Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 3:26 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We can dare to dream of the stars again, if only we can achieve this small thing.
We can dare to dream of the stars again, if only we can achieve this small thing.
http://www.penny4nasa.org/?utm_source=su...dium=email

Sign this (US) petition and make science and exploration important again.

If you need a better reason to want to sign this, I suggest watching the video at the bottom of the page.
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
RE: We can dare to dream of the stars again, if only we can achieve this small thing.
Signed and shared.
RE: We can dare to dream of the stars again, if only we can achieve this small thing.
But if we spend more the 'invisible hand of the market' crowd will have less to steal.
Signed.
I can't remember who said it, (maybe Larry Niven) but it was estimated that the cost of an O'Neal colony in Earth orbit (huge hollow asteroid, filled with air and spun for gravity) whould be imposibly expensive for any country to afford..... about the same cost as the Vietnam war Wink

The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

The republicanazis have no limit when it comes to spending for wars.
(May 15, 2012 at 5:11 pm)zebo-the-fat Wrote: I can't remember who said it, (maybe Larry Niven) but it was estimated that the cost of an O'Neal colony in Earth orbit (huge hollow asteroid, filled with air and spun for gravity) whould be imposibly expensive for any country to afford..... about the same cost as the Vietnam war Wink

I can see how this might be tangentially related to the topic, but this isn't want NASA is focusing on and I'm confused as to how it's relevant.

I think NASA faces a similar problem to that it faced with the space shuttle, the lack of a clear and tangible mission, and why achieving that mission is worth the resources. I'm not saying that it isn't, or more properly, that it cannot be; only that it's unclear that their current goals warrant whatever expense. And while it's pleasingly deceptive to argue that it's only one, wafer thin mint, the truth is that a 1/2 a percent of the U.S. budget is a shitload of money. And ask yourself where this money is going to come from? If from current budgets, every penny spent on NASA is a penny less spent on education, medicare, public works, or whatever your favorite boondoggle is. Or are you suggesting that we raise everyone's tax burden a 1/2 percent, knowing that as usual, the result will be effectually regressive, with the poor giving many times more than a 1/2 percent, and the rich considerably less. Are you okay with this if it means that the lowest income tax bracket will see a several percent increase in their taxes? And why do I suspect that the majority of signers of this have given not a wit of thought to these questions before signing it? Likely because they in fact haven't.

NASA is wonderful. Increasing spending in one sector without understanding the likely gains from doing so, and alternately the likely losses, by tax or defunding other programs, is not so wonderful.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
It increase in taxes is about 1 penny a tax dollar.
Signed. I hope they'll do it. NASA has remained underfunded for far too long. Unfortunately I don't think it will happen.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can multiple people hallucinate the same thing at the same time ? LazaB 44 4840 August 24, 2022 at 8:12 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  If Australia a Small Continent or a large Island? Rhondazvous 35 4214 November 9, 2018 at 6:04 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  Science - our only hope carusmm 11 2515 May 31, 2016 at 12:42 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Reaching for the stars, finally - will the young ones among us get pics of Alpha C.? Alex K 33 4367 April 15, 2016 at 9:24 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  The Only Way To Stop A Bad Guy With A Club Minimalist 5 1267 January 21, 2016 at 2:51 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Your dream invention? Amelia 4 1645 January 3, 2014 at 9:05 pm
Last Post: pocaracas
  Is science the only way to knowledge? Vincenzo Vinny G. 115 24804 November 29, 2013 at 8:28 pm
Last Post: JDFlood
  Most intelligent thing to come out of Sarah Palins mouth (until she mentioned God) Napoléon 26 6140 September 4, 2011 at 2:27 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger