Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 4:57 am

Poll: Should there be more Stand-Up Historians?
This poll is closed.
Yes.
71.43%
5 71.43%
No.
0%
0 0%
Blueberry Muffins.
28.57%
2 28.57%
Total 7 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mark Steel
Mark Steel
I just heard of this guy. I heard he wrote an uproarious book on the French Revolution, Vive la Revolution.

He describes himself as a "Stand-up Historian," and no further proof of this can be seen than in his radio broadcasts all of which can be downloaded here. I just found out about him and I've already got all three of his series on my hard drive.

For the record, he did a TV series, and here's the first part of two episodes, one on Aristotle and one on Darwin.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slMpJvt6b0I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d_F-kpVkQo

Two questions:
1) Any fans here? (Admittedly, most of them might be on the other side of the pond)
2) Why aren't there more stand-up historians in America?
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
RE: Mark Steel
Unrelated, but I knew a Mark Steel once. He was a cock.
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
One fan here. I've only seen his work on shows like Mock the Week and Have I Got News For You, though I've caught one or two of his lectures. Had no idea that they were downloadable - guess what I'm about to do?
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(May 26, 2012 at 11:17 pm)Annik Wrote: Unrelated, but I knew a Mark Steel once. He was a cock.

Does that mean he was a boring root or just an arsehole (both?) Tiger
(May 27, 2012 at 1:54 am)padraic Wrote:
(May 26, 2012 at 11:17 pm)Annik Wrote: Unrelated, but I knew a Mark Steel once. He was a cock.

Does that mean he was a boring root or just an arsehole (both?) Tiger

Both. I hated him.
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Has Mark Samsel Done A Good Job As A Kansas State Representative? BrianSoddingBoru4 11 1098 May 3, 2021 at 10:56 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Mark Taylor, the "Firefighter Prophet" rexbeccarox 8 3624 July 3, 2018 at 11:51 am
Last Post: Leadbelly