Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 12:33 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello
Hello
I re read what I wrote and this may end up coming across as rambling as I haven't gathered my thoughts rightly enough. There is a point at the end though! This may be better in a different section.

So, I'm looking for a discussion. I've been struggling with life in general lately, I would amount it to depression or loneliness, kind of but not really, I don't really know, it's sort of an empty feeling that nothing I do matters. It forces me to think about things I normally wouldn't otherwise and because of my work schedule I am up for most of the night alone in my room which doesn't help.

Just a little back story.

I was raised Roman Catholic and the church has made me the kind , caring, respectful, and considerate person I am today. My household wasn't strict about religion other then you go to church on Sunday and then go to the hour long school afterwards. I did all of the rituals from baptism to confirmation. My grandparents on both sides are deeply religious, one of my grandfathers is a part time minister and one of my grandmothers prays the rosary probably 50 times a night for each person in the whole extended family. Neither are hard core religious they go about their business normally and don't bother others. For me none of my current actions are guided by the idea that I'll go to hell if I think other then what the bible says. I personally learned to understand that as long as we ourselves believe what we are doing is right, and we are willing to listen to someone that tells us we are doing something bad, then there isn't anything wrong. If there is a god he can't really judge us for the environment we were raised (child soldiers in Africa, sociopath, being abused, molested and not being afforded help) but he/she/it can judge us if we commit murder knowing full well it is wrong. In the same vein we are allowed to question god and the world because, yes, he designed us in his image therefor. That doesn't mean he is a human being but I'll kind of talk about that in a second.

I haven't gone to church in years, when I was home from college my Mom would bitch if I didn't. One day I wouldn't go and she yelled at me, "You aren't going to make me lose my religion." I brought it up later but she never really talked about it again. I can only assume, because she loves her children so much, perhaps sees it as it is her letting god down if she can't get me to go or a failure on her part. She was raised in a different time period and is arguably uneducated (she is a great Mom though.) My Dad is very intelligent and he will read and watch programs on every scientific subject imaginable. He is heavily involved in the church but doesn't talk about religion. He also understands the world from different points of view unlike my Mom. When I went to church I'd roll my eyes most of the time during the sermons, I look around and see people nodding as the paster is speaking and I feel like I'm starring at sheep. I subscribe to the thinking that we should really figure things for ourselves, religion is a great guiding stick but at some point you need to let go. Read the bible and come to your own conclusions.

I don't agree with organized religion for many reasons. Religion IS the creation of man. I do believe that there was a man called Jesus, evidence supports that claim, and he absolutely changed the course of the world. However, I would debate what his relationship to god was and if any of his miracles were real. Obviously he was crucified for being a rebel and governments feared the following he gathered and this new way of thinking. Ignoring religion for a moment I feel spirituality is something far different and far greater. Spirituality could be due to the evolution of the mind trying to deal with 'consciousness/ soul' as we gained awareness of existence or it is something given to us along the way after we evolved far enough to satisfy whatever greater being is out there, which would be why Jesus came to existence, or we had it all along. If we had it all along then the thinking would be the the soul has nothing to do with being homosapiens, it is just a force acting on us and can leave and arrive whenever. Okay, I don't know, it's a thought. We do know that the practice of spirituality/ worship/etc. has taken place for far longer then we could probably find fossils for which I find to be significant, as is the concept of the life we have, love, etc. I'll get to love in a second.

I'll get to my point now.

I can't accept 'Atheism' and this is where I'm looking for discussion. It seems there are too many different schools of thought and you all suffer the same stereotypes you fight against in the religious crowd. I've seen it surfing the forums and in public. Yes, there are Christians who are ignorant and are incapable of thinking for themselves, follow circular logic or plan 'ol lack an understanding of their own religions history. You guys have that too. Most of it seems to come from pissed off teenagers. I wish I had a better example for my perspective but it seems to boil down to something like this, "IF there was a god then why is [____] insert war, drugs, genocide, environment, rape, blah blah blah because rational thought says [____] insert quote, scientific, study, spaghetti monster etc. A lot of it seems to be a lack of understanding of your own material, again, in the same way religious individuals can't separate spirituality and religion.

