Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 17, 2024, 10:33 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pleased;new ISP
Pleased;new ISP
I has a new internet. A nice man came yesterday and installed it. I'm so pleased I could just shit. Not only has my download speed gone from 1.7 8 Mbps to 9 Mbps,it comes with a Wifi modem,which means I now also have a wireless connection for my laptop,at much faster speed.. I have ethernet to my PC.

Cost to me: $10 (delivery charge, the mean bastards) A bundle, my lan line remains at $28 a month.I was already with them for that.. Broadband is $50 a month with a 200GB allowance,which counts uploads. The old ISP was $50 a month for 100 GB but they did not count uploads. This should work out fine.

With the old ISP, I had a problem with email. I will try setting up Thunderbird again.

RE: Pleased;new ISP
Pfft, allowances. I'd rather spend the extra for unlimited downloading / uploading. Then again, I do use the internet a load, and I have a server running on my house.
(March 15, 2012 at 6:55 pm)Tiberius Wrote: Pfft, allowances. I'd rather spend the extra for unlimited downloading / uploading. Then again, I do use the internet a load, and I have a server running on my house.

I download a maximum of 100GB a month,so this suits me just fine. I took the deal because of the increased speed and Wifi modem,at no extra cost to me.

Cost is relevant to me, what with being a self funded retiree.Tiger

Let me get this straight.. you pay to just use a limited amount of internet, and have to pay extra for more?

I have clearwire with a wireless router. I paid $80 for the modem, and I pay $45 a month for unlimited high-speed. It works great.

The modem is about 10 inches tall, and an inch wide. You plug an ethernet cord into it, the other end into your computer. You plug it in to an outlet, then you have internet. They had a more expensive modem with wireless built into it, but I already had a very nice router. Also I spent an extra $15 for the little laptop internet adapter. Wherever I take my laptop, for the same monthly price, I have the internet.

I just looked it up for you, and they say they're trying to bring clearwire to more places overseas. When/if it does come where you are, I recommend it. It's no muss/no fuss, and it's super fast.

I pay £18.50 a month for 32Mbps and unlimited downloads with a free wifi router and in October the speed is being doubled at no extra cost so I'm pretty happy with that Big Grin
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
Quote:Let me get this straight.. you pay to just use a limited amount of internet, and have to pay extra for more?

Not quite, my speed is throttled back to 256 Kbps once (if) I meet my allowance.

Here the Telco industry is a monopoly. By that I mean one company,Telstra, owns all of the infrastructure; cables, phone exchanges,lan lines.Not sure about wireless technology. That means that ALL ISP MUST wholesale their services from Telstra,so there is no actual competition..

This is a legacy from when Telstra was a government monopoly,along with most other essential services. Today the government is a minority shareholder.

An attempt is being made to address the issue.Australian is spending tens of $billions on a national fibre optic network. Telstra is only a part owner. However,so far it has been less than an outstanding success in areas in which it has been set up,due to cost. This may change in time if pricing becomes more competitive..
I have 28Mbps DSL unlimited traffic internet + Cable TV + phone with free national landline calls for 51 euros/month. I didn't pay for the installation because the company was doing a promotion since they upgraded the lines in my area.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ISP's selling your data Sterben 2 415 October 24, 2017 at 9:39 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  ISP Web Activity Data Love 3 1505 May 17, 2013 at 11:35 pm
Last Post: dazzn