Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 11:10 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Real world example of "I don't even know what I don't even know"
Real world example of "I don't even know what I don't even know"
I'm colorblind and I also don't know which is which color. Essentially I don't even know what I don't even know.
RE: Real world example of "I don't even know what I don't even know"
That is the beginning of truly learning.

Colors are an illusion, mannn
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]
I'm colorblind, too. For all I know, people could be making shit up and having a laugh behind my back. One of my bucket list items is to try those glasses that supposedly fix it.

Non-colorblind people don't know how good they have it. Every time someone says to me, "Hand me that red one," I want to be like, "Woah, check your privelage, bro! Stop making me feel inferior and use descriptions everyone can see."

BTW, the worst part about being colorblind? Whenever someone finds out about it the first thing they do is ask you what color something is. Every. Fucking. Time.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
hmmm, what color am I?
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

(January 24, 2017 at 1:17 pm)pool the great Wrote: I'm colorblind and I also don't know which is which color. Essentially I don't even know what I don't even know.

Well one thing you could do... I don't know if it would help or not but it looks like it might... is, just as a fun experiment and maybe to be able to deduce something from it; most paint packages allow you to manipulate colours in the image by RGB value. So even if you can't see a particular colour... as in distinguish it from another... you could still set it by its value instead. Then you'd have something to work with in deducing what range of colours you can't see/distinguish. For instance if you took an average image and gradually removed the red component from the whole image... which you can do usually at the slide of a slider... would the two images look exactly the same? or if not... if you could perceive a difference in the images at some point, that might tell you something about the extent of the colourblindness. I don't know if this would work... it's just an idea... but it sounds reasonable enough and I'd like to try it myself to have an idea of how a colourblind person might see the world (ie an image with the red component removed) and maybe be able to settle a long standing, but friendly and jokey, dispute with my dad about the colour of a piece of furniture... I maintain he's colourblind, he maintains I am but if this works, maybe it could prove it one way or the other by who perceives a difference in the colours or not, with the RGB values to prove they're different.
Would that method replace the red, for instance, with grey, as I assume the colorblind brain does?

(January 24, 2017 at 2:26 pm)Faith No More Wrote: I'm colorblind, too.  For all I know, people could be making shit up and having a laugh behind my back.  One of my bucket list items is to try those glasses that supposedly fix it.

Non-colorblind people don't know how good they have it.  Every time someone says to me, "Hand me that red one," I want to be like, "Woah, check your privelage, bro!  Stop making me feel inferior and use descriptions everyone can see."

BTW, the worst part about being colorblind?  Whenever someone finds out about it the first thing they do is ask you what color something is.  Every.  Fucking.  Time.

Interestingly the best part about not being colorblind is getting to smugly ask a colorblind person what color different objects are.
Sorry...I had to.
(January 24, 2017 at 5:03 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: Would that method replace the red, for instance, with grey, as I assume the colorblind brain does?

I don't know. The only two people I know who are colourblind have exactly the same problem; they can't tell brown and green apart so whenever we play or watch Snooker, they can't tell those two balls apart. I can't remember if they also have difficulty with the red balls... maybe. So assuming brown has quite a lot of red in it and it appears as green, I'm not sure about the greyness you suggest. I'm curious too... in a worst case scenario where someone had no red-sensitive cones at all... only green and blue... so total red colour blindness... what would they perceive on an image with three bars, like the French flag but different colours; of pure red, green, and blue... would the red bar be blank/grey/black or one of the other colours? No idea.
Yeah, I'm admittedly ignorant of color-blindness. I'd be interested in hearing what anyone more knowledgeable would have to say.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do you know today that you didn't know yesterday? BrianSoddingBoru4 3648 193777 5 hours ago
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  What did you know yesterday that you don't know today? Gawdzilla Sama 14 1069 December 4, 2023 at 9:43 am
Last Post: brewer
  I don't know how they do it. onlinebiker 98 7222 November 1, 2019 at 8:38 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Let me know how much I've upset you or you don't want me here. Foxaèr 34 5867 April 28, 2018 at 5:23 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  I know something you don't know... Jackalope 98 17276 April 22, 2018 at 9:00 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  I bet I don't even win the Mostedest Posts Posted Award Foxaèr 18 2109 April 9, 2018 at 9:34 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Ever feel like you don't belong in this world? Foxaèr 44 4741 April 3, 2018 at 5:48 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  What is a good example of a paradox? ƵenKlassen 62 8306 December 4, 2017 at 8:15 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Someone told me to kill myself twice today, I don't know why it's been bothering me Phosphorescent Panties 48 5774 April 12, 2016 at 11:41 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Tell me something I don't know Longhorn 123 11772 May 25, 2015 at 4:06 pm
Last Post: Alex K