - you're on thin ground Tongue - don't get spotted lol.

Dunno what I'd do in that position though...I'd HATE to be in that postion...I mean fuck religion but pretending...ugh...

I'd do whatever I could to find any other job first lol. Must suck to be in that position.

EvF
Sorry to hear that you have to, or maybe have to, pretend to be theist. That really suck.

Luckily I haven't had to. Employers here in sweden don't care about if you don't believe in religion or dont.

(May 14, 2009 at 9:46 am)Dotard Wrote: (("You were not chosen due to your atheism, we just can't have an Atheist working here.))

However something like that in the quote above happend to an atheist who was working at a church during a summer. He was fired becuase he didn't belive in god and such persons couldn't they have working at their church.
- Science is not trying to create an answer like religion, it tries to find an answer.
I never have been in such a position. I think you must do what you feel you can live with. If you can live with going through the motions of a theist, then I wouldn't hold it against you that you accept the job if it is offered.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
I personally wouldn't be that desperate to pretend that I believed in god to get a job. But however I'm not in the same situation as you. So I don't judge you at all. But I wouldn't feel comfterble doing it and I guess you will not be that.

It will probably be very hard for you to pretend something that you're not for a long period of time, it will be tough to hold that mask and eventually will you be tired and ask yourself if it's really worth it.
- Science is not trying to create an answer like religion, it tries to find an answer.
At least one can hold on to this job and look for another job in the mean time. Having food on the table is very important, I've been in that situation.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
Understand that. A man gotta do what a man gotta do
LOL. What a wonderful world.
Only to take the piss.

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
I once considered pretending to be a christian so my parents would lay off...but I'm too proud of my atheism Smile
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful with out having to believe there are fairies at the bottom of it to?" -Douglas Adams.Heart
Pastafarian
I Evolved!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  It's time to stop pretending God exists! Mystic 26 7225 May 25, 2014 at 8:26 am
Last Post: archangle