Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 4:46 pm

Poll: Jesus was:
This poll is closed.
good
25.00%
4 25.00%
evil
12.50%
2 12.50%
never existed
62.50%
10 62.50%
Total 16 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jesus - good or evil?
Jesus - good or evil?
In the novel Master and Margarita Mikhail Bulgakov addressed the issue in an interesting way by suggesting that Jesus was basically a philosopher with somewhat anarchist views, sentenced to death since he was perceived as a threat to the rule of the emperor.

On the other hand, I watched some guy on youtube quoting a book which implied that Jesus was in fact insane and his cult focused on self-torture based upon hate towards one's body as well as shocking negligence of personal hygiene resulting directly from that philosophy. His followers supposedly caused epidemic outbreaks and they were repressed and rightly so.

One has to note that some time after Christianity became the state religion of Roman Empire the entire empire collapsed. This does not surprise me as the religion itself assumes some kind of letargy of the mind combined with self-destruction and submission to "others" whomever they might be - in this case the barbarians Smile

Regardless, I am curious about your views on that.
RE: Jesus - good or evil?
Can't vote

There may or may not have been an historical Jesus. So far, I have not seen any evidence that that Jesus of the New Testament is anything other than myth. However, I do not have the proof to make any truth claims.

At a remove of 2000 years, I would argue that there is insufficient credible evidence to make ANY judgements about Jesus. The New Testament has little if any credibility with actual scholars as a reliable prime source.
I have no idea if Jesus existed or not. When it comes to historical figures, all we have are written accounts. Some accounts are more complete than others; with more likelihood of being true. In the case of Jesus we have the gospels and some rather dubious hearsay. As much as that causes me to suspect that Jesus may not have existed, I cannot prove that he didn't.

From what I do know of the Jesus character, I think I would have liked him if we ever met. By all accounts he was at least a rebel in a time where rebellion meant certain torture, followed by a slow and excruciating death. Maybe I don't know enough about him but, to me, Jesus always stood out as the only redeeming character in all of Christianity.
No, no, no. We have a great deal more than written accounts for many historical figures. That this particular figure has only written accounts, so very few written accounts, and that these accounts are from such transparently biased sources is precisely the problem. The character of christ as told in the NT is a mash-up, sometimes he's the friendly niceguy, other times he's force choking fig trees. He has as many personalities as there were storytellers that went into his creation.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I think the ideal proto-hippie Jesus would have been awesome (if not for his being inspired by murderous old myths), but I believe that persona of Jesus is as real as his fairy tale dad.
(August 15, 2012 at 8:43 am)Rhythm Wrote: No, no, no. We have a great deal more than written accounts for many historical figures. That this particular figure has only written accounts, so very few written accounts, and that these accounts are from such transparently biased sources is precisely the problem. The character of christ as told in the NT is a mash-up, sometimes he's the friendly niceguy, other times he's force choking fig trees. He has as many personalities as there were storytellers that went into his creation.

I have nothing other to say than the bold text made me laugh for about 5 minutes solid. Seriously, I couldn't even drink my beer - and I'm Irish.
(August 15, 2012 at 4:53 am)padraic Wrote: Can't vote

There may or may not have been an historical Jesus. So far, I have not seen any evidence that that Jesus of the New Testament is anything other than myth. However, I do not have the proof to make any truth claims.

At a remove of 2000 years, I would argue that there is insufficient credible evidence to make ANY judgements about Jesus. The New Testament has little if any credibility with actual scholars as a reliable prime source.

I'll have what he's having.

(With a few exceptions. Textual analysis and errors argues strongly that the Gospels aren't historical narrative. Similar analysis of the Epistles indicates that many common claims of Paul's knowledge of Jesus are without textual foundation.)

Oh, and only the western half of the Roman Empire collapsed, and largely due to issues not related to the religious changes. (In general, the detrimental effects of Christianity on Europe during the middle ages are considered by most mainstream historians to be exaggerated and somewhat mythical.) The eastern half of the Empire continued along for another 1,000 years, likely thanks in no small part in not having to deal with successive waves of barbarian invaders. (Not to mention that Constantinople was much more secure against invasion than Rome. There's some interesting history involving the Danes, the Rus, and Constantinople related to this, but the pieces aren't coming to mind atm.)

