Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:05 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Complain to the BBC
Complain to the BBC
I'm sitting here, gob-smacked, watching a programme on BBC1 called That's The Spirit.

And this preacher has just said, to the nation, that penicillin is wonderful because it can cure the body, but the power of the holy spirit is even more powerful and has greater healing powers because it heals the body from the inside.

How can the BBC allow such rubbish to be broadcast to the population of Britain? Basically saying that conventional medicine is ok but the power of God is much better.

Putting out messages like that will, I'm sure, make vulnerable and less intelligent people think, "Hey, I don't need to go to the doctor, all I need is the power of the Holy Spirit!" I would have expected this from some third world fundamentalist church, but not the BBC!!!

Make A COMPLAINT Here!

Aaaaaarrrgghhhh!!!!
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
RE: Complain to the BBC
I think the question is, was the preacher a guest or a presenter ... if the latter then he's entitled to think what the fuck he likes, if presenter then he should potentially be complained about because he represents the BBC.

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
Speaking of the BBC, last night there was a fascinating film called "Filth; The Mary Whitehouse Story"

Mary was a rather stupid anal retentive bigot who rose to prominence in the UK in the early 1960's for trying to "clean up" BBC. By that she meant any content with which she disagreed, but most expecially anything hinting at sex. I guess she thought it might lead to dancing. The horror is, Mary was largely successful. She died in 2002,still complaining vociferously,but with far less influence.(well,none actually). Today they say "cunt" on the BBC quite often..

From Wiki

Quote:Mary Whitehouse CBE (13 June 1910 – 23 November 2001) was a British campaigner for what she perceived to be values of morality and decency derived from her Christian beliefs. She began by focusing her efforts on the broadcast media, which she regarded as highly influential, and where she felt these values were particularly lacking. Later, she made notable interventions over publications and theatrical productions of which she disapproved, becoming involved in several cases of litigation. She was the founder and first president of the National Viewers' and Listeners' Association, now known as mediawatch-uk

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Whitehouse

My understanding is that the BBC, like the ABC in Australia is a public broadcasting channel with an encompassing charter. Religious content is permitted.

Quote:BBC Charter
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) BBC logo
Country United Kingdom
Founded by John Reith
Motto "Nation Shall Speak Peace Unto Nation"
Website
http://www.bbc.co.uk

The BBC Charter established the BBC (or British Broadcasting Corporation). An accompanying Agreement recognises its editorial independence and sets out its public obligations in detail.

The most recent Charter was granted to the BBC on 19 September 2006. It took full effect from 1 January 2007. (The text of the Royal Charter and Agreement are available on the BBC Trust site).[1]

A number of important changes were made in the latest Charter to the Corporation's management and purpose:

* Abolition of the Board of Governors, and their replacement by the BBC Trust.
* A redefinition of the BBC's "public services" (which are considered its prime function):
o Sustaining citizenship and civil society;
o Promoting education and learning;
o Stimulating creativity and cultural excellence;
o Representing the UK, its nations, regions and communities;
o Bringing the UK to the world and the world to the UK;
o Helping to deliver to the public the benefit of emerging communications technologies and services, and taking a leading role in the switchover to digital television.
* The BBC must display at least one of the following characteristics in all content: high quality, originality, innovation, to be challenging and to be engaging.
* The BBC must demonstrate that it provides public value in all its major activities.
If the BBC issued a views and opinions disclaimer I can't find any grounds to complain.
The Mary Whitehouse story aired about a year ago. It was a very good docudrama Big Grin
Dear Mr Pritchard

Thanks for your e-mail regarding the BBC One programme 'That's The Spirit!' as broadcast on 31 May 2009.

I understand you were concerned with comments made in this programme as you felt they were irresponsible and shouldn't have been broadcast.

I'm sorry if you felt these comments were inappropriate as I can assure you we'd never seek to promote a bad example and it certainly wasn't our intention to upset any of our viewers.

We're guided by the feedback we receive and to that end I'd like to assure you that I've registered your complaint on our audience log. This is the internal report of audience feedback which we compile daily for all programme makers at BBC One, including the 'That's The Spirit!' team, and also their senior management. It ensures that your points are circulated and considered across the BBC. The audience logs are seen as important documents that can help shape decisions about future content.

Thanks again for taking the time to contact us.

Regards

Craig Thompson
BBC Complaints

---------Original Message-------------

I'm sitting here, gob-smacked, watching a programme on BBC1 called That's The Spirit.

And this preacher has just said, to the nation, that penicillin is wonderful because it can cure the body, but the power of the holy spirit is even more powerful and has greater healing powers because it heals the body from the inside.

How can the BBC allow such rubbish to be broadcast to the population of Britain? Basically saying that conventional medicine is ok but the power of God is much better.

Putting out messages like that will, I'm sure, make vulnerable and less intelligent people think, "Hey, I don't need to go to the doctor, all I need is the power of the Holy Spirit!" I would have expected this from some third world fundamentalist church, but not the BBC!!!
I received a similar letter from our ABC about a complaint I made about a show called
"Growing Up GottI". I thought it was a documentary. Instead it was reality show about the dropkick-loser offspring of notorious mafiosi scumbag, John Gotti. Their only claim to celebrity is their relationship to a human maggot.--besides,the show was as boring as dog shite.
I'd still like to know whether this preacher a guest or a presenter because, as I say above, if he was merely a guest then I imagine he is entitled to say what he wishes.

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
He was presenting the programme...
Well - that's certainly not good. I'm not surprised you complained Darwinian.

EvF

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BBC article: Big bang is there room for god? downbeatplumb 10 3940 October 20, 2012 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  BBC: Holy Water Banned To Halt Swine Flu Kyuuketsuki 15 8121 July 17, 2009 at 11:50 am
Last Post: Kyuuketsuki