Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 3:14 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Encryption Challenge
Encryption Challenge
One of the features of my media player is its ability to encrypt and password protect media files so that only you can view them.

Below is an encrypted and password protected mp3 that only my media player can open (with the correct password)

The password is encrypted along with the file itself so the challenge is to see if anyone can tell me what the password is and what the track is?

Code:
http://www.oggtheclever.com/scrambled.mp3
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
RE: Encryption Challenge
What method of encryption is being used?
(April 29, 2012 at 5:07 pm)Tiberius Wrote: What method of encryption is being used?

Not sure I should say really. The whole point is that someone trying to access a users protected media files has as hard a time as possible..
(April 29, 2012 at 5:08 pm)Darwinian Wrote:
(April 29, 2012 at 5:07 pm)Tiberius Wrote: What method of encryption is being used?

Not sure I should say really. The whole point is that someone trying to access a users protected media files has as hard a time as possible..
Sure, but the first rule of security is to assume that an attacker knows as much about your system as possible, since they can always figure it out in the end. The point of a secure system is that it is secure even if the attacker knows how it works (since the real security is in the password / key). This is why the most widely used encryption methods are standardised and the source code available for all.

BTW, the song is Blondie - Picture This. Tongue

Edit: If you really can't tell me the encryption method, can you at least let me know if it is standard, or one of your own making?
(April 29, 2012 at 5:11 pm)Tiberius Wrote:
(April 29, 2012 at 5:08 pm)Darwinian Wrote:

Sure, but the first rule of security is to assume that an attacker knows as much about your system as possible, since they can always figure it out in the end. The point of a secure system is that it is secure even if the attacker knows how it works (since the real security is in the password / key). This is why the most widely used encryption methods are standardised and the source code available for all.

BTW, the song is Blondie - Picture This. Tongue

Aha, the good old hex editor Big Grin

But other than the original filename can you listen to it and determine the password.

As for encryption it's simply a password protected zip file.
(April 29, 2012 at 5:14 pm)Darwinian Wrote: But other than the original filename can you listen to it and determine the password.

As for encryption it's simply a password protected zip file.
I will try and crack it.
(April 29, 2012 at 5:11 pm)Tiberius Wrote: Sure, but the first rule of security is to assume that an attacker knows as much about your system as possible, since they can always figure it out in the end. The point of a secure system is that it is secure even if the attacker knows how it works (since the real security is in the password / key).

^^^ This ^^^

Provided that a standard encryption library is used (and why would you roll your own?), it's a trivial matter to analyze the object code and figure out what's going on. Cracking the key is another issue - which is why strong keys are important.

While it's a cool feature, I personally think that if file secrecy is an issue, storing them in an encrypted container (e.g. TrueCrypt volume or similar) is a better strategy.
Note to self... do not piss any of these lovely people off. However, do pester them for help with trivial computery type stuff, at every given opportunity. Can anyone tell me how to delete my system 32 file? I heard it helps speed up my computer and junk. Big Grin
I have a zip cracker running on two machines now. Just give me time Big Grin
Good, because I've actually forgotten the password :S

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Shell Cipher (Challenge) Tiberius 36 10066 June 2, 2012 at 7:35 pm
Last Post: Tiberius