Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 1:13 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The danger of religion. .
The danger of religion. .
OK, So. . . I have been thinking about some serious consequences of religion, and more so, specific churches. I have a couple of examples in mind. This thread is open to all.

Some people would sooner neglect or let a family member die than agree to a medication or blood transfusion. Do these people actually believe it is for the best? If they do, even so, how could one live knowing that a child or such died because of their actions, or lack of?

I have been thinking and two events came to mind:

A few months back, I was visiting a city and went out with my second cousins' wife and granddaughter for the day. We bought the girl some chocolate from the store, and she looked as if she'd never seen chocolate before. I asked if she did not like chocolate, and she said, "I do. I am just never given chocolate or candy at home; we also are not allowed to watch TV or go play with regular kids." At this point my eyebrow almost flew off into orbit. I asked her why not, and she replied that a couple of years ago her mother decided that her family would go to a Jehovah's witness church. I asked her what she thought of that, and she didn't say much for a moment, but a few minutes later, she said sometimes she worried. She said she learned in church that if she were in a car accident and lost blood, she would die and it scared her. She said she heard in church that blood transfusions were not allowed, and her mother told her it's because giving away blood is like accepting/giving part of a soul. She's a 10-year-old child and should not have to worry about things like that.

Then, in school several years ago, I knew a girl that was always sick. I told her she should go to the doctor, and she said her family did not allow that; they didn't believe in doctors, surgery, or medication because of their religious rules. I believe they were Christian Scientists, if I remember correctly.

So, these are my examples.

You always hear about these things to some extent, but speaking to people that it applies to - especially children - it really brings it to life and makes you think.

What is everyone's take on this? It is something I can't fathom, personally.
RE: The danger of religion. .
Quote:Do these people actually believe it is for the best?

Yes.

Because they are idiots.
JW have other weird beliefs (Source: http://watchthetower.net/reasons.html)

Being a JW seems like a good way to get out of jury duty.
Cunt
poetess Wrote:If they do, even so, how could one live knowing that a child or such died because of their actions, or lack of?

Thus is the mindset when you think this life is a test to determine where you land in an eternal life following this one. After all, what's a little unnecessary death if you believe it gets your child into heaven?
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
http://whatstheharm.net/

Long list of things where a lack of critical thinking causes harm. Religion, Pseudoscience etc.

I only get so far before I feel a bit ill to be honest, although some come across as amusing.
Self-authenticating private evidence is useless, because it is indistinguishable from the illusion of it. ― Kel, Kelosophy Blog

If you’re going to watch tele, you should watch Scooby Doo. That show was so cool because every time there’s a church with a ghoul, or a ghost in a school. They looked beneath the mask and what was inside?
The f**king janitor or the dude who runs the waterslide. Throughout history every mystery. Ever solved has turned out to be. Not Magic.
― Tim Minchin, Storm
Wow. I read a lot of things in there; it's disturbing some of the things that have been done/happened.

Though this one may not be disturbing like the rest of it, this stood out:
John Wayne "Punkin" Brown Jr.
Parrottsville, Tennessee
Died
October 3, 1998

Even though his wife had died doing it, he continued practicing snake handling in his church. He died three years later, orphaning his five children.

Snake handling? WTF.
(April 20, 2012 at 2:09 am)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:Do these people actually believe it is for the best?

Because they are idiots.

No doubt.

(April 20, 2012 at 6:12 am)Forsaken Wrote: JW have other weird beliefs (Source: http://watchthetower.net/reasons.html)

Yeah. I knew a lot of that. I just had no idea that my second cousin's step-daughter had went off her rocker. I'm with you on it being strange, though. Probably an understatement.

(April 20, 2012 at 6:39 am)Faith No More Wrote:
poetess Wrote:If they do, even so, how could one live knowing that a child or such died because of their actions, or lack of?

Thus is the mindset when you think this life is a test to determine where you land in an eternal life following this one. After all, what's a little unnecessary death if you believe it gets your child into heaven?

Yeah. What's a few deaths for a story book character? Undecided
These idiots deny themselves and their children life saving medical treatment. And they have the gall to say they "lose nothing" by believing in their deity!
Science flies us to the moon and stars. Religion flies us into buildings.

God allowed 200,000 people to die in an earthquake. So what makes you think he cares about YOUR problems?
In my opinion the people who will not allow blood transfusions especially for children because of so called "faith" are nothing more than idiots. I believe that prayer is always a good thing but so is medicine and medical attention. God has given mankind the power to heal themselves. When man is unable to heal himself sometimes God will intervene. He gave us the knowledge on how to to blood transfusions, kidney transplants and the like. It reminds me of the story about when the town flooded and the guy is traped on his roof and a lifeboat comes to save him and he refuses help and tells the crew that God will take care of it and the man drowns. In reality god sent the lifeboat.
Islam has killed millions in the last decade, lets focus all attention on Christianity!
(April 22, 2012 at 5:09 pm)deciple Wrote: In my opinion the people who will not allow blood transfusions especially for children because of so called "faith" are nothing more than idiots. I believe that prayer is always a good thing but so is medicine and medical attention. God has given mankind the power to heal themselves. When man is unable to heal himself sometimes God will intervene. He gave us the knowledge on how to to blood transfusions, kidney transplants and the like. It reminds me of the story about when the town flooded and the guy is traped on his roof and a lifeboat comes to save him and he refuses help and tells the crew that God will take care of it and the man drowns. In reality god sent the lifeboat.

That's where you are wrong.

You see, HIV spreads through blood transfusion as well. Which means, god created AIDS to punish those sinful blood transfusers. Well, it is used to punish homosexuals as well, but it is also used to punish those try to heal themselves through blood transfusions, instead of prayer like god really wants them to.