Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 11:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religion Sucks
Religion Sucks
I grew up in a heavily fundamentalist family that described themselves as "born again" Christians. I was told to pray and accept Jesus in my life, and that when I do, my life will be changed. Well, I was under 10 years old and psyched myself up, so after praying and asking Jesus to come into my heart, I was in a good mood until the next afternoon. I really was not convinced after that. I tried to pray many times and got exactly the same results I expect from praying to a hamburger.

It was so shocking to me that everyone in my family but me had these enlightening feelings from their relationships with God. I was told that my time would come and Jesus would manifest himself in my life when he is ready. It really seemed like bullshit, but with everyone else swearing it is real, I felt like something was wrong with me and not them. I called myself a Christian and tried to follow religious practices, but all along I was an agnostic and religion never made sense to me.

Then I got older and got high with friends. I realized from recreational drug use that physical substances (coming in contact with my physical body) could slow my thoughts, make them race, affect how positive I perceive life, affect my compassion, and trigger deeply emotional feelings that seemed "spiritual." I then believed that the brain had to be the instrument of consciousness, even if there is a God. Funny enough, I was basically a determinist who did not believe in free will, but yet I was still an agnostic who did not believe in or understand evolution. I thought that the universe was mechanistic and that God, if such a being existed, must not be omnipotent.

Well, then that magnificent British legend named Richard Dawkins had a badass documentary on YouTube. For the first time, I saw someone raise all the objections to religion that I did my whole life. I went from a doubtful agnostic Christian to a 98% confidence atheist, but there was a missing step: the brain's organized complexity needed an explanation.

I watched buttloads of online documentaries on evolution, but the one that really clicked was The Blind Watchmaker. I watched atheists pwn stupid Christians who said the same stuff Christians always told me. Questioning, biology courses, books, etc. had me a confident naturalist in no time.

My anti-theism still exists but I do not really debate with theists. To me, it is a waste of time and way to lose diplomacy in world that is has a majority of religious people. I reached my limit of running my head into a wall.
[Image: questionc.jpg]
RE: Religion Sucks
(June 20, 2012 at 2:48 am)goddamnit Wrote: My anti-theism still exists but I do not really debate with theists. To me, it is a waste of time and way to lose diplomacy in world that is has a majority of religious people. I reached my limit of running my head into a wall.
Well, you're wrong, it is now your JOB, and your job alone to preach, convert, deprogram (whatever you want to call it) to all your freinds, family and basically every single person you meet, or bump into on the street, and I'm not exaggerating. Richard Dawkins helped you, but now it's time for you to help others.

It's selfish, and arrogant to simply say, that you will no longer "associate" with those who aren't de-converted. Talk to your parents, talk to your freinds, they more then likely, have more to say about the subject then you realize. You are the one who is most likely to help them, because you know them, you know their "version" christianity. I could speak to them but it probably wouldn't help. De-programming a mormon and roman catholic are two very different things. If your son beleives it, and if your neighbor believes it, then you are more likely to beleive it too!

Just remember YOU are the one helping them Devil
(June 20, 2012 at 3:23 am)cratehorus Wrote: Well, you're wrong, it is now your JOB, and your job alone to preach, convert, deprogram (whatever you want to call it) to all your freinds, family and basically every single person you meet, or bump into on the street, and I'm not exaggerating.

What, and become as obnoxious as the opposing party? Oddly enough, in my experience the best teachers are the ones not forcing their subject onto their pupils, but rather let's them learn themselves.
And btw, preaching atheism can't be done. What more can one really say on the topic than "There is no god"? Now that doesn't make for good conversation.. Tongue
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(June 20, 2012 at 3:23 am)cratehorus Wrote:
(June 20, 2012 at 2:48 am)goddamnit Wrote: My anti-theism still exists but I do not really debate with theists. To me, it is a waste of time and way to lose diplomacy in world that is has a majority of religious people. I reached my limit of running my head into a wall.
Well, you're wrong, it is now your JOB, and your job alone to preach, convert, deprogram (whatever you want to call it) to all your freinds, family and basically every single person you meet, or bump into on the street, and I'm not exaggerating. Richard Dawkins helped you, but now it's time for you to help others.

Most Christians intentionally cling to religion as a defense mechanism and do not want to admit even the most obvious truths. I was very receptive of Richard Dawkins and eager to discover more content from him; nobody had to twist my arm to get honesty out of me. So, I only have an obligation to make the arguments and evidence available to people like me and I have done that. There are at least 2 atheists who de-converted because of me, including one who has a permanent tattoo of Jesus on his arm.

I remember my family shoving religion down my throat and thinking to myself, "Why can't I just believe what I want to believe, and you believe what you want to believe?" It is very easy to get fed up with bigoted Christians and want to respond with a mission to attack all faith of everyone. I have been there. But some of them genuinely do keep it to themselves and desire it as a crutch to cope. Those are the people I want to leave alone.
[Image: questionc.jpg]
Quote:Just remember YOU are the one helping them

When dealing with addicts of any kind....and religion is just one more addiction....one needs to remember that the addict has to want help. The minds that goddamnit is describing simply want their next fix.
Religions are bullshit nuff said . The religions are man made fairly tales.