Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 1:40 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
£27,000,000 for NHS chaplains
£27,000,000 for NHS chaplains
I like the idea of a 'free' health service. It feels right and humane to look after the poor as well as the rich BUT I have just learned that the British National Health Service includes the provision of Christian chaplains at a cost of £27,000,000 ($43,000,000) to the tax-payer regardless of their religion or beliefs.

What other hidden religious charges are we paying?
A sensible man should not demand of me, or hope that when we mention a subject, we shall make a complete exposition of it. - Maimonides
RE: £27,000,000 for NHS chaplains
This is the problem with any public service: beauracracy.

I'd rather concern myself with the fact that we have unelected people (including bishops) in the House of Lords, that Christianity is the state religion, and that we still have a monarchy, than worry about £27 million.
(March 22, 2012 at 7:00 am)Tiberius Wrote: This is the problem with any public service: beauracracy.

I'd rather concern myself with the fact that we have unelected people (including bishops) in the House of Lords, that Christianity is the state religion, and that we still have a monarchy, than worry about £27 million.

But £27 million is a lot of money... hell, were I to have that much: I could spend a half-million a year and be totally set for 54 years 0.o Hell, I'd outright buy the fish site from my parents today.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
You could live a rich life only from the interest you'd gain fom those 27 mil Sae, you wouldn't need to touch them.

Einstein Wrote:Compound interest is the most powerful force in the universe.
That reminds me of a quote I saw on reddit the other day. Someone said that "the first trillionaire will be because of mining asteroids". Someone (far more intelligent) responded "the first trillionaire will be because of inflation".

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jehovah's Witnesses 'did not report 1,000 abusers zebo-the-fat 22 5310 July 29, 2015 at 5:03 am
Last Post: robvalue
  The universe appears "old", but it is still less than 10,000 years old Justtristo 402 219157 March 4, 2014 at 4:23 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd