Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 3:41 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do's and Don'ts
Do's and Don'ts
The rules are pretty clear on what not to do on this forum. Just needed some specific questions to be answered. Is it allowed to:

1) Quote verses from the Bible to support my arguments? Bible is the infallible word of God (for me) so it would be a very good tool for me to support my views.

2) Pray for others? It's my Christian duty to pray for others, so can I do the same on this forum?

3) Use quotations from Authority to support my views? My Pastor is my source of inspiration and knowledge so I would like to use some references from him in discussions.
RE: Do's and Don'ts
(March 25, 2012 at 5:03 am)Christian Wrote: The rules are pretty clear on what not to do on this forum. Just needed some specific questions to be answered. Is it allowed to:

1) Quote verses from the Bible to support my arguments? Bible is the infallible word of God (for me) so it would be a very good tool for me to support my views.
Yes but don't expect others to lie down and accept that the bible has any credibility.
Quote:2) Pray for others? It's my Christian duty to pray for others, so can I do the same on this forum?
Apparently it is ok according to Tiberius since it isn't preaching. Personally, I find it to be preaching and condescending and I am pretty sure lots of others find it that way too.
Quote:3) Use quotations from Authority to support my views? My Pastor is my source of inspiration and knowledge so I would like to use some references from him in discussions.

I don't see why quoting anyone would be wrong but you have to understand not everybody here (read that as almost nobody) would accept your pastor as an authority in anything except scamming his congregation out of money.
If you're going to pray for others, I suggest you don't say so or write it down. A good many of us here might not give a shit, but a good many others would get offended. If you write down what you're praying for, I have a feeling it would look perilously close to preaching.

Be careful about your quoting. Be sure it phrase it expressly so it appears as a reference quote and not an attempt to "bring the good word." We're not ignorant of the Bible here, so don't act as such.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
1) Yes, as long as the quotes are supporting an argument and aren't just being pasted for no reason.

2) Yes, as long as you don't demand people pray with you. Also, I was pretty sure that prayer took place in one's own mind, so I fail to see how we could stop you from doing that anyway.

3) Yes, as long as you realise that quotes from people who aren't actual authorities on the subjects they are talking about won't be taken seriously. See: Appeal to Authority.
(March 25, 2012 at 5:17 am)Tiberius Wrote: quotes from people who aren't actual authorities on the subjects they are talking about won't be taken seriously.

This needs to be posted in a big red font on the page everyone sees when they register for this forum. IOW, I am in 1000010000% agreement with this.
It seems to me that your role on this forum is simply as a mouthpiece for the Bible and your Pastor and that you don't really have any opinions or original thoughts yourself. Whilst not actually against the rules I find that quite distasteful and certainly against the 'spirit' of a discussion forum.

If you constantly have to refer to and be informed by dogma, doctrine and external opinion to voice your views then they are not your views and, in my personal opinion, have no place in this community.
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
(March 25, 2012 at 5:33 am)Darwinian Wrote: It seems to me that your role on this forum is simply as a mouthpiece for the Bible and your Pastor and that you don't really have any opinions or original thoughts yourself. Whilst not actually against the rules I find that quite distasteful and certainly against the 'spirit' of a discussion forum.

If you constantly have to refer to and be informed by dogma, doctrine and external opinion to voice your views then they are not your views and, in my personal opinion, have no place in this community.

He has to have at least one redeeming quality that remains hidden for the moment otherwise he wouldn't be Forsaken's friend.
(March 25, 2012 at 5:33 am)Darwinian Wrote: It seems to me that your role on this forum is simply as a mouthpiece for the Bible and your Pastor and that you don't really have any opinions or original thoughts yourself. Whilst not actually against the rules I find that quite distasteful and certainly against the 'spirit' of a discussion forum.

He constantly reminds me of:

[Image: Ned-Flanders-and-Rev-Lovejoy.jpg]
(March 25, 2012 at 5:03 am)Christian Wrote: 1) Quote verses from the Bible to support my arguments?
So long as you provide something more substantial than long extracts from the Bible, then yes, its fine with me.

Quote:2) Pray for others? It's my Christian duty to pray for others, so can I do the same on this forum?
No, because its not communicating with us for one thing, its counter-productive since we don't believe, and lastly, as a Christian you should know its very hypocritical of you to pray in public. Prayer is supposed to be a private thing between you and your creator-thingy. If you're worried for our 'Caspers' then do it with sky mommy in private please.

Quote:3) Use quotations from Authority to support my views? My Pastor is my source of inspiration and knowledge so I would like to use some references from him in discussions.
Like with number 1, so long as you provide something more substantial than long extracts, and you don't make one appeal to authority after another, then its fine with me to give them a shameless plug if you want.
I wanna play.

(March 25, 2012 at 5:03 am)Christian Wrote: 1) Quote verses from the Bible to support my arguments? Bible is the infallible word of God (for me) so it would be a very good tool for me to support my views.

2) Pray for others? It's my Christian duty to pray for others, so can I do the same on this forum?

3) Use quotations from Authority to support my views? My Pastor is my source of inspiration and knowledge so I would like to use some references from him in discussions.

1) Nothing the bible says can be considered true simply because the bible says it is. All quoting that book will get you is a lot of mockery. If you can't back up your claims with solid evidence born of reality then don't waste our time (that includes your own).

2) As everyone else has pointed out, it might be best if you keep your prayers to yourself. It does nothing to further a discussion and only serves to irritate people. If you tell me that you are praying for me, I'll just laugh at you.

3) If you quote someone (anyone), credit them. Other than that, so long as you don't preach, I don't care who you quote. Just remember that quoting someone else's opinion is not the best way to take part in a discussion. Why do we care what some random pastor thinks? We already think he's wrong. He IS a pastor, afterall.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Real world example of "I don't even know what I don't even know" ErGingerbreadMandude 24 3924 January 25, 2017 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: KUSA