Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 7:51 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's everywhere...
It's everywhere...
Today I decided to engage in some healthy debate with a work colleague about politics, the [UK] government, benefits, the working man, etc. He's an older chap who doesn't take kindly to the younger generations not taking heed of what he says, so when I disagreed with some of his points he started to get a little irritated, did a lot of arm folding, huffing and puffing and kicking out one word answers. I won;t go into detail...

What astounded me was what happened next. He tried to convince me he was right by sending me poems. These poems were about the working man written by one of his favourite poets, which he used as his 'evidence' that he was right.

I thought it was only in religion this happened!

From there on in, I realised I would be better off debating with a brick wall. Sad
I respect you too much to believe that you could possibly hold those ridiculous beliefs. - Richard Dawkins, 2012
RE: It's everywhere...
Dogma is an amazing thing.
Humans are idiots... Oh wait.. FUuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!! lol
Well sure, poems might give you insight into a certain point of view, but as evidence? WTF?!
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(May 8, 2012 at 3:50 pm)The Heff Wrote: Today I decided to engage in some healthy debate with a work colleague about politics, the [UK] government, benefits, the working man, etc. He's an older chap who doesn't take kindly to the younger generations not taking heed of what he says, so when I disagreed with some of his points he started to get a little irritated, did a lot of arm folding, huffing and puffing and kicking out one word answers. I won;t go into detail...

What astounded me was what happened next. He tried to convince me he was right by sending me poems. These poems were about the working man written by one of his favourite poets, which he used as his 'evidence' that he was right.

I thought it was only in religion this happened!

From there on in, I realised I would be better off debating with a brick wall. Sad

Were they communist poems?
[Image: trkdevletbayraklar.jpg]
Üze Tengri basmasar, asra Yir telinmeser, Türük bodun ilingin törüngin kim artatı udaçı erti?
OP, you should write him a limerick of your own about him and then send it to him.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
There once was a man from nantucket......

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(May 9, 2012 at 8:31 am)Faith No More Wrote: OP, you should write him a limerick of your own about him and then send it to him.

Oooh, Limericks are awesome, I agree! Big Grin
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why isn’t weed legal everywhere? Fake Messiah 6 501 July 24, 2022 at 1:47 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  AF is everywhere! Fruity 17 1839 August 11, 2013 at 6:37 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb