Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 1:24 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Is God really a volcano
Is God really a volcano
I what a thunderf00t video that from the bible make got sound a little to much like a volcano.

what do you think?
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
'I am driven by two main philosophies:
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
RE: Is God really a volcano
Does anyone remember that megathread with the volcano psycho in it?

I'm not sure what caused the god myth. I do think natural disasters helped.
Interesting interpretation, sounds plausible, and weird.
You, yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.

There are only two mistakes one can make along the road to truth; not going all the way, and not starting.

Buddha FSM Grin

There are no active volcanoes in Egypt/Sinai. Thus when he asks the question of "what is more likely" the answer is that someone made all this happy horseshit up.
The alternative is believing in a bloodthirsty dictator who micro-manages to a point of genocidal directives. So yeah, it's very probable.
[Image: Evolution.png]

(March 26, 2012 at 11:05 pm)Shell B Wrote: Does anyone remember that megathread with the volcano psycho in it?

Yes. My first thought upon seeing.this thread was "here we go again".

Fortunately I suspect the OP of this thread is sane.
Well sane or not; thunderfoot's hypothesis seems to carry more validity than the written fantasy story
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(March 27, 2012 at 1:12 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: Well sane or not; thunderfoot's hypothesis seems to carry more validity than the written fantasy story

As Min pointed out, there are no active volcanoes in the Egypt/Sinai region. At first glance that would seem to cast doubt on the hypothesis.

However, there are a few volcanoes in the Mediterranean, and as it appears that the biblical accounts were likely born out of oral tradition, its possible that its borrowed folklore from elsewhere.
(March 26, 2012 at 11:05 pm)Shell B Wrote: Does anyone remember that megathread with the volcano psycho in it?

I'm not sure what caused the god myth. I do think natural disasters helped.

one of my favourite quotes;

Quote:Religion: Man's attempt to communicate with the weather (graffito,London, 1985)
Love that quote Pad Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If in the end, you found that god really existed... Pyrrho 33 6515 June 4, 2015 at 11:43 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Is God really real or are people simply deluded? RobertE 117 18127 March 14, 2015 at 2:14 pm
Last Post: IATIA
  Help! I can't decide which is REALLY God's word! Mudhammam 1 1304 March 1, 2015 at 7:49 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Yahweh Volcano Fire God of War: Updated TheJackel 17 11676 February 21, 2015 at 4:19 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  God is love. God is just. God is merciful. Chad32 62 19385 October 21, 2014 at 9:55 am
Last Post: Cheerful Charlie
  Does Prayer Really Work? Does God Even Care? Eel_LahjicK 63 11594 August 18, 2014 at 6:13 pm
Last Post: ShaMan
  What the God debate is really about Mudhammam 51 9415 March 14, 2014 at 8:30 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Is god really omniscient? Lemonvariable72 49 8941 November 5, 2013 at 6:56 am
Last Post: Tonus
  Yahweh: The worshiping of a Volcano / fire GOD of War. TheJackel 52 31860 April 14, 2012 at 1:48 am
Last Post: TheJackel
  What would God really want? 5thHorseman 11 3183 October 19, 2011 at 4:07 am
Last Post: 5thHorseman