Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 6:52 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why you all need others, to believe?
Why you all need others, to believe?
The question is in the title. Why do theists of all flavours feel the need for others to believe, to go to the lenghts of trying to combine their holy books with modern knowledge. Isn't their faith enough?
RE: Why you all need others, to believe?
(December 24, 2019 at 9:08 am)LastPoet Wrote: The question is in the title. Why do theists of all flavours feel the need for others to believe, to go to the lenghts of trying to combine their holy books with modern knowledge. Isn't their faith enough?

Wolves be prowlin' out there beyond the campfire light.
Heaven, in all its portrayals, is nothing more than a multi-level marketing scheme. The magical, mystical ponzi wizard administers bonuses to the top producers.
Simple - safety in numbers.

If two other people believe the same drivel you do - it's not as comforting if a million believe it.

It's still drivel of course...
The trick was to make it socially required. After that the fucking fat priests had the public working for them.
Aren't some instructed to go out and recruit? Or at least they think they have been divinely instructed?

Whatever the reason - if I suddenly decide I need god/religion in my life I bet I can find a church without traveling very far.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(December 24, 2019 at 9:08 am)LastPoet Wrote: The question is in the title. Why do theists of all flavours feel the need for others to believe, to go to the lenghts of trying to combine their holy books with modern knowledge. Isn't their faith enough?

Because part of the outworking of their faith is to 'spread the good news' (as they see it)
'Those who ask a lot of questions may seem stupid, but those who don't ask questions stay stupid'

Why stop at just faith when you can have a war.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
My theory is that proselytizing, as well as being controlling around the behaviors of people outside the religion, is the inevitable result of belief in corporate guilt. If you believe god will judge the innocent along with the guilty, punishing a whole family, tribe, denomination or nation for insufficient piety or even merely being overly tolerant of unbelief, then you will become anxious if society outside your religion is overly non-conformant. It reflects on you for "condoning sin" or not being sufficiently resistant to it and shaming toward it.

Combine this with conspiracy theories about "principalities and powers" working behind the scenes to undermine good conduct and righteous order, and you are keen to keep your numbers up and to do your best to cow the rest of society into fearing to make free choices that color outside YOUR lines. Weirdly, this tends to focus on sexual behavior, but also on certain other things at times, like doing business on Sunday.

Busybodies are concerned about their own perceived self-interest, just like everyone else.

There's this lady in our neighborhood who is a gossip, but it's easy to see that her need to know what everyone else is up to, reflects her anxiety. She feels more in control if she knows, and is seen as the central repository for, everyone's personal business. This is also in play for proselytizing Christians. In other words it can just be unconscious, free-floating anxiety so far as they are aware, that they're relieving. But its root, in my view, is this notion of corporate guilt and punishment.
Because monotheism is an all-or-nothing proposition where the righteous cannot tolerate the heterodoxy of independent thought or belief. Ironically, the power structures that monotheistic religions produce inevitably promote schism and lead to precisely those heretical viewpoints that it cannot abide.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation Why Atheism is Incoherent & You Aren't as Smart as You Think You Are Seax 60 4915 March 19, 2021 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  What do you believe in that hasnt been proven to exist? goombah111 197 24003 March 5, 2021 at 6:47 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Why does there need to be a God? Brian37 41 7010 July 20, 2019 at 6:37 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Ways to Get Into Heaven! Or Whatever You Believe in! Jade-Green Stone 14 2545 January 24, 2019 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: deanabiepepler
  Why do some believers claim that all religions are just as good? Der/die AtheistIn 22 3737 June 25, 2018 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Why you should distrust all religions. Jehanne 57 11105 January 9, 2018 at 8:26 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Look i don't really care if you believe or don't believe Ronia 20 7899 August 25, 2017 at 4:28 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  People assuming you believe in a God Der/die AtheistIn 35 10223 July 19, 2017 at 10:24 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Theist Posters: Why do you believe your God exists? SuperSentient 65 14467 March 15, 2017 at 7:56 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  If God created all the good things around us then it means he created all EVIL too ErGingerbreadMandude 112 20843 March 3, 2017 at 9:53 am
Last Post: Harry Nevis