To me the core of Atheism is the desire to remove religion from humanity because it impedes on our evolution of rational thought, science, education or understanding the universe, creates wars, etc. I don't disagree with that. However there seems to be a larger goal of trying to, 'kill god,' which I don't understand. I see existence, the people we meet, our experiences as significant. Yes, I understand the water in the puddle analogy of, "If rain woke up in a ditch as a puddle it might say, 'this hole was obviously made for me." I don't have the exact quote but it is something like that. We are a product of our environment in essence. To me there is a difference between survival and purpose. Deer, fish, birds fight for survival. For us to survive we captured fire, built houses and made weapons. We evolved along a different path and yes we have flaws. We have to have flaw and doubt. Those doubts and flaws give us drive to better ourselves as a species. If we all knew there was a god and he visited us regularly what would be the point of doing anything? We pray and god gives us what we want? There wouldn't be any significance to life. Right? In a way life is one big lesson, for some it is easier and some harder, longer or shorter. So, why would our minds evolve to form consciousness and love? Yes, love binds us together which makes our species stronger as a pack, smart evolution, and consciousness allows us the desire to say ,'I,' to build and create.

I've hit a dead end but I'll leave it at this as said on South Park. On discussion of evolution, "Couldn't it be the answer to how and not why."

Obviously, I've taken the side of creationism here but I want to know your thoughts on spirituality and your fellow Atheists. Do you think there is a rift in your own community, a lack of knowledge or central guidance? IF you had guidance or a set of rules you would be stronger, but then you would just be another religion of sheeople, right? Is there a better way to approach religious individuals to allow them to see a 'godless' way of thinking? Are people who are Atheist just unfathomably disconnected from the universe around us that you would rather dissect and study a carcass then just sit watch how the creature behaves and its importance for existence? Or is studying the carcass what we are meant to do?

I may have made omissions or included poor grammar, forgive me for that.
RE: Hello
Quote:To me the core of Atheism is the desire to remove religion from humanity because it impedes on our evolution of rational thought, science, education or understanding the universe, creates wars, etc. I don't disagree with that. However there seems to be a larger goal of trying to, 'kill god,'

You can't kill what was never there. As noted here:

Either Jesus rose from the dead or he didn't. If he did, then Christianity becomes plausible; if he did not, then it is sheer nonsense.

--H.L. Mencken

One either believes in superstition or one seeks reality. There is no evidence that any of the gods invented by men exist. That is all that "atheism" means to me.
Hello and Welcome.

You've touched upon various points which I think we can discuss in a friendly open atmosphere. What is generally disagreeable is assertion without reason as that is just preaching.

Try not to cover too many different things at once, as I can see several items I would prefer to discuss in detail and your introduction is not the place for it.

You may find it useful to realise that there is no atheist community as such. Atheists don't meet up to talk about a lack of belief in god. Atheism is only about a lack of belief in god. The fact this is "atheistforums" may be seen as a grouping, but that definitely does not mean consensus of opinion beyond "lack of belief in a god". As individuals we all have our own opinions on the universe etc and naturally disagree on that. You also make an assumption there is a mandate to convert which isn't true.
It differs from individual to individual.

I would also state, that while not exclusively atheist, those who take a keen interest in the workings of the universe, are by default more closely attuned to it.

Anyway, all your points are valid, and worth discussing in detail, so go ahead and make a thread on the points that interest you most, and we'll hopefully have an interesting and challenging discussion.

Hope to see you around.
Self-authenticating private evidence is useless, because it is indistinguishable from the illusion of it. ― Kel, Kelosophy Blog

If you’re going to watch tele, you should watch Scooby Doo. That show was so cool because every time there’s a church with a ghoul, or a ghost in a school. They looked beneath the mask and what was inside?
The f**king janitor or the dude who runs the waterslide. Throughout history every mystery. Ever solved has turned out to be. Not Magic.
― Tim Minchin, Storm
Welcome
(March 12, 2012 at 5:00 am)mazeroni Wrote: I re read what I wrote and this may end up coming across as rambling as I haven't gathered my thoughts rightly enough. There is a point at the end though! This may be better in a different section.

Welcome mazeroni. We all ramble from time to time.

(March 12, 2012 at 5:00 am)mazeroni Wrote: So, I'm looking for a discussion. I've been struggling with life in general lately, I would amount it to depression or loneliness, kind of but not really, I don't really know, it's sort of an empty feeling that nothing I do matters. It forces me to think about things I normally wouldn't otherwise and because of my work schedule I am up for most of the night alone in my room which doesn't help.

Any way you could get out more? It really helps. Maybe you could start a Meetup for people who work odd shifts.

(March 12, 2012 at 5:00 am)mazeroni Wrote: Just a little back story.

