Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 8:44 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flying Spaghetti Monster? Church of The Smashing Orangey Bit? Did I Miss Something?
Flying Spaghetti Monster? Church of The Smashing Orangey Bit? Did I Miss Something?
I apologise if this sounds like a tiresome rant or odd question or anything, but it's something I've been wondering about for a while now;

Alot of atheists/agnostics/unbelievers and what have you are part of this strange movement of forming or supporting these 'parody' churches. I am not in any way insulting anyone who is involved, and I'm not decrying them ... I just don't understand their point, surely the immitation of something that many of the contributors dislike, serves no purpose?

I was just looking for a little insight, if anyone has the time ...

Cheers

Sam
"We need not suppose more things to exist than are absolutely neccesary." William of Occam

"Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt" William Shakespeare (Measure for Measure: Act 1, Scene 4)

AgnosticAtheist
RE: Flying Spaghetti Monster? Church of The Smashing Orangey Bit? Did I Miss Something?
The church of the flying Spaghetti Monster did serve a specific purpose, as it provided a different perspective on the whole creationism debate in the US. It demonstrated not every explanation though just as impossible to disprove is not equally valid.

Now it is more a joke or meme if you will, but the point it made is no less valid now as it was then.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
RE: Flying Spaghetti Monster? Church of The Smashing Orangey Bit? Did I Miss Something?
As leo said, the point of the church was to insist that if Intelligent Design was to be taught (as they claimed it was not religion) then other creation stories should be taught, as long as they weren't religious either.

The church claimed that the FSM was based on scientific research (a number of scientists have come forward in agreement with this) and so it should be taught in science classrooms.

If anything, it raised the awareness of falsification, the scientific idea that any theory must be able to be disproved in some way in order to gain recognition.

Anyway, I agree that now the Church of the FSM has become obsolete, due to the revealed truth of the Church of the Smashing Orangey Bit. Bow before your God, McVities!
At USC (South Carolina) they have formed a group called the Pastaforians. As a religious group they have the same rights as other religious groups in so far as posting letters, memos, and sponsoring events such as debates.

I love it when Bible thumpers pay god money to send their snot-gobblers off to college, only to have them make fun of their religion in a mock group. Life is short-enjoy.
"On Earth as it is in Heaven, the Cosmic Roots of the Bible" available on the Amazon.
It is very strange, but on 2 other atheist forums where a poll was held on their favourite digestive, the Jaffa Cake won with an overwhelming majority. Coincidence? I think not.

But the truth is that we are all wrong, the only real explanation is Justnowism.

[youtube]SfrJ36obAbk[/youtube]
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Something to watch for (or avoid) The Valkyrie 24 2267 October 4, 2023 at 4:24 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Do you miss the 1990s BillieBobbie 16 1073 January 11, 2023 at 9:11 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Something to think about .... scamper 16 1636 November 13, 2022 at 1:10 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  A hint at something deeper Ahriman 0 212 October 5, 2022 at 8:14 pm
Last Post: Ahriman
  Things You Miss Foxaèr 15 932 September 16, 2022 at 6:40 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Something for nothing onlinebiker 92 4792 September 14, 2021 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  The really real Something For Nothing no one 1 396 September 12, 2021 at 5:50 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Pizza, just bit the bullet, trying something new. Brian37 19 1315 June 14, 2021 at 11:58 am
Last Post: brewer
  Things you miss from your childhood. Brian37 23 1623 May 19, 2021 at 10:54 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Song Thread: Flying brewer 15 1318 January 8, 2020 at 6:01 am
Last Post: zebo-the-fat