Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 11:55 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BBC article: Big bang is there room for god?
BBC article: Big bang is there room for god?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-19997789

Quote:On 15 October, a group of theologians, philosophers and physicists came together for two days in Geneva to talk about the Big Bang.

So what happened when people of such different - very different - views of the Universe came together to discuss how it all began?

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

RE: BBC article: Big bang is there room for god?
How any of these guys became professors is the real mystery.
Another "we don't know, so godditit".
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
Well I believe the Catholics already accept the Big Bang Theory as valid.
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
Yeah, but they say "goddidit".
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
Standard fallback position for all of these shits, isn't it?
Room for God? Yes.

Room for Yahweh? No.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
Angel
Deist, I honestly can't see any more room for your god than any other god. Unless, by "god" you mean something entirely different from any general understanding of the word.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(October 20, 2012 at 12:34 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Unless, by "god" you mean something entirely different from any general understanding of the word.

Well, not an anthropomorphic guy with a beard on a throne somewhere, which seems to be the general theme. I just mean the mysterious mind behind the natural universe.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Big gods came after the rise of civilizations Foxaèr 24 2452 April 9, 2020 at 11:49 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  If there is a God(s) it/they clearly don't want us to believe in them, no? Duty 12 1412 April 5, 2020 at 8:36 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Are there any theists here who think God wants, or will take care of, Global Warming? Duty 16 3537 January 19, 2020 at 11:50 am
Last Post: Smedders
  Why does there need to be a God? Brian37 41 7033 July 20, 2019 at 6:37 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  For those who believe the god of abraham was behind the big bang or evolution android17ak47 49 7960 November 1, 2018 at 10:52 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  An Interesting Article on Religious Tolerance AFTT47 3 780 June 25, 2018 at 4:00 am
Last Post: Aroura
  RationalWiki article on Craig. Jehanne 56 17814 September 5, 2017 at 12:31 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  If there are no gods, doesn't making one's self a god make one a theist? Foxaèr 13 3621 May 26, 2017 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
  Article about clergy who became atheists drfuzzy 38 9473 May 8, 2017 at 12:41 pm
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  There is no doubt a god, the question is what is it? Mystic 144 16852 April 11, 2017 at 10:49 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda