Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 2:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
American Schools more like prison?
American Schools more like prison?
I for one believe the prison system we have does not rehabilitate you, but instead places you in purgatory(not my words but the best for the subject). Almost like they are preparing your kids for prison, but what the hell do I know. (im crazy haha)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufmr6g8qHvc

Quote:Immortal Technique

It's funny how 'on the block' niggaz will kill you for cash
But never raise their gun and cry out "Freedom at last."
The cold war is over, but the world is still gettin colder
Atlas walking through the projects with the hood on my shoulders
I would like to raise my children to grow to be soldiers
But then a general, would decide when their life would be over.
Live every day as if already dead, that way you're not disappointed when you are. Big Grin
RE: American Schools more like prison?
People want to protect their children, from eveything. But they want it done cheaply. That means block buildings tall fences and as much police presence as you can afford. Add in the authoritarian nature of the educator/student relationship and our uniquely American habit of threatening to sue absolutely anyone for anything....and you have a situation practically bound to make any conspiracy theorists head swim with possibility.

:looks around suspiciously:

Good thing we don't have any of those folks round these parts.

Ahem-

A fair few educators, parents, and students are very disappointed with what they perceive to be the many faults of our system of education. However, we didn't just wake up one day with the schools we have as is. Schools ask for money, people say no. It's as easy as that. Until we start saying yes we don't really have any room to complain, we're getting exactly what we pay for. There's no conspiracy here, no plot to "prepare kids for prison". Tell you what, you go find me an educator who, 4-7 years prior, decided to take a major that would most likely leave them impoverished with no better prospects for a job at the 7-Eleven than the snot nosed kid down the street because they said to themselves "You know what I want to do with my life...prepare children for prison."

No, no plot, no motives, just negligence on our parts.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Some of the decisions by school boards make me think that they are little more than mindless bureaucrats with a terrible fear of being sued. The day they started suspending children for drawing pictures of a gun or bringing an aspirin to school because of a "zero tolerance policy" is the day that I lost all respect for them.

Try thinking assholes. That's what you get paid to do.
(July 11, 2012 at 10:18 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Some of the decisions by school boards make me think that they are little more than mindless bureaucrats with a terrible fear of being sued. The day they started suspending children for drawing pictures of a gun or bringing an aspirin to school because of a "zero tolerance policy" is the day that I lost all respect for them.

Try thinking assholes. That's what you get paid to do.

As one more brick in the wall, I used to think so too. But with all the top down pressure around No Child Left Un-fucked with, I have begun to accept that it is my compliance that I am paid for. Doing something because it is best for kids or just plain the right thing to do, has to be done clandestinely. Officially it has become all about covering your ass, and teaching used to be such a wonderfully creative and involving occupation. I can't begin to tell you how happy I will be to retire in the near future.
There is a reason that 50% of new teachers leave the profession within the first 5 years and it isn't just the shitty pay.

But what excuse do the administrators have? Those assholes are generally well-paid.
(July 13, 2012 at 10:04 pm)Minimalist Wrote: There is a reason that 50% of new teachers leave the profession within the first 5 years and it isn't just the shitty pay.

But what excuse do the administrators have? Those assholes are generally well-paid.

Administrators are now under so much pressure that they feel compelled to make too many point of delivery decisions, which of course they can't possibly do as well as the teacher in the classroom. I don't envy them their job, but then again, I never did. Teaching can really be a creative occupation, or at least it has been.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why do we hate the American military institution? WinterHold 16 873 November 23, 2021 at 1:40 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  GOP's stranglehold on Cuban-American's vote. Brian37 19 1476 August 22, 2021 at 2:51 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Donald Trump is the best American president that USA has ever had Edge92 21 1741 June 4, 2021 at 6:57 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  American imagery from movies from 90s and 80s Sweden83 8 1588 December 5, 2020 at 10:43 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Police in USA arent racist, its just American culture is all Ramus932 10 842 June 14, 2020 at 1:49 am
Last Post: Zepp
  "The American Dream" is just a myth we tell ourselves Foxaèr 45 4188 April 20, 2019 at 5:58 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  I like that American left are miserable Snora 82 6970 March 24, 2019 at 7:47 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  Venezuela and Saudi Arabia in the eyes of the American one-eyed foreign policy WinterHold 9 1370 February 4, 2019 at 10:04 am
Last Post: Yonadav
  Why are you American people, careless? A-g-n-o-s-t-i-c 27 2185 September 11, 2018 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  What would you change about the American public school system? Bahana 53 6088 April 17, 2018 at 4:02 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0