Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:58 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unwelcome Visitor
Unwelcome Visitor
It's amazing what record flooding will drive up into your yard.

[Image: Flood_Snake.PNG]

My friends & I were about 15' away from this guy when I realized that buzzing sound wasn't a cicada. That's a 5 1/2' Timber Rattlesnake.

A few pics of my backyard. The river is usually 100 yards northeast of where it is in these photos.

[Image: IMG_2280.JPG]

[Image: IMG_0492.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0501.jpg]
Mr. Rattlesnake was between those two trees when he lost his head.
"How is it that a lame man does not annoy us while a lame mind does? Because a lame man recognizes that we are walking straight, while a lame mind says that it is we who are limping." - Pascal
RE: Unwelcome Visitor
Why did you have to kill it? Catch it, relocate it, or call the fire department to have them do so.
Trying to update my sig ...
How did it lose its head?
(June 30, 2012 at 10:30 am)Epimethean Wrote: Why did you have to kill it? Catch it, relocate it, or call the fire department to have them do so.

I live in a swamp, dude. Also, I don't catch poisonous snakes. There is no fire department where I live, & if you call the volunteer fire department for a snake they are just going to laugh at you & tell you to shoot it. Also, the nearest cities animal control doesn't cover my rural ass.

If I could have ran it off I would have, but due to the record flooding we've had, there was literally nowhere to run it to that would have fixed the situation. I didn't want it biting my dogs (I've already lost one to a snakebite before) or my nephews who play in that yard.

Anyhow, my friend's friend ate it & is going to epoxy the hide & mount it.

(June 30, 2012 at 10:34 am)Tiberius Wrote: How did it lose its head?

My friend popped its head off with a shovel. I was going to shoot it but they wanted the skin intact & undamaged as much as possible.
"How is it that a lame man does not annoy us while a lame mind does? Because a lame man recognizes that we are walking straight, while a lame mind says that it is we who are limping." - Pascal
Damn! That snake was shorter than me by a half inch!!

I could never live outside a metropolitan area. Even in the most populated places around here, occasionally you can smell a copperhead around. It gives me the willies.

beautiful grounds there dude. i've come to despise city living.
they can land a rover on mars, yet they still have to stick a human finger up my ass to do a prostate exam?! - ricky gervais
(June 30, 2012 at 11:09 am)jackman Wrote: beautiful grounds there dude. i've come to despise city living.

Thanks Big Grin
Yeah I'd much rather live in the country and be left to my own devices, than in some scum infested shithole like I'm living in now.
I live in what is still the country, although the city is growing toward here. still, I prefer them. In europe, if you get a rat problem, get cats. If you get a snake problem, get hedgehogs Big Grin
(June 30, 2012 at 1:30 pm)LastPoet Wrote: I live in what is still the country, although the city is growing toward here. still, I prefer them. In europe, if you get a rat problem, get cats. If you get a snake problem, get hedgehogs Big Grin

I would like to see a hedgehog take on a five foot rattlesnake.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.