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
I think the evidence points to the probable existence of one primary person at the origin of the various Jesus stories. Some of the stories about him was probably based on real events. But those stories sketch out an individual that does not rise to good or evil, but are instead deluded, unhinged, an maglomanically masochistic in a pitiful way.

(August 15, 2012 at 3:37 am)Ciel_Rouge Wrote: One has to note that some time after Christianity became the state religion of Roman Empire the entire empire collapsed. This does not surprise me as the religion itself assumes some kind of letargy of the mind combined with self-destruction and submission to "others" whomever they might be - in this case the barbarians Smile

Regardless, I am curious about your views on that.

As said above, that "some time" involved ~1070 years.

BTW, christianity did not become a legal religion in the Roman empire until the empire had suffered several plagues while practically torn itself apart with almost 80 years of virtually unbroken civil war. Christianity didn't become the official until after the defeat at Adrianople that arguably broke the back of the Roman system of active defense against Barbarian inroad.

While one might argue christianity is symptomatic of the flaws in the imperial system and its societies, it's harder to argue it is the cause of those flaws.

Basically, the empire in the west collapsed due to an uncertain system of imperial succession, an inability to rationalize the layout of the frontier, a failure to maintain reliable central control over elements of the army, and a mismatch between political center and the center of real wealth. The real wealth of the empire was in the east, eventhough its capital was in the west.
(August 15, 2012 at 8:43 am)Rhythm Wrote: No, no, no. We have a great deal more than written accounts for many historical figures. That this particular figure has only written accounts, so very few written accounts, and that these accounts are from such transparently biased sources is precisely the problem. The character of christ as told in the NT is a mash-up, sometimes he's the friendly niceguy, other times he's force choking fig trees. He has as many personalities as there were storytellers that went into his creation.

Historical records for the existence of other figures in history.

Gauis Julius Caesar 100-44 B.C
(Manuscript evidence 900 A.D. 1000 years later)

Homer 900 B.C.
(Manuscript evidence 400 B.C. 500 years later)

Plato 427-347 B.C.
(Manuscript evidence 900 A.D. 1200 years later)

Jesus of Nazareth 4 B.C. - 33 A.D.
(Manuscript evidence 50-100 A.D. < 100 years later)

What an embarrassing poll result showing so many Jesus mythers.
(August 15, 2012 at 9:55 pm)Lion IRC Wrote:

Historical records for the existence of other figures in history.

Gauis Julius Caesar 100-44 B.C
(Manuscript evidence 900 A.D. 1000 years later)

Homer 900 B.C.
(Manuscript evidence 400 B.C. 500 years later)

Plato 427-347 B.C.
(Manuscript evidence 900 A.D. 1200 years later)

Jesus of Nazareth 4 B.C. - 33 A.D.
(Manuscript evidence 50-100 A.D. < 100 years later)

What an embarrassing poll result showing so many Jesus mythers.

Yip, 'cause I remember all those people claiming to be the son of God too... oh wait, they made no such extraordinary claim... it's a wonder we even care whether they existed or not.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UCKG: Church tells boy 'evil spirit' hides in him zebo-the-fat 1 357 December 11, 2023 at 4:51 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
Brick If everything has a purpose then evil doesn't exist zwanzig 738 38442 June 28, 2023 at 10:48 am
Last Post: emjay
  Free will and the necessary evil Mystical 133 16535 December 16, 2022 at 9:17 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Free will and the necessary evil Mystical 14 1540 November 11, 2022 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: Ahriman
  Armageddon. Does it make Jesus rather evil? Greatest I am 21 2159 February 9, 2021 at 1:35 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Christians pray evil away on the winter solstice. brewer 9 1000 December 29, 2020 at 1:27 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Sinning, as Jesus and the church say, is good. Turn or burn Christians. Greatest I am 71 5412 October 20, 2020 at 9:11 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Hitler was genocidal and evil. Yahweh’s genocides are good; say Christians, Muslims & Greatest I am 25 2330 September 14, 2020 at 3:50 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Theist ➤ Why ☠ Atheism is Evil Compared to ✠ Christianity The Joker 177 26939 December 3, 2016 at 11:24 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  The Problem of Evil (XXVII) SteveII 248 26616 June 16, 2016 at 4:01 pm
Last Post: SteveII