Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 10:03 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is indeterminism in science still alive or dead?
Is indeterminism in science still alive or dead?
Reading The God Delusion I have failed to understand what is the position of RD with referrence to indeterminism .
In some chapters of the book he speaks about "chance"or "luck" in the evolution of life or in origin of life with the meanning of randomness ,denying them alltogether and putting in evidence that those notions are sutained only by creationists or ID believers.

I searched the Wikipedia about 'Ideterminism"but wasn't satisfied about the delivered information.
I would like to ask the forum the following :
Is the :Uncertainity Pinciple still valid in science ,in quantum mechanics?
Is the same still valid in astronomy ( black holes) as proved by Stephen Hawking?
What happened to the Genetic Drift in Byology ?
The answers are important to atheism and would do a lot of good to be clarified.
RE: Is indeterminism in science still alive or dead?
How are the answers important to atheism exactly? Surely the only thing important to atheism is that God stays non-existent.
(September 17, 2008 at 7:12 pm)Tiberius Wrote: How are the answers important to atheism exactly? Surely the only thing important to atheism is that God stays non-existent.

I have expressed in my thread about Atheism versus Destiny my opinion that practical atheism has to tackle the problem of religious belief in Destiny by accepting the existence of indeterminism as an inherent law of nature.

It is true that RD in his TGD does not accept "chance" as playing any role in Darwinistic theory of natural selection .
But he does not deny either in a concret way, scientific theories of indeterminism like the uncertainity principle in quantum mechanics discovered by Bohr and Heisenberg,like the same principle applicated by Stephen Hawking to the research of black holes,like the genetic drift which enhanced the Darwinistic view on natural selection.

Where have all these principles elapsed?
Are they obsolete ,where they replaced by other principles?

We are here in the chapter of science so a proper and well founded answer ia not out of place
O.o

*Wonders if he's more or less confused than the author*
Atheism as a Religion
-------------------
A man also or woman that hath a Macintosh, shall surely be put to death: they shall stone them with used and abandoned Windows 3.1 floppy disks: their blood shall be upon them. Leviticus 20:27
(September 17, 2008 at 3:27 pm)josef rosenkranz Wrote: I searched the Wikipedia about 'Ideterminism"but wasn't satisfied about the delivered information.

Maybe you spelled it wrong? Try this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indeterminism

As far as I know, the uncertainty principle is still valid. I do have a degree in physics but that doesn't really mean much. It's not my job or anything. And I think we are diverging more into the realm of philosophy or something.
I'm gonna confuse everyone:

Indeterminism is deterministic.

Take that physics!
(September 19, 2008 at 6:43 am)Tiberius Wrote: I'm gonna confuse everyone:

Indeterminism is deterministic.

Take that physics!

Thanks
It is like sin x=2 a transcedental equation with no solution (as far as I was thaught in High school)
Hehe. But seriously, I have no idea what to think about determinism / indeterminism. Kind of like the LHC, I'm interested but the physics goes over my head Tongue

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How humans are still evolving I_am_not_mafia 26 2941 June 9, 2018 at 10:34 am
Last Post: Fireball
  I still think getting a flu shot is directly linked to getting the flu Foxaèr 64 6302 April 4, 2018 at 9:01 pm
Last Post: Magilla
  Still Learning AT7iLA 28 6324 March 14, 2014 at 2:27 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Fukushima still a Threat to Humanity? Gooders1002 9 5686 November 5, 2013 at 3:46 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  The Science of Why We Don’t Believe Science FifthElement 23 7640 June 25, 2013 at 10:54 am
Last Post: Rahul
  Science Laughs: Science Comedian Brian Malow orogenicman 4 4242 December 10, 2010 at 12:06 pm
Last Post: Lethe