Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 7:57 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Price of Political Purity
The Price of Political Purity
That is the name of the article by Robert Parry posted to Consortiumnews.com yesterday. There is an interesting side story of Nixon sabotaging peace talks with South Vietnam in order to win the election against Humphrey. But the main story is of a war protestor's regrets about withholding support for Humphrey when his candidate, Eugene McCarthy lost the primary. A couple quotes:

Quote:Brown’s 1968 dilemma also has recurred periodically for Democrats as some on the Left prefer to cast votes for third parties or simply not vote to protest some shortcoming of the Democratic nominee – even if the Republican alternative is likely to pursue more warlike policies and roll back programs aimed at helping the poor and the middle class.

Quote:On a personal level, Brown said his decision in 1968 still causes him pain and embarrassment. “I’m not proud about what I’m about to tell you,” Brown said, adding that he cast his ballot for a minor third-party candidate as “a throwaway vote.”

Brown said he justified his choice because he was living in Iowa, which was expected to go for Nixon anyway. However, in retrospect, he called his rationalization “a cop-out” and told me, “I wish I had voted for Humphrey even in a place that didn’t count. … In retrospect, everybody should have been for Humphrey.”

There is a larger lesson from his youthful choice, Brown believes, understanding the danger of political purity. Brown, who later in his career ran the government ACTION agency for President Jimmy Carter and headed the U.S. mission to the Organization of Security and Cooperation in Europe for President Bill Clinton, worries that a return of this attitude among young activists could lead to Mitt Romney defeating President Barack Obama in 2012.

Brown said that on every important issue, “this guy [Obama] is 100 times better than the alternative” and that activists should put aside whatever disappointments they feel about Obama – and not repeat the mistake of 1968.

http://consortiumnews.com/2012/06/27/the...al-purity/

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Those Political Memes Foxaèr 819 54452 March 18, 2024 at 7:38 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  The Political Zoo Foxaèr 7 678 December 10, 2023 at 2:26 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  When is political violence justified? FrustratedFool 54 2828 September 8, 2023 at 7:38 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Are you looking forward to Political Christmas in 2024 on 24th/25th December? Woah0 9 831 December 3, 2022 at 7:49 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Does Social Issues matter when deciding your political affiliation? T.J. 48 2975 April 21, 2022 at 9:36 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Are you Anti-Political? Disagreeable 52 2290 April 7, 2022 at 1:12 am
Last Post: Oracle
  political strategy Hillbillyatheist 23 1923 January 12, 2022 at 10:44 am
Last Post: Spongebob
  That Political Scene Foxaèr 4 652 September 27, 2021 at 6:33 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Should I stay or should I go? POLITICAL op/ed Brian37 53 6717 August 26, 2021 at 11:43 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Conservatives, COVID, Agency and Autism, some insights into political worldviews Rev. Rye 5 535 January 10, 2021 at 1:31 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye