Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 9:47 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello!
Hello!
Hello, everyone.

I am Jon Paul. I am a young, practicing Latin-Rite Catholic from Europe. I am here to discuss and in all honesty try and hold my own in defending Christianity (Catholicism). I'll jump into the Religion subforum soon enough.

I enjoy reading, sports, music etc., and I love a fine whiskey as much as the next guy. I smoke and I am overweight due to a lack of activity in life (I watch those sports, by the way). Hey, I am being honest. I don't generally enjoy video games, but right now I am right into Medieval II Total War so I shall post erratically here, due to my recent obsession. Any questions then fire away.

Regards,
JP.
The people who are the most bigoted are the people who have no convictions at all.
-G. K. Chesterton
RE: Hello!
Welcome JP Smile (Are you in line for the papacy, or a reincarnation perhaps? Tongue)

I'd never heard of Latin-Rite Catholicism ..till now. I'll try not to hold it against you! Big Grin
(July 17, 2009 at 3:28 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: Welcome JP Smile (Are you in line for the papacy, or a reincarnation perhaps? Tongue)

It is the bane of my existance... countless times during Mass in the assembly hall in primary school, whenever Father made mention of The Holy Father, every head whipped around and zoned in on me!

As if my mother truly believed naming me simply after my father would have been so confusing..!

Quote:I'd never heard of Latin-Rite Catholicism ..till now. I'll try not to hold it against you! Big Grin

A Latin-Rite Catholic is a Catholic who belongs to the Latin-Rite or Church sui iuris particular Church within the Catholic Church. This is the largest particular Church along with 22 other particular Churches which we call the 'Eastern Catholic Churches'.

I find 'Roman Catholic' to be derogatory and an inaccurate description of the Church. So prefer to go the confusing route. Also makes me look smart Smile!

Regards,
JP.
The people who are the most bigoted are the people who have no convictions at all.
-G. K. Chesterton
Welcome to the forums. You will probably have to deal with the ex-Catholic Kyu soon enough...I don't envy you Big Grin
(July 17, 2009 at 3:39 pm)Jon Paul Wrote: As if my mother truly believed naming me simply after my father would have been so confusing..!

Your DAD was the pope!! (sorry - I'll stop now Big Grin)

(July 17, 2009 at 3:39 pm)Jon Paul Wrote: A Latin-Rite Catholic is a Catholic who belongs to the Latin-Rite or Church sui iuris particular Church within the Catholic Church. This is the largest particular Church along with 22 other particular Churches which we call the 'Eastern Catholic Churches'.

I find 'Roman Catholic' to be derogatory and an inaccurate description of the Church. So prefer to go the confusing route. Also makes me look smart Smile!

Regards,
JP.

It's a whole new language to me. I'm also blissfully ignorant of Anglican erm.. 'tradition'. Detritus in the way of the goodies in my eyes Smile

Smart alec! Big Grin
(July 17, 2009 at 3:19 pm)Jon Paul Wrote: I am Jon Paul. I am a young, practicing Latin-Rite Catholic from Europe. I am here to discuss and in all honesty try and hold my own in defending Christianity (Catholicism). I'll jump into the Religion subforum soon enough.

Hello Jon Paul,

I'm an ex-Catholic but apparently my views on theism hold no validity at all because I'm told (by one Frodo) that I can't understand theistic concepts unless I am a part of them.

I guess it would have been interesting to discuss it with you but what is, is, what cannot be, cannot be.

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
Ahem! SLIGHT misrepresentation of my words! Smile

(In discussing theology Kyu makes special pleading for scientific evidence)
(July 17, 2009 at 5:40 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: Ahem! SLIGHT misrepresentation of my words! Smile

(In discussing theology Kyu makes special pleading for scientific evidence)

No I don't ... I have REPEATEDLY asked you to justify why your claims fall outside of the accepted evidence and rational/compatible explanation expectation and you have REPEATEDLY failed to do so (yet claimed you have done so).

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!

That's exactly special pleading Kyu.
(July 17, 2009 at 9:22 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: That's exactly special pleading Kyu.

No, it's not ... Special Pleading in this context is when you ask that your claim is excepted form the usual/expected rules of evidence which is EXCATLY what you do when you claim your god is outside those rules: http://fallacyfiles.org/specplea.html

Kyu
Angry Atheism

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up Hello Hello loush 17 6002 December 13, 2010 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: theophilus
  Hello hello! DgyJff 8 3648 August 30, 2010 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: RachelSkates