Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 12:03 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unobtanium
Unobtanium
Sorry, couldn't resist the title but it one sense it is somewhat accurate.

Bacteria (and plants) that use what is called photosystem II of the Z scheme to split water (pretty much all the Oxygen we breath is a result of this) have the Manganese Center...

[Image: 620px-Manganese_cluster.svg.png]

yet this extremely small molecule which could easily solve all the world's energy needs forever (or until mankind ceases to exist) is unable to be made by any process known to man as of yet. In that sense, it is the true unobtanium.

RE: Unobtanium
I can make it I'm just lazy Big Grin
(April 22, 2012 at 9:20 am)Insanity x Wrote: I can make it I'm just lazy Big Grin

Then you must really be an alien. Tell Ripley I said hello Smile
I'm not sure about the molecule, but I know that if man could tap into zero-point energy, we'd have all the power we could ever want or need.
But all you have to do is obtain plants, and then therefore you have obtained it. So it's not really unobtainable.
"Sisters, you know only the north; I have traveled in the south lands. There are churches there, believe me, that cut their children too, as the people of Bolvangar did--not in the same way, but just as horribly. They cut their sexual organs, yes, both boys and girls; they cut them with knives so that they shan't feel. That is what the Church does, and every church is the same: control, destroy, obliterate every good feeling. So if a war comes, and the Church is on one side of it, we must be on the other, no matter what strange allies we find ourselves bound to."

-Ruta Skadi, The Subtle Knife
Obtain plants, disregard flower-bearing females.
Geeks.(jealous)

Phil are you a scientist?
Sod Unobtanium, I want Narrativium!
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
When speaking of autotrophs, we are truly standing under the shadow of superior beings with regards to energy. While we spent millions of years trying to walk, or think, these organisms mastered organic chemistry and thus the entire planet, without needing to give the matter a single passing thought.

Worship (large)
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(April 22, 2012 at 3:51 pm)5thHorseman Wrote: Geeks.(jealous)

Phil are you a scientist?

I guess you can say that but I would say more of a degreed lab rat.