Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 3:50 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Closeted Atheists
Closeted Atheists
I'm just curious how many Atheists on this forum are in the closet? That is to say how many of you don't ever mention that you don't believe in god to people you know in real life. I honestly don't understand this phenomenon. I mean why? I've always been open about not believing in God when it comes up in real life, and I've never experienced any prejudice. Maybe the occasional argument, but never any prejudice.

Note: I live in Utah.
RE: Closeted Atheists
I'm in the closet. I figure that my family would react negatively, and I just don't want to tell them. I might tell them someday, but I am only just starting college, so I would like to wait a few more years, at least, and perhaps see if either of my siblings becomes atheist (I suspect that my brother could be de-converted, but I don't know about my sister. Neither of them are particularly religious, but I won't get my hopes up just yet).
John Adams Wrote:The Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.
Even though I am a Christian, I also do this where I don't openly identify myself as Christian in public....only family and Church members know I am a Christian and only because they know I attend Church.

What is the point in openly identifying your beliefs in public? What point does it serve? My view is such views are personal and need not be expressed in everyday life.
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
(September 29, 2012 at 8:51 pm)Polaris Wrote: Even though I am a Christian, I also do this where I don't openly identify myself as Christian in public....only family and Church members know I am a Christian and only because they know I attend Church.

What is the point in openly identifying your beliefs in public? What point does it serve? My view is such views are personal and need not be expressed in everyday life.

There is a difference between not conspicously displaying your beliefs, and refusing to mention them at all,or even lying about them. I only mark 'atheist' on surveys I know my parents will never see (assuming that it asks for your religion).
John Adams Wrote:The Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.
I haven't told anyone. The reason being that as a former Christian I obviously centered everything in life around my faith. I play in the worship team (but lately I've been trying not to), 80% of my friends are Christian, my band outside of church is Christian based.... So pretty much I was building up my life with Jesus as the foundation but now my world has been flipped upside down and I have actually dug myself the deepest hole ever. Telling everyone that I don't believe anymore would be an absolute disaster. I need to strategically distance myself as opposed to bluntly say I don't want to e.g. play in the worship team because I disbelieve.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
(September 29, 2012 at 8:51 pm)Polaris Wrote: Even though I am a Christian, I also do this where I don't openly identify myself as Christian in public....only family and Church members know I am a Christian and only because they know I attend Church.

But if somebody asked you, you'd say that you were a Christian right? I mean I'm referring to people who basically hide their Atheism, even from their family. Not referring to flaunting or proselytizing, although I'm glad to hear that you think it's pointless.
I am completely open to everyone except my two in-laws. They're conservative, and my wife simply doesn't want me to tell them I'm atheist. Every once in a while, I think about telling them but don't.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(September 29, 2012 at 9:09 pm)CapnAwesome Wrote:

But if somebody asked you, you'd say that you were a Christian right? I mean I'm referring to people who basically hide their Atheism, even from their family. Not referring to flaunting or proselytizing, although I'm glad to hear that you think it's pointless.

Well if asked about my beliefs, I do say I am Christian.

I don't know why an atheist would openly want to do the same though. The potential alienation outweigh the benefits.
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
Doesn't come up very often. Those who ask I tell. If someone gets into a discussion about God then I'm not going to hide my Atheism. I can do that without getting savaged.
Its that kind of freedom that when compared to the situation in America makes me happy to live in England... then I remember that with the declining standard of education, declining state of the economy and the increase in overpopulation its rather likely that I will be trapped in a crappy real life version of "Escape from New York" in about ten years time making such freedoms a moot point.
[Image: p8z8t2z_Dk6bHaaELm-2BQ2.jpg]
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.
(September 29, 2012 at 9:13 pm)Polaris Wrote: Well if asked about my beliefs, I do say I am Christian.

I don't know why an atheist would openly want to do the same though. The potential alienation outweigh the benefits.

Whoaaa. Are you suggesting that Atheists ought to be in the closet?

If someone asks me I tell them I don't believe in god because it's true, I have nothing to be ashamed of, and I'm an honest person. If someone would alienate me over that, it's probably not someone I would want to have anything to do with anyway.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2200 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet