Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 17, 2024, 11:17 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hope this is where the thinkers are
Hope this is where the thinkers are
I've recently joined a few Atheist sites for the amusement of debate, not trolling, just the friendly banter of divergent ideas as you'd have in a pub.

FACEBOOK, is not the place to have intelligent discussion, (I know, what was I thinking.) Merely criticizing that atheism is turning into a religion brought such wrath I was afraid that it was going to rain frogs. Some of the atheists are so dogmatic that questions are evil that they may as well strap a bomb to themselves and blow themselves up in a deserted corn field. Would some of the corn pop? And would it prove something? Using the word 'agnostic' was like burning a koran and using urine to put it out. Not exactly the enlightened folk I saught

This is the first message board that I actually read the ToS before joining. Which says something about the dicks that you can find on your own team in other places.

I ask questions. I don't expect answers. I believe in the power of science to educate, but recognize that science evolves and canon or gaps today may change tomorrow. I believe that science can verify and falsify but some questions of a metaphysical nature are unanswerable and only a complete dickhead would argue to the contrary.

But it's that inquiry that moves us out of darkness. "See the light" is a phrase used by the religious and non-religious. You wanna see the light? open your mind!!!

Great ideas can be built on the ruins of bad ones and vice versa. Even the God concept has intriguing questions as we study the brain and it's temperal lobes, does the brain manufacture god?

I'll stick my neck out on one thing. RELIGION is EVIL. From westboro baptist to Zen buddhism, religion is going to do harm regardless of it's adherents intentions. Though, some less than others.

OH, and if you are a vegetarian or a seventh level vegan that doesn't eat anything that casts a shadow, just put me on your ignore list right now. Seriously, I don't know how diet would be a subject here, but if you are vegan, or more accurately a self-righteous vegan, we are not going to get along.

Though in the spirit of friendly debate, I am more than willing to have a civilized discussion of the erroneous presumptions of vegans, and I'll accept education of my misconceptions. But if you have a scientific outlook and are vegan, err...I don't stop at drilling holes in that argument. I pack them with high explosives, collapse it and then sift the detritus for small little gems that I can turn to dust.

But other than that I'm a pleasant, happy and openminded person. Glad to be here.
RE: Hope this is where the thinkers are
Quote:OH, and if you are a vegetarian or a seventh level vegan that doesn't eat anything that casts a shadow, just put me on your ignore list right now.

ROFLOL

There is a little of that around here.....just offer them a cheeseburger.

Welcome.
Hi there! I'm new too. Not vegan. So we can be friends!
We are are part of nature, built from the same stuff as stars, planets, asteroids, and comets. Our protons and neutrons have been around since the earliest times, glued together into heavy elements of long dead ancient suns, blasted out into the universe and resculpted from diffuse interstellar dust clouds by the gentle hand of gravity. When the pattern of atoms known to be you ceases to be, the building blocks will return to the voids of space, and in a billion years or more, they may take their place in another structure so beautiful that a future mind may perceive it to be the work of a god. ~ Brian Cox
Welcome otherwise pleasant person Smile

I'm also pleasant... until I'm not. Takes a solid while to get me there Thinking
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
I'm looking forward to what you're going to bring to the table.

Welcome =)
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
I am pretty new, not a vegan nor vegetarian, but I don't enjoy red meat. Not because of any other reason besides the simple fact that it tastes horrible to me. That, and also whole milk. Welcome! Big Grin
“Whoever will be free must make himself free. Freedom is no fairy gift to fall into a man's lap. What is freedom? To have the will to be responsible for one's self.” - Max Stirner.
Unforutnately, when you divide people along religious beliefs or lack there of, you are going to find dogmatic people in every group. It's human nature.

Welcome.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
^ The Demon Haunted World, was my favorite.
“Whoever will be free must make himself free. Freedom is no fairy gift to fall into a man's lap. What is freedom? To have the will to be responsible for one's self.” - Max Stirner.
I look forward to hearing your thoughts.
(April 27, 2012 at 11:45 am)Hyper-Space Rubik Wrote: I ask questions. I don't expect answers…science can verify and falsify but some questions of a metaphysical nature are unanswerable...
Although some metaphysical positions can be shown to be invalid.
(April 27, 2012 at 11:45 am)Hyper-Space Rubik Wrote: …he God concept has intriguing questions as we study the brain and it's temperal lobes, does the brain manufacture god?
No, but we can discuss that on other threads.
(April 27, 2012 at 11:45 am)Hyper-Space Rubik Wrote: I'll stick my neck out on one thing. RELIGION is EVIL. From westboro baptist to Zen Buddhism…
That’s pretty bold, but I guess you can flesh that out on other threads also.

(April 27, 2012 at 12:29 pm)FallentoReason Wrote: I'm looking forward to what you're going to bring to the table.

Welcome =)

I'm guessing meat.Wink Shades

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HI everyone & we hope we are welcomed here funcouple 11 2537 August 30, 2019 at 2:06 am
Last Post: funcouple
  I hope it's not late to post one Sterben 30 4419 December 10, 2014 at 2:00 am
Last Post: Sterben
  Hello fellow thinkers Breakable 67 12431 September 19, 2014 at 12:03 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Hello fellow true thinkers darkwood 22 6784 July 23, 2014 at 8:48 pm
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Hello, New To Forum, Hope I Don't Get Banned Blackrook 39 13460 September 26, 2012 at 2:00 pm
Last Post: Whatkins
Wink Hope its not too late! WhatIfGodWasJustAMyth 9 4183 July 21, 2012 at 4:28 pm
Last Post: C.W. Sims
  Nope, no thinkers here. Disciple 31 7075 May 7, 2012 at 2:58 pm
Last Post: Napoléon