Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 3:56 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If Australia a Small Continent or a large Island?
If Australia a Small Continent or a large Island?
I would think the fact that Australia sits on its own tectonic plate classifies it as a continent. Yet, by that definition, India should also be considered a continent, while Europe, with shares the Eurasian tectonic plate with Asia, should not.

It appear then that continental status is based more on politics and culture than empirical science.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: If Australia a Small Continent or a large Island?
You’re perfectly correct. What we think of as a ‘continent’ is largely a matter of tradition.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Island continent.

Smile
Dying to live, living to die.
(November 8, 2018 at 2:33 pm)Rhondazvous Wrote: I would think the fact that Australia sits on its own tectonic plate classifies it as a continent. Yet, by that definition, India should also be considered a continent, while Europe, with shares the Eurasian tectonic plate with Asia, should not.

It appear then that continental status is based more on politics and culture than empirical science.

What is this Australia of which you speak?
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
(November 8, 2018 at 3:13 pm)Wololo Wrote:
(November 8, 2018 at 2:33 pm)Rhondazvous Wrote: I would think the fact that Australia sits on its own tectonic plate classifies it as a continent. Yet, by that definition, India should also be considered a continent, while Europe, with shares the Eurasian tectonic plate with Asia, should not.

What is this Australia of which you speak?

WTF??

It's the land that gave the world Paul Hogan, Cold Chisel, Hugh Jackman and, more importantly, me!

Alas poor Wololo, what a terrible demise he faces...
Dying to live, living to die.

LESS FILLING, TASTES GREAT

FORD VS CHEVY

COWBOYS VS REDSKINS.

Just being silly. I think the reality is outside science itself, it is considered both an island and a continent. It is an oddity sure. I say it is both at the same time. 

I do know having visited it is a fucking pain in the ass using the toilet upside down. That shit gets messy.
Well... it's pretty much also flat.

As well as fekkin' hot.

Uhm... yeah, I got nithin'.

Not at work.
I heard a rumor that Australia is incontinent.

<ducks>  <runs>
But if you want someone to settle the argument and piss off one side, get Neil Degresse Tyson to weigh in on it. The world was pissed at him for pointing out that Pluto was a dwarf planet. Irony is he didn't vote on the official final finding, he simply pointed out the parameters. But damn man, the world gave him a shitload of hate mail over it. 

I don't think you can please either side of the Australia argument in layman's terms, anymore than you can please Pluto fans.
The ‘continent’ is Australasia (encompassing New Zealand and some of the islands in the South Pacific outside of Polynesia) and the ‘country’ is Australia. I didn’t know Australasia had its own Olympic flag according to the wiki page, interesting!

Also, India is actually classed as a sub-continent already in many cultural/geographical classifications:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australasia

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_subcontinent
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Super Continent Haipule 75 10210 January 17, 2018 at 12:21 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  How to move a large rock with 3 bits of rope ! lifesagift 14 2188 November 23, 2014 at 6:53 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Take THAT, Australia... Minimalist 8 1162 May 25, 2014 at 12:46 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  We can dare to dream of the stars again, if only we can achieve this small thing. Annik 49 18054 May 17, 2012 at 5:21 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  The Easter Island "Heads" have bodies Jackalope 5 1599 December 17, 2011 at 1:56 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  Large woody debris and sonic waves orogenicman 4 1914 May 5, 2011 at 4:32 pm
Last Post: orogenicman