Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 4:22 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Orc-minded People
Orc-minded People
I remember a passage from Lord of the Rings where it was implied that the author was heavily editing the dialogue of the orcs, to take out all cussing and swearing.

And the author said that orcs, and orc-minded people, do have a filthy way of speaking.

And I've noted that this forum does not have a language filter, to take it all out.

Now Tolkien was a devout Catholic and along with C.S. Lewis and a few other Christian professors, he would engage in a weekly debate with atheist professors.

I was wondering if Tolkien was talking about his atheist friends when he talked about orc-minded people.

Or maybe he was talking about the working class in England, which has lost its faith in God and no longer acts with even the modicum of decency in word or deed.

Anyway, you're not going to impress me or persuade me no matter how many f-bombs you hurl at me or how many insults you hurl in my direction.

I came here to see what atheists are up to, and so far I am the opposite of impressed.

I am pretty sure you would get much better treatment if you went to a Catholic forum and declared you were an atheist looking for answers.

However, carry on and do as you will. You are making it all the more easy for me to return to my Catholic faith, knowing it was the right way to go all along.
RE: Orc-minded People
You called atheists "orc-minded" and then wonder why we treat you like you're a prick? If everyone is always mean to you, maybe you should examine the most common denominator: Yourself. Yes, we have freedom of speech here (including the freedom to be crude). You treat us like it's our job to convince you there is no god. It isn't. I don't give a flying fuck what you believe in. You haven't given me a single reason why I should respect you or your misguided opinions about atheism. Run along back to the forums that will agree with your every word and delicately hold your hand; we've reached the limit on members who think their shit don't stink.
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
(September 25, 2012 at 10:14 pm)Blackrook Wrote: And I've noted that this forum does not have a language filter, to take it all out.
Which ones do?
Blackrook Wrote:I am pretty sure you would get much better treatment if you went to a Catholic forum and declared you were an atheist looking for answers.
More like an instaban...

Blackrook Wrote:However, carry on and do as you will. You are making it all the more easy for me to return to my Catholic faith, knowing it was the right way to go all along.
People are people. I, for one, have not used a single profanity on this forum. You are on a forum where the majority of people are atheists and some of them swear, so swearing is the work of us 'evil atheists'? If this were another forum, I doubt it would be much different.
John Adams Wrote:The Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.
Hey! You can't generalise like that. As a former Pentecostal born-again Christian, I still hold on to some basic values that are considered Christian, especially like not swearing.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
(September 25, 2012 at 10:28 pm)FallentoReason Wrote: Hey! You can't generalise like that. As a former Pentecostal born-again Christian, I still hold on to some basic values that are considered Christian, especially like not swearing.
I'm not a prude, don't get me along. I will occasionally drop a swearword if I get the impulse.

But I have never seen a forum like this, where cussing and swearing and browbeating insults are permitted as if it was legitimate argument.

The only forum I've seen worse than this is the Family Guy fan forum, which is like walking in pigshit its so foul.

You atheists are holding yourself to a very low standard of conduct.

Is that really the impression you want to give to the outside world, a world that you are trying to convince that atheism should be accepted as the equal of any religion?
(September 25, 2012 at 10:34 pm)Blackrook Wrote:
(September 25, 2012 at 10:28 pm)FallentoReason Wrote: Hey! You can't generalise like that. As a former Pentecostal born-again Christian, I still hold on to some basic values that are considered Christian, especially like not swearing.
I'm not a prude, don't get me along. I will occasionally drop a swearword if I get the impulse.

But I have never seen a forum like this, where cussing and swearing and browbeating insults are permitted as if it was legitimate argument.

The only forum I've seen worse than this is the Family Guy fan forum, which is like walking in pigshit its so foul.

Is that really the impression you want to give to the outside world, a world that you are trying to convince that atheism should be accepted as the equal of any religion?

1. I think religion has a lot more to answer for than swearing.
2. Again, people who happen to be atheists are swearing, therefore all atheists use dirty language.
How about: one theist comes in and accuses us all of being intolerant whilst insulting us himself and expects us not to care. Therefore all theists are like that. You've hardly done anything but insult us or act defensive, how are we supposed to feel? Now you call us orcs, and...Dodgy
John Adams Wrote:The Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.
Am I the only one thinking that this guy is a troll? Then again, I don't know why he would bother arguing so much. I suggest that somebody ban him.
I only swear when somebody is being a fucking idiot. Guess who it is right now?
Blackrook Wrote:
I am pretty sure you would get much better treatment if you went to a Catholic forum and declared you were an atheist looking for answers.

Atheists aren't allowed on most religious forums.

Blackrook Wrote:
However, carry on and do as you will. You are making it all the more easy for me to return to my Catholic faith, knowing it was the right way to go all along.

That's great, I wouldn't want to be associated with the likes of you anyway.
[Image: Mv4GC.png]
The true beauty of a self-inquiring sentient universe is lost on those who elect to walk the intellectually vacuous path of comfortable paranoid fantasies.
(September 25, 2012 at 10:34 pm)Blackrook Wrote:

We're not some sort of team here. The only thing we have in common is that we lack the belief in a deity. That's the only thing that brings us together. Other than that, the next atheist from me could very well be a Buddhist who also believes in ghosts. Nothing in common there apart from our lack of faith in god(s).

This is why I don't call myself an atheist but go one further and say on top of that I'm a free thinker. Don't box me into that label that theists have attached so many other connotations to, because I most likely don't fit into the description you have in your head of what an 'atheist' is like.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
Blackrook Wrote:If all you atheists can't take on one little Catholic then you really are pussies and I will spread the word and you will be widely mocked
(this was in the shoutbox)
I normally am a very patient person, but...even the buddha loses his patience sometimes!

(This is in jest, but I'm sure you'll take it personally...) Please tell me I'm not the only one who knows that scene...
Oh yay. The guy that treats everyone like shit and then blames the reciprocated mistreatement on everyone else is back.

I tell you what, rookie, if you can give me a well-thought out argument that shows that swearing has negative conseqences beyond offending the uptight and without invoking what you believe to be a deity's wishes, I will never say "fuck" again.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If you had to pick between people who pimp prostitutes vs religious people Woah0 22 1947 August 28, 2022 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye