Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 7:03 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Human DNA Strain Detected
New Human DNA Strain Detected
restricted to Africa....whereas Neandertal was restricted to Europe.

http://www.startribune.com/world/163962986.html?refer=y

Quote:The human family tree just got another mysterious branch, an African "sister species" to the heavy-browed Neanderthals that once roamed Europe.

While no fossilized bones have been found from these enigmatic people, they did leave a calling card in present-day Africans: snippets of foreign DNA.

There's only way one that genetic material could have made it into modern human populations. "Geneticists like euphemisms, but we're talking about sex," said Joshua Akey of the University of Washington in Seattle, whose lab identified the foreign DNA in three groups of modern Africans.
RE: New Human DNA Strain Detected
This is incredibly interesting. I hope more evidence comes to light soon, so that we might see a more complete picture.

Thanks for ferreting this out. :3
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
The wording of the article does not inspire confidence that the arthor knows what he is talking about.
Too often the case. I'm sure there is more out there about it, though.
As stated it is published in Cell Journal.... the Spring edition of which includes such monumental topics as...

Quote:Evaluation of Preincubation Time Interval in Testicular
Biopsy to Obtain Optimum Sperm Parameters

The Summer issue is not even online yet.

They probably had the Publicity Department issue a press release that the Washington Post picked up and which was re-issued by the Star Tribune. It will take years for the scientific community to investigate.
You learn something everyday.

And seriously dolphins and whales can both have offspring!?
(July 27, 2012 at 3:09 pm)Welsh cake Wrote: You learn something everyday.

I wasn't aware of this, either. But I bet the offspring would be sterile.
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]

Since dolphins are generally much smaller than whales, I would say copulation between a dolphin and a whale to be as logistically impossible as cross breeding between tigers and house cats.

I think the underlying grain of truth might be similar species of dolphins might mate amongst themselves, or similar species of whales might mate, but not between dalphins and whales.
(July 27, 2012 at 3:44 pm)Chuck Wrote:

Since dolphins are generally much smaller than whales, I would say copulation between a dolphin and a whale to be as logistically impossible as cross breeding between tigers and house cats.

I think the underlying grain of truth might be similar species of dolphins might mate amongst themselves, or similar species of whales might mate, but not between dalphins and whales.

Technically several species most of us consider whales are dolphins.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oceanic_dolphin
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
I realise there are a handful of fairly large dolphin species that are colloquially called whales, but these are still so morphologically distinct from comparably sized true whales that cross breeding would be extremely unlikely.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DNA Proves Existence of a Designer CDF47 13834 978737 April 21, 2020 at 11:16 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Spontaneous assembly of DNA from precursor molecules prior to life. Anomalocaris 4 979 April 4, 2019 at 6:12 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Music and DNA tahaadi 4 1323 September 29, 2018 at 4:35 am
Last Post: GUBU
  "DNA Labelling!" aka American Idiots Davka 28 7406 February 4, 2015 at 1:45 am
Last Post: Aractus
  Yeti DNA sequenced Doubting Thomas 2 1452 October 17, 2013 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Junk DNA and creationism little_monkey 0 1987 December 3, 2011 at 9:23 am
Last Post: little_monkey