Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 4:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MP's Expenses (UK): Whistle Blower Should Be Prosecuted!
MP's Expenses (UK): Whistle Blower Should Be Prosecuted!
Friend of mine posted this on Facebook: "This guy should go to jail, after all he committed a crime and sold private information disregarding the data protection act. It matters not that the public like the information it is still a crime."

I disagree but I thought I'd ask what other UK'ers thought first?

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
RE: MP's Expenses (UK): Whistle Blower Should Be Prosecuted!
(May 23, 2009 at 10:36 am)Kyuuketsuki Wrote: Friend of mine posted this on Facebook: "This guy should go to jail, after all he committed a crime and sold private information disregarding the data protection act. It matters not that the public like the information it is still a crime."

I disagree but I thought I'd ask what other UK'ers thought first?

Kyu

Harking back to a previous thread, it would be a crime that is understandable and of merit.
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?
England like America is a nation of laws. For instance, it is immaterial if waterboarding (torture) worked and saved every life in the universe, it is still illegal.

I believe in this situation the state should prosecute as it is required to do so, and a jury should nullify the law for this particular case. (Yes, I believe in jury nullification.)
"On Earth as it is in Heaven, the Cosmic Roots of the Bible" available on the Amazon.
Ah, but that assumes the Law is always right. It is not and sometimes must be protested against or even broken e.g. freedom of expresion supressed etc.

On the other hand, once you make an exeption, you must make others and this can lead to farce, so it is a tricky one. I will opt out and let the courts decide.
Actually, my friend is wrong on one thing ... the data protection act has nothing to do with an individuals responsibility to not divulge that data, the data protection act covers the responsibility of companies (and their employees I suppose) to safely store data and keep it secure etc. making it only available to those with the proper authority to access it. At least that's how I understand it.

He did, however, claim another thing which is that the whistleblower didn't just give the expense data to the newspaper but gave them a CD full of credit card details and much, much more than the information that we (the public) believe we have the right to know and if that is so then there is reason for concern. I do not know if this is true.

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!

(May 27, 2009 at 3:04 pm)Kyuuketsuki Wrote: Actually, my friend is wrong on one thing ... the data protection act has nothing to do with an individuals responsibility to not divulge that data, the data protection act covers the responsibility of companies (and their employees I suppose) to safely store data and keep it secure etc. making it only available to those with the proper authority to access it. At least that's how I understand it.

I had to dig through this data protection act (as it is applicable in my job and for the Robot Association in the UK) which is quite boring I might add, and it also has the provision that if you think or know data is available about you by a company that you are allowed to see that data concerning you or data related to you. It also makes sure that companies and their employees are not allowed to sell or disclose the data to others without permission.

There are however 17 pages of exemptions, exceptions, and loopholes in that same act. It will be quite hard to make any accusation stick.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
(May 27, 2009 at 5:23 pm)leo-rcc Wrote: It will be quite hard to make any accusation stick.

You're probably right Smile

Kyu
Angry Atheism

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Should I stay or should I go? POLITICAL op/ed Brian37 53 6848 August 26, 2021 at 11:43 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  This Sick 20-Year-Old Wants Her Parents Prosecuted Manowar 15 1901 April 16, 2016 at 7:10 pm
Last Post: Excited Penguin