Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 4:25 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What seems to me to be intuitions about God.
What seems to me to be intuitions about God.
1. Independent Existence

One thing I intuit, is that independent existence cannot be some insignificant small plain existence with a small force. For example a quark or whatever is the smallest consisting unit of matter, I don't think it's possible for it to self-existing and self-preserving. It seems to me rather it's impossible. Rather it seems to me it must be rich in existence and power to be independent. This tells me, minor existence must be constantly maintained and created. It can never gain self-dependence.

2. Necessary Existence

It also seems to me, if God was a possibility, he would be definitely a necessary existence. What I mean by that, he wouldn't be simply existing as a possible existence, but a necessary one. And further it seems to me, all other then God, cannot be necessary existences. And further seems to me, there must be a necessary existence. It seems what must not exist, should not, unless created by a necessary existence, while for anything to exist, there must be a necessary existence. The Necessary existence is such that it must be the way it is by necessity of nature of existence. This seems only plausible when the nature is ultimate existence.

3. Cannot be Greater.

As it cannot be greater, it is ultimately the necessary being. If it could be greater, it would not be necessary being, by the fact, it can be more or less great, and one can question why not this much greater or that much less greater.

It seems also that existence of greatness to the extent it cannot be greater is an intuition on it's own.

4. It is eternal

This existence cannot be something that is created by something else nor can it come from nothing. From nothing, nothing follows. If I were to see something magically appear in the universe, I would not conclude that from nothing, nothing follows is false. I would assume it has a cause even though it's unknown. The same can be said if it looked like matter was naturally streaming from nothing.

5. Traits of Greatness

Whatever would make it greater, it must have. Whatever it would make it less great, it cannot have. Therefore we can know it is forgiving, merciful, compassionate, fair, loving, powerful, and each of these to the ultimate degree. We intuit these traits of greatness.

6. Indivisibility.

It seems whatever it is, it being the original existence is simple as opposed to divided. Therefore all it's attributes are really describing one essence.
RE: What seems to me to be intuitions about God.
Its a good thing that you stated outright that these are intuitions. That way, logic and reasoning has no place in this discussion. By calling your statements "intuitive", you have indemnified them against any requirement of proof or evidence, which, in philosophy, you are usually required to give. This way, you can make any illogical and irrational statements protect them from any rational debate by claiming that they weren't based on logic in the first place. Let's look at these statements anyway.

(July 22, 2012 at 2:44 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: 1. Independent Existence

One thing I intuit, is that independent existence cannot be some insignificant small plain existence with a small force. For example a quark or whatever is the smallest consisting unit of matter, I don't think it's possible for it to self-existing and self-preserving. It seems to me rather it's impossible. Rather it seems to me it must be rich in existence and power to be independent. This tells me, minor existence must be constantly maintained and created. It can never gain self-dependence.

Independent from what exactly? Reality? And about the "smallest unit of matter" - you don't "think" it is possible for it to exist by itself? Do you have any reason to "think" that? Oh, right, its intuition - a directly perceived truth. So which faculty of perception did you use to perceive that truth?

(July 22, 2012 at 2:44 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: 2. Necessary Existence

It also seems to me, if God was a possibility, he would be definitely a necessary existence. What I mean by that, he wouldn't be simply existing as a possible existence, but a necessary one. And further it seems to me, all other then God, cannot be necessary existences. And further seems to me, there must be a necessary existence. It seems what must not exist, should not, unless created by a necessary existence, while for anything to exist, there must be a necessary existence. The Necessary existence is such that it must be the way it is by necessity of nature of existence. This seems only plausible when the nature is ultimate existence.

Necessity implies a purpose or a goal. It is the nature of the consequence that determined whether the cause was "necessary". Since the reality around us is the consequence, and we have hypotheses around that do not propose a god, then by your logic, god is not only not necessary, he is not possible. Let's put it in logical form:

1. If God was a possibility, he would be definitely a necessary existence. (Intuitively perceived truth).

2. Multiple scenarios have been proposed regarding the universe where there is no need for god.

3. Therefore, god is not a necessity.

4. Therefore, god is not possible.

Congrats. Your intuition has just proved atheism.

(July 22, 2012 at 2:44 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: 3. Cannot be Greater.

As it cannot be greater, it is ultimately the necessary being. If it could be greater, it would not be necessary being, by the fact, it can be more or less great, and one can question why not this much greater or that much less greater.

It seems also that existence of greatness to the extent it cannot be greater is an intuition on it's own.

Greater what? That word is an adjective which is usually followed by a noun. So, there can be no greater asshole than your god? No greater sadist? No greater planet? What?

(July 22, 2012 at 2:44 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: 4. It is eternal

This existence cannot be something that is created by something else nor can it come from nothing. From nothing, nothing follows. If I were to see something magically appear in the universe, I would not conclude that from nothing, nothing follows is false. I would assume it has a cause even though it's unknown. The same can be said if it looked like matter was naturally streaming from nothing.

This is an old one, with so many logical objections to it. But then, logic is not playing a role here, is it?

(July 22, 2012 at 2:44 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: 5. Traits of Greatness

Whatever would make it greater, it must have. Whatever it would make it less great, it cannot have. Therefore we can know it is forgiving, merciful, compassionate, fair, loving, powerful, and each of these to the ultimate degree. We intuit these traits of greatness.

And by the same intuition, we also know that it must be unjust, cruel, sadistic, pathetic, weak and unforgiving to an ultimate degree as well - because no greater dickhead can exist either.

(July 22, 2012 at 2:44 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: 6. Indivisibility.

It seems whatever it is, it being the original existence is simple as opposed to divided. Therefore all it's attributes are really describing one essence.

So, basically, all these conflicting, contradictory attributes describe a singular essence and all of them fit? Well, there is only one thing that fits the bill - non-existence. When you assign attributes to the existent, you need to be careful they capture its essential nature and are not contradictory, but you can assign whatever attributes you like to the non-existent because the very essence of non-existence negates all of them. Congratulations. Once again, your intuitions have proven atheism.

Mystic Knight. Master of the bare assertion.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(July 22, 2012 at 2:44 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: 1. Independent Existence

2. Necessary Existence

3. Cannot be Greater.

4. It is eternal

5. Traits of Greatness

6. Indivisibility.

A long winded way of saying "OK, now I'm going to make some shit up"

Meaningless waffle.
You are currently experiencing a lucky and very brief window of awareness, sandwiched in between two periods of timeless and utter nothingness. So why not make the most of it, and stop wasting your life away trying to convince other people that there is something else? The reality is obvious.

What do you hope to gain by telling us these things? We've already told you the means by which you derive these things is utterly worthless in our eyes, and therefore what you say based on those is a sheer waste of everyone's time.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sexual desire seems to be a curse for men Macoleco 121 7065 January 24, 2023 at 7:38 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Can we trust our Moral Intuitions? vulcanlogician 72 3615 November 7, 2021 at 1:25 pm
Last Post: Alan V