Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 11:29 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New To Here
New To Here
Hello all I am Renee and I have been looking for atheist forums and im glad to have found you guys! Im a recently self admitting atheist. I was Raised christian but believed in god like Santa always hoped in the fairy tale but had a hard time believing. Atheism and Atheist was a bad word to me but not any more Smile oh and by recently i mean like a couple months ago. I was one of those people who were defending god and evolution at the same time, till i realized that the god i thought i believed in could not be the same god as in the bible. so now im trying to find myself in the since of what i do believe in.

well i guess that's enough rambling for now i just wanted to say Hi so hello and im glad to be a part of your community.
Confusedhock: Its the Year 2009 And the Entire World is still at war Argue over who has the most Powerful Invisible Friend.:bow::angel2:
RE: New To Here
Hi Renee,

When you say you realised that the god you believed couldn't be the same as the god of the bible, does that mean that you still believe in a god, just not the one described in the bible?
Or that the difference between what you believed a god could be like (i.e. not the creator of humanity, because of the wealth of evidence for natural selection) and what the bible said led you to disbelief in general?

Anyway, welcome to the forums!
Galileo was a man of science oppressed by the irrational and superstitious. Today, he is used by the irrational and superstitious who claim they are being oppressed by science - Mark Crislip
You'll encounter a lot of new and exciting things here, no matter what you believe! Welcome to atheistforums.org from one new member to another!
Welcome to the froum Renee!

So you still believe in something supernatural, correct?
- Science is not trying to create an answer like religion, it tries to find an answer.
Its more like im agnostic to the supernatural but do not believe. At one point in my life when i was learning about History and Greek mythology i pondered why it was god we believed in now and not Zeus. later when i pondered some more on other religions i saw a similarity that their was a god who had a son who came to earth as a mortal then joined his father in heaven. i tried to make this fit with what i had been taught but that didn't work either so when i was about 18 i abandoned god. hes was not apart of my life but if any one had asked me i would have said i was christian. then when i understood the word agnostic i would say im agnostic on the subject. it was only when i picked up a bible and looked at it i realized religion was not what i believed in but it was Math and science.

oh and thanks for the welcomes Big Grin
Confusedhock: Its the Year 2009 And the Entire World is still at war Argue over who has the most Powerful Invisible Friend.:bow::angel2:
Greetings! Welcome Renee! Welcome to the forums! Smile

You may have realized that the God you believed in couldn't be the as the bible BUT - I obviously assume (and I think you've completely confirmed it now anyway! Seems pretty obvious to me..?) that you still DON'T believe in any God at all because you label yourself as an Atheist. Which means you don't believe in God - and I assume you don't just mean an atheist in respect to the Christian God.

I assume you mean you are an atheist - therefore you don't believe in any God (to use some kind of supernatural being as the definition anyway?). And that you are agnostic on the subject.

Well; I TOO am an agnostic atheist. I believe that God almost certainly doesn't exist - I am totally confident that he doesn't personally but I'm still only ALMOST certain because I respect other possibilities TOO (i.e: I accept that my own PERSONAL 100% certainty could still be wrong).

I am certain God exists but I accept that my certainty could be wrong so I don't claim to know absolutely Smile - that's why I'm still agnostic on the subject...

So, from one agnostic atheist to the other - welcome to the forums!! Big Grin

EvF
lol haven't you heard when you assume you make an ass out of you and me... Ok i do not believe in any god but i do not dismiss the possibilities of anything. so yeah im an agnostic atheist. I feel there is so much we do not know, so i claim i know nothing. I feel that if there was a god then he would be more pleased with me that i lead a good life as in i did good things then i believed blindly and did evil things.
Welcome Renee ... once you get used to it it ain't so bad being atheist in fact (to me) it seems all good.

Hope you enjoy it here.

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
Yep once again welcome Renee.

And @ Kyu: In my experience (at least) - atheism PWNZ!

EvF

EDIT: W00t! 2500th post.
Hi Renee,

Welcome to our little part in cyberspace. Enjoy your stay.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hi everybody! New here (She/It) requiredfield 22 580 April 2, 2024 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  New Here Nomistic 13 621 February 12, 2024 at 1:42 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  I'm new here Sigiere 14 1001 May 24, 2023 at 8:59 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  New here Rdougall 9 1266 January 27, 2023 at 1:39 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  New guy here Roykok 8 1100 November 10, 2022 at 3:51 pm