I was raised Roman Catholic and the church has made me the kind , caring, respectful, and considerate person I am today. My household wasn't strict about religion other then you go to church on Sunday and then go to the hour long school afterwards. I did all of the rituals from baptism to confirmation. My grandparents on both sides are deeply religious, one of my grandfathers is a part time minister and one of my grandmothers prays the rosary probably 50 times a night for each person in the whole extended family. Neither are hard core religious they go about their business normally and don't bother others. For me none of my current actions are guided by the idea that I'll go to hell if I think other then what the bible says. I personally learned to understand that as long as we ourselves believe what we are doing is right, and we are willing to listen to someone that tells us we are doing something bad, then there isn't anything wrong. If there is a god he can't really judge us for the environment we were raised (child soldiers in Africa, sociopath, being abused, molested and not being afforded help) but he/she/it can judge us if we commit murder knowing full well it is wrong. In the same vein we are allowed to question god and the world because, yes, he designed us in his image therefor. That doesn't mean he is a human being but I'll kind of talk about that in a second.

I'm glad you had a good upbringing, and that your family believes in a God that's a little more forgiving than the one depicted by many other people.

(March 12, 2012 at 5:00 am)mazeroni Wrote: I haven't gone to church in years, when I was home from college my Mom would bitch if I didn't. One day I wouldn't go and she yelled at me, "You aren't going to make me lose my religion." I brought it up later but she never really talked about it again. I can only assume, because she loves her children so much, perhaps sees it as it is her letting god down if she can't get me to go or a failure on her part. She was raised in a different time period and is arguably uneducated (she is a great Mom though.)

I would hope you not going to church wouldn't make your mom lose her religion. Parents can be upset when they think their children are endangering their souls and the things that come out of their mouths may not be very rational.

(March 12, 2012 at 5:00 am)mazeroni Wrote: My Dad is very intelligent and he will read and watch programs on every scientific subject imaginable. He is heavily involved in the church but doesn't talk about religion. He also understands the world from different points of view unlike my Mom. When I went to church I'd roll my eyes most of the time during the sermons, I look around and see people nodding as the paster is speaking and I feel like I'm starring at sheep. I subscribe to the thinking that we should really figure things for ourselves, religion is a great guiding stick but at some point you need to let go. Read the bible and come to your own conclusions.

Realizing the value of thinking for yourself is necessary in order to have a free mind.

(March 12, 2012 at 5:00 am)mazeroni Wrote: I don't agree with organized religion for many reasons. Religion IS the creation of man. I do believe that there was a man called Jesus, evidence supports that claim, and he absolutely changed the course of the world. However, I would debate what his relationship to god was and if any of his miracles were real. Obviously he was crucified for being a rebel and governments feared the following he gathered and this new way of thinking. Ignoring religion for a moment I feel spirituality is something far different and far greater. Spirituality could be due to the evolution of the mind trying to deal with 'consciousness/ soul' as we gained awareness of existence or it is something given to us along the way after we evolved far enough to satisfy whatever greater being is out there, which would be why Jesus came to existence, or we had it all along. If we had it all along then the thinking would be the the soul has nothing to do with being homosapiens, it is just a force acting on us and can leave and arrive whenever. Okay, I don't know, it's a thought. We do know that the practice of spirituality/ worship/etc. has taken place for far longer then we could probably find fossils for which I find to be significant, as is the concept of the life we have, love, etc. I'll get to love in a second.

Interesting.

(March 12, 2012 at 5:00 am)mazeroni Wrote: I'll get to my point now.

I can't accept 'Atheism' and this is where I'm looking for discussion. It seems there are too many different schools of thought and you all suffer the same stereotypes you fight against in the religious crowd. I've seen it surfing the forums and in public. Yes, there are Christians who are ignorant and are incapable of thinking for themselves, follow circular logic or plan 'ol lack an understanding of their own religions history. You guys have that too. Most of it seems to come from pissed off teenagers. I wish I had a better example for my perspective but it seems to boil down to something like this, "IF there was a god then why is [____] insert war, drugs, genocide, environment, rape, blah blah blah because rational thought says [____] insert quote, scientific, study, spaghetti monster etc. A lot of it seems to be a lack of understanding of your own material, again, in the same way religious individuals can't separate spirituality and religion.

To me the core of Atheism is the desire to remove religion from humanity because it impedes on our evolution of rational thought, science, education or understanding the universe, creates wars, etc.

The core and the totality of atheism is not believing in any God or gods.

(March 12, 2012 at 5:00 am)mazeroni Wrote: I don't disagree with that. However there seems to be a larger goal of trying to, 'kill god,' which I don't understand.

I presume you mean something like 'kill belief in God'. I don't see that most atheists exert themselves overmuch in such efforts. The ones that do tend to get some press and are more likely to be making their case on the internet, I suppose. You're talking about 'antitheism'.

