Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 3:14 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Judgement
Question 
Judgement
Do you think that, unless we convert to your religion/believe what you believe, the atheists here will be punished by god/sent hell?

I don't personally believe in hell, or gods, or smiting. I'm just curious. It was supposed to be a poll, but I'm lazy, so just tell me what you believe.

[Image: HytOr.jpg]

RE: Judgement
[Image: zndlw9uqfc.jpg]
(March 25, 2012 at 10:23 pm)aleialoura Wrote: Do you think that, unless we convert to your religion/believe what you believe, the atheists here will be punished by god/sent hell?
Yeah, I think so. =(

But of course, you know that my beliefs doesn't necessarily have to be a correct statement about reality.

(March 25, 2012 at 11:39 pm)Rayaan Wrote: But of course, you know that my beliefs doesn't necessarily have to be a correct statement about reality.

That admission is one of the better definitions of 'faith' that I've heard yet.
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
Nope. I am a "strong" atheist. The evidence for hell or heaven is zero. Worse, it CANNOT be DISproven. As we all know, any information that can neither be proven nor disproven is as absolutely false as it can get.
I think it's highly improbable.

First of all, I need not list my reasons why religion is as pointless as listing my reasons why I dismiss faeries. Therefore no hell, no heaven too.

Secondly, if we were to claim the acceptance of a moral absolute, in that our instinctual reaction towards what is "good" is our proximity to God, then our natural instinct generally it seems, is that it would be immoral to send good people to hell for the crime of not believing, despite the rational basis for doing so.
Therefore, if a god did exist, and our moral instincts were a reflection of his will, then our moral instincts tell us that we do not go to hell, as long as we're basically pretty decent people.

To coin it as the anti-pascals wager, it is safer to not believe, and just try to be a kind, loving person anyway in accordance with our moral instincts, than it is to take a doctrine of morality from other people out of a choice of hundreds, which in many cases promotes hatred and prejudice, things many of us feel to be instinctively immoral.
Self-authenticating private evidence is useless, because it is indistinguishable from the illusion of it. ― Kel, Kelosophy Blog

If you’re going to watch tele, you should watch Scooby Doo. That show was so cool because every time there’s a church with a ghoul, or a ghost in a school. They looked beneath the mask and what was inside?
The f**king janitor or the dude who runs the waterslide. Throughout history every mystery. Ever solved has turned out to be. Not Magic.
― Tim Minchin, Storm
(March 26, 2012 at 2:29 am)Creed of Heresy Wrote: Nope. I am a "strong" atheist. The evidence for hell or heaven is zero. Worse, it CANNOT be DISproven. As we all know, any information that can neither be proven nor disproven is as absolutely false as it can get.

Can you disprove any imaginary being though? You can't disprove fairies are real, really, other than to say there is no evidence to prove their existence, and point to the fact that they are only mentioned in known fictional books.

So you can't really disprove the existence of a fictional being, but you should always be able to conclusively prove the existence of a factual, real, being!

Not being able to prove god is real therefore is a massive clue, if you ask me.

Whoever coined the phrase "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence" wants a slap, because quite often absence of evidence is evidence of absence.

You are currently experiencing a lucky and very brief window of awareness, sandwiched in between two periods of timeless and utter nothingness. So why not make the most of it, and stop wasting your life away trying to convince other people that there is something else? The reality is obvious.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Judgement. Mystic 24 2972 January 5, 2017 at 1:54 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Judgement: g-mark 15 6279 May 13, 2009 at 10:46 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet