Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 8:12 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starting an atheist group on my campus
Starting an atheist group on my campus
So a few months ago, a trio of preachers came a-thumping to my college (one was Shawn the Baptist, perhaps you've heard of this nut?). They got up on their soap boxes and started preaching away, mocking and ridiculing every woman, non-white, homosexual (and we have a lot of them), and just about any other minority, probably for about six hours. I knew they were full of it, but I couldn't believe how many people were genuinely shaken by it. A lot of non-religious (mostly agnostic people) were absolutely terrified, and perhaps most surprisingly a lot of religious kids too. They all were so horrified that they believed the same thing as the people shouting at their friends. These guys were so awful they left a lot of people in tears, and a lot of people absolutely seething (but you know, freedom of speech and all that.)

So now with this in mind, I've been thinking about starting something on my campus. We've got resources for Christians, Jews, Muslims, and even far-Eastern faiths on campus. We've even got a designated office space for them called the inter-faith center. We haven't got a single thing for atheists, or even more importantly those who are doubting their faith but don't have anyone they can turn to other than people who will tell them "believe or burn!"

I'm not looking to incite riots or burn churches or anything. I just want to put out the message that there's another solution, that people care and are willing to help, and do so in the name of humanity. Not a man in the sky. As an ex-Christian myself, I feel like if I can help just one person free themselves from religious oppression then I've done some good for the world.

Is there anyone who could give me advice on how to start up something like this? I'm sure I'm not the first one who's tried to start something like this.
You really believe in a man who has helped to save the world twice, with the power to change his physical appearance? An alien who travels though time and space--in a police box?!? [Image: TARDIS.gif]
RE: Starting an atheist group on my campus
I think Tibby did something similar or was at least involved in something similar.
Secular Student Alliance. Start there. They will give you all the resources you need.
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
Will do. Thanks!
You really believe in a man who has helped to save the world twice, with the power to change his physical appearance? An alien who travels though time and space--in a police box?!? [Image: TARDIS.gif]
(July 14, 2012 at 11:50 pm)Annik Wrote: Secular Student Alliance. Start there. They will give you all the resources you need.

I wasn't aware the SSA involved itself beyond high school. Regardless, JT Eberhard is a part of SSA and is a genuinely awesome guy. (See his blog, ) I'm sure he could get you pointed in the right direction.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Good for you. Good luck.
(July 15, 2012 at 6:51 am)apophenia Wrote:
(July 14, 2012 at 11:50 pm)Annik Wrote: Secular Student Alliance. Start there. They will give you all the resources you need.

I wasn't aware the SSA involved itself beyond high school. Regardless, JT Eberhard is a part of SSA and is a genuinely awesome guy. (See his blog, ) I'm sure he could get you pointed in the right direction.

They do high schools and college. I tried to get a chapter started at my school, but I thought asking for 30 signatures at the very Christian school was going to be much. They were uber-helpful and send you flyers, stickers, and other promotional materials.
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
Just an update. Some students and are planning to start a Secular Student Alliance at my school this September. Well this is exciting.
Well, you ought to ask people who form student associations. I can assure you, that everything that is hard about founding a student association, group or something similar, is actually nothing more than going through the bureaucratic procedures associated with it. Of course, you need a minimum amount of people, too.
[Image: trkdevletbayraklar.jpg]
Üze Tengri basmasar, asra Yir telinmeser, Türük bodun ilingin törüngin kim artatı udaçı erti?
Did you end up getting the SSA up and running? If you did, an update would be great for others who are interested in starting a SSA.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheist group states, "No free presents" Foxaèr 2 1284 November 19, 2013 at 2:35 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  I would like to see an atheist group in Utah county, Utah. jesus christ 4 1810 April 10, 2013 at 6:11 am
Last Post: Violet
Thumbs Up Atheist group at Bragg seeks Army recognition reverendjeremiah 4 2527 April 7, 2011 at 6:02 pm
Last Post: Jaysyn
  IHOP Sues a Prayer Group. Eilonnwy 4 1940 September 18, 2010 at 1:00 am
Last Post: Watson
  Obama meets with atheist group jesusfetusfajitafishsticks 9 3846 March 26, 2010 at 5:21 pm
Last Post: Meatball