Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 1:37 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Birthers
Birthers
Amused by "Truthers"? How about "Birthers". Yes, I'm referring to the idiots who think Obama is not an American citizen, therefore he's not our president. It boils down to right wing nutjobs who are so racist they have decided to attack Obama on race through his birth certificate. Watch this video from Rachel Maddow. It's amazing and horrifying at the same time.

[youtube]WQyi4208vL0[/youtube]
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
RE: Birthers
His certificate was on line along with an article from the Honolulu Press announcing his birth. WTF, now John McCain was born in the Panama Canal Zone, i.e. not in the 50 states.
"On Earth as it is in Heaven, the Cosmic Roots of the Bible" available on the Amazon.
The rules (as far as I was aware) were that you had to be either born in the U.S, or be born to parents who are at least 19 and hold the U.S as their main residence (or something like that).

Since Obama's mother was only 18 when he was born, the only way Obama can be elected President is by being born in the country...which he was.
A lot of those people feel that they have a legitimate complaint against Obama. They don't think he is a naturalized citizen because they have been led to believe such. I don't like it when people say the only reason to dislike obama is underlying racism. It his half white side I don't like, heh. Oh yeah, and his citizenship is not really in question. He has made it clear who he works for.
If you think it is only a racial issue, I think you are compartmentalizing a movement again.
It's not a legitimate complaint. His birth certificate has been validated. Even by World Net Daily, which they now deny.

I don't think it's only a racial issue, but it's a huge underlying reason. The first Black president and people are arguing over his place of birth?! Racism is very much alive in this country, but it is being crushed over time. You can't be an open racist without repercussions, so this is a way to express that racism.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
Quote:The rules (as far as I was aware) were that you had to be either born in the U.S, or be born to parents who are at least 19 and hold the U.S as their main residence (or something like that).

Here any citizen can hold any elected office.

Are you sure about the "normal residence" thing? The reason I ask is that I've seen complaints from Americans about pregnant Mexicans going into America [ilegally] to give birth so their child will be a US citizen.

Here a child holds the legal citizenship of its parents.EG should say an Afghan refugee awaiting asylum give birth here the child is Afghan, not Australian.Such children can be (and have been) deported with their parents should their application be refused.
(July 22, 2009 at 3:22 am)padraic Wrote: Are you sure about the "normal residence" thing? The reason I ask is that I've seen complaints from Americans about pregnant Mexicans going into America [ilegally] to give birth so their child will be a US citizen.
That would be "born in America" then Big Grin

Maybe I didn't explain it well. The gist of the system I got, was that to be eligible for the Presidency, you had to either be:

1) Born in the U.S.A
OR
2) Born to parents who have a U.S citizenship, have lived in the USA in the past x amount of years, and are over the age of 19.

It doesn't matter if just one of them holds, because you only need one to. Obama was born in the USA, so he gets a tick for #1. However he fails #2 since his mother was 18.
(July 21, 2009 at 9:15 pm)Tiberius Wrote: Since Obama's mother was only 18 when she was born

Praise god almighty ... it's a miracle ... woman born at 18!!!!!!! ROFLOL

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
(July 22, 2009 at 4:11 am)Kyuuketsuki Wrote:
(July 21, 2009 at 9:15 pm)Tiberius Wrote: Since Obama's mother was only 18 when she was born

Praise god almighty ... it's a miracle ... woman born at 18!!!!!!! ROFLOL

Kyu
Oops! Bad...bad...typo.
Quote:You can't be an open racist without repercussions, so this is a way to express that racism.

But are you saying that anyone with a dislike or distaste for Obama by default has to be racist? That is what I am trying to not let you say. Even that if you think he may not be a naturalized American citizen, you must be racist?

My opinions on Obama have nothing at all to do with his race. None of my opinions are about his race. I don't like who he works for, where he came from, what he has done, what he will do... I don't like him as much I wouldn't like anyone on top of that pile. Any president, until there is some 'change we can believe in', is by default an enemy of mine. They won't let anyone who isn't crazy like them be in charge. His naming of his administration, his actions about the 'financial crisis', the Friedman School of Economics he is part of... Those are legitimate things to dislike about a president, and have nothing to do with his race.

But are you assured that my dislike is based on underlying and denied racism? Like you know my belief in god is based on underlying fear and ignorance? May be, in such situations, I know more about myself than you do about me. Especially my unspoken secrets and motivators. Thank you.

-Pip