(March 12, 2012 at 5:00 am)mazeroni Wrote: I see existence, the people we meet, our experiences as significant. Yes, I understand the water in the puddle analogy of, "If rain woke up in a ditch as a puddle it might say, 'this hole was obviously made for me." I don't have the exact quote but it is something like that. We are a product of our environment in essence. To me there is a difference between survival and purpose. Deer, fish, birds fight for survival. For us to survive we captured fire, built houses and made weapons. We evolved along a different path and yes we have flaws. We have to have flaw and doubt. Those doubts and flaws give us drive to better ourselves as a species. If we all knew there was a god and he visited us regularly what would be the point of doing anything? We pray and god gives us what we want? There wouldn't be any significance to life. Right? In a way life is one big lesson, for some it is easier and some harder, longer or shorter. So, why would our minds evolve to form consciousness and love? Yes, love binds us together which makes our species stronger as a pack, smart evolution, and consciousness allows us the desire to say ,'I,' to build and create.

I don't think we're the only species that loves, and although we may have the most advanced consciousness, consciousness is also not exclusive to humans. Our minds evolved this way because it helped us survive as a social species.

(March 12, 2012 at 5:00 am)mazeroni Wrote: I've hit a dead end but I'll leave it at this as said on South Park. On discussion of evolution, "Couldn't it be the answer to how and not why."
Quote:Depends on what the question is.

[quote='mazeroni' pid='252909' dateline='1331542830']
Obviously, I've taken the side of creationism here but I want to know your thoughts on spirituality and your fellow Atheists.

I was getting the impression more of theistically-guided evolution that outright creationism. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

[quote='mazeroni' pid='252909' dateline='1331542830']
Do you think there is a rift in your own community, a lack of knowledge or central guidance?

If you mean 'community of atheists', we aren't organized enough to have rifts.

(March 12, 2012 at 5:00 am)mazeroni Wrote: IF you had guidance or a set of rules you would be stronger, but then you would just be another religion of sheeople, right?

Nobody is free from the responsibility to choose their own morals. Deciding to live up to some religious code is still a moral choice, although it may be the last one a person makes. We aren't united at all, any appearance of unity among atheists is an illusion: what you're actually seeing is unity among humanists and rational skeptics. If you lived in Asia you'd more likely see an appearance of unity among atheists which is really a unity among communists. That said, we are much less fractured than theists are. It may be there are a finite number of ways to be an atheist, while there are a potentially infinite number of ways to be a theist.

(March 12, 2012 at 5:00 am)mazeroni Wrote: Is there a better way to approach religious individuals to allow them to see a 'godless' way of thinking?

There are lots of ways for an atheist who feels like approaching religous individuals to do so. Which is 'better' depends on the circumstances. I think going door-to-door might be a bit much.

(March 12, 2012 at 5:00 am)mazeroni Wrote: Are people who are Atheist just unfathomably disconnected from the universe around us that you would rather dissect and study a carcass then just sit watch how the creature behaves and its importance for existence?

No.

(March 12, 2012 at 5:00 am)mazeroni Wrote: Or is studying the carcass what we are meant to do?

Fortunately, it's not an either-or thing. We can watch the creature's behavior AND dissect its carcass.

(March 12, 2012 at 5:00 am)mazeroni Wrote: I may have made omissions or included poor grammar, forgive me for that.

No worries, and again, welcome.

mazeroni Wrote:I was raised Roman Catholic and the church has made me the kind , caring, respectful, and considerate person I am today.

Did it really? I was one too and it didn't look like that at all, oh well, personal experiences.

Welcome
Welcome aboard, kind of went off into la-la land about evidence for jesus, souls/spirits, religion being older than "fossils"..i think you mean artifacts, and the artifacts are actually how we determine how long we have been "religious" (a hell of a long time btw)....but....welcome aboard.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(March 12, 2012 at 1:07 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Welcome aboard, kind of went off into la-la land about evidence for jesus, souls/spirits, religion being older than "fossils"..i think you mean artifacts, and the artifacts are actually how we determine how long we have been "religious" (a hell of a long time btw)....but....welcome aboard.

Thanks for the replies. I didn't know what I was getting into when I posted which I guess is why I wrote so much. I'll spend more time going through some of the sub sections and figure out what is what,
mazeroni Wrote:To me the core of Atheism is the desire to remove religion from humanity because it impedes on our evolution of rational thought,

For some atheists yes, but not all of them. Many of us would just like to see religion quit influencing our lives such as politicians wanting to impliment biblical law. I don't care what people believe as long as those believes don't impede on my life.

Some of their beliefs, however, can be outright dangerous. Like the people that believe global warming can't be true becuase it would cause the polar ice caps to melt, flooding the world, and god promised in the bible that he would never flood the world again. These are the kind of things that almost all atheists would like to put an end to.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Welcome.
Cunt

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up Hello Hello loush 17 5973 December 13, 2010 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: theophilus
  Hello hello! DgyJff 8 3637 August 30, 2010 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: RachelSkates