Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 4:51 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do we need others to determine our morals for us?
I'm going to say no. Reason being that I am the one who makes the decision for my actions.
I am responsible for what happens as a result.
RE: Do we need others to determine our morals for us?
Then I would say we mostly agree and add the following:

Society should also endeavor to determine a set of moral guidlines that the vast mmajority can agree are just and right. We basically already have this, it's called the law. It's not morality but, it helps us think about what might be right or wrong and resolve conflicts between two people who may not agree 100%.
http://ca.youtube.com/user/DemonAuraProductions - Check out my videos if you have spare time.
Agnostic
Atheist
I Evolved!
I agree to some extent. In order to get along with others in your surroundings you do conform a little to the moral standards of the society you live in. But it is everyone that sociery that sets the baseline standard together and not just one person, and it is eventually up to you to conform to or break that standard. The consequences are then your responsibility.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
(June 8, 2009 at 5:29 am)moleque Wrote: I'm going to say no. Reason being that I am the one who makes the decision for my actions. I am responsible for what happens as a result.

Morality is a system of ethics, ethics are social and therefore meaningless to individuals EXCEPT as part of a social grouping so my answer is yes ... a given society MUST dictate the morality against which our actions are evaluated.

I think you are confusing morality (social) with conscience (individual).

Kyu
(June 8, 2009 at 5:42 am)Demonaura Wrote: We basically already have this, it's called the law. It's not morality but, it helps us think about what might be right or wrong and resolve conflicts between two people who may not agree 100%.

Actually I would say that in a "rights-based" society such as moist westernised countries the law very much tends to reflect social morality.

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
No I'm with you there Kyuu, it does reflect it I just think it's an important distinction that the law is not the same thing as morality. For example a bylaw that states that roofs may be ho steeper than X desgrees has nothing to do with morality but, is still a part of our system. Or court procedures, not based on morality so much as respect and help us settle disputes.

The core laws, the ones everyone is expected to know is definately based on moral, mutual understanding of each other but, we have expanded it to be so much more. Of course that is not to say it's perfect but, we're giving it our best shot every day.
http://ca.youtube.com/user/DemonAuraProductions - Check out my videos if you have spare time.
Agnostic
Atheist
I Evolved!

I know I sure the fuck do.
"On Earth as it is in Heaven, the Cosmic Roots of the Bible" available on the Amazon.
Morality is a system of ethics, ethics are social and therefore meaningless to individuals EXCEPT as part of a social grouping so my answer is yes ... a given society MUST dictate the morality against which our actions are evaluated.

Agreed.

A moral relativist and egoist,my morality is based on self interest and pragmatism,not a transcendent moral authority.

Although many of my actions are dictated by society (such as not hitting people who annoy me with my walking stick) .I decide my actions based on the outcome and/or level of desire. I may undertake actions society considers immoral,even criminal IF: I consider the reward is proportionate to the risk or that I can avoid unpleasant consequences entirely.OR am prepared to accept the consequences for my actions. Sadly,any seriously criminal impulses are restricted by the unfortunate vestiges of a really inconvenient Catholic conscience.

A life observation is that ethical/moral principles are guiding ideals for most people. Few human beings are capable of being consistently ethical and moral.(according to their own definitions).As a species, We are far more skilled and practised in rationalising immoral acts than actually acting in a consistently moral way,no what our belief system.

@moleque;

This link gives a good outline of what I mean by " egoist" (not to be confused with "egotist" although of course a person may be both)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egoism

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why you all need others, to believe? LastPoet 24 3825 December 26, 2019 at 10:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Objective Morals+ FallentoReason 54 18616 March 13, 2013 at 8:57 pm
Last Post: DeistPaladin
  God's morals? What are they? Tea Earl Grey Hot 3 1219 December 23, 2012 at 3:24 am
Last Post: clemdog14
  Does the world need religion, even if it doesn't need God? Darwinian 21 9803 January 25, 2012 at 9:31 am
Last Post: J.Wylie
  Morals Rockthatpiano06 23 9172 December 3, 2009 at 3:20 am
Last Post: ecolox
  Human for helping others. Edwardo Piet 18 10090 October 29, 2008 at 8:53 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet