Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 4:08 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
The Shell Cipher (Challenge)
The Shell Cipher (Challenge)
So I created my own cipher based on some historic ciphers with a few modern improvements. The cipher only works on uppercase characters (for simplicity at the moment). It also has a variable length key. Here is a short message that I have encoded using the cipher with a key:

NIY DXG IIRNSWTMGRW VUIN KKV VQPLR ZKLUJ NTYSI RBWQ WJPVL GTN WH YEUGV QLNNVVUY VC WEKYEFRG CNKXUFFVMYX MZAW LBJP PLJS DYKH NI QFEEGF FGYR FP AOKSY GM SFB XWFMKERQQSR XEXRMKUQQHECC DOLHVD ENJ KLHM RCZ JVIRUQPX CRRW RACJVRCN TGCO WEOZ ZTNBXWG Z IEDVVCAIOO PQ ANFEBOVOMQ UIEM HVDDPLR

The question is, can anyone work out the original message (I took it from a web article), and/or the key used? Even more points go to anyone who can reverse-engineer the cipher itself.
RE: The Shell Cipher (Challenge)
I just gave myself a headache trying Sad
You think you have a headache? He sends me love letters that are ciphers. He thinks I am smart enough to figure this one out. He's wrong.
(May 17, 2012 at 11:08 am)Tiberius Wrote: NIY DXG IIRNSWTMGRW VUIN KKV VQPLR ZKLUJ NTYSI RBWQ WJPVL GTN WH YEUGV QLNNVVUY VC WEKYEFRG CNKXUFFVMYX MZAW LBJP PLJS DYKH NI QFEEGF FGYR FP AOKSY GM SFB XWFMKERQQSR XEXRMKUQQHECC DOLHVD ENJ KLHM RCZ JVIRUQPX CRRW RACJVRCN TGCO WEOZ ZTNBXWG Z IEDVVCAIOO PQ ANFEBOVOMQ UIEM HVDDPLR

I deciphered it and ...

Wow, Tiberius, You really think highly of yourself! I mean you're clearly very smart, but I think it unlikely that we're all going to be you minions when your rule the world someday. And crowning yourself the King of America seems a bit over the top as well. Those are some crazy claims you're making but the one that takes the cake is that you were sent here by god to destroy all the stupids! I mean, I'm kinda all for it, but damn man!!!

[Image: smilie20whistling_and_rolling_eyes.gif]

(just bustin your balls brother)
[Image: Evolution.png]

C'mon, this is too easy. I won't spoil it for the rest of you though.

Big Grin
I am thinking that one of the original words in there is "love."

Tongue
(May 17, 2012 at 12:40 pm)Rayaan Wrote: I am thinking that one of the original words in there is "love."

Tongue

There's probably a "the" in there too, in my professional opinion Thinking
There is a "the". No "love" though.
So... basically what we have here is a challenge to decipher what amounts to a one-time pad cipher?

No thanks. Big Grin
(May 17, 2012 at 6:15 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: So... basically what we have here is a challenge to decipher what amounts to a one-time pad cipher?
No, this is in no way a one-time pad cipher.

If you want me to encrypt other things with the same key, or a different key, then just let me know.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Encryption Challenge Darwinian 21 7043 July 4, 2012 at 6:54 pm
Last Post: Tiberius