Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 3:30 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
World heritage site reduced to ashes
World heritage site reduced to ashes
[Image: 20120804.213021_syriaaleppo_reuters.jpg]

before:
[Image: aleppo-3.jpg]

Quote:Large parts of Aleppo's covered market, the largest of its kind in the world and a UNESCO world heritage site that traces its history back to the 14th century, have been reduced to ashes as government forces and rebels fight for control of the city.

The historic market was largely undamaged by earlier fighting in Syria's largest city, but in the early hours of Saturday some of its shops caught fire during clashes in circumstances that remain unclear.

The flames spread rapidly, partly because many of the small retail units tucked beneath the market's ancient arches were full of fabric, and have now ravaged at least 1,500 shops and are still burning, activists said.

"It is not only the souk that is burning, my heart is burning as well," said an anti-government activist called Hashem who learnt the craft of jewelry-making in the souk before the revolt against President Bashar al-Assad erupted last year.

The souk's devastation is a reminder of how the 18-month-old conflict - in which both sides are struggling to gain the upper hand and activists estimate 30,000 people have been killed - is destroying Syria's rich cultural and historical legacy as well as the lives of its 22.5 million people.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/09/3...X720120930
RE: World heritage site reduced to ashes
War is hell.
"People spend all their time making nice things, and then other people come along and break them."
-- The Doctor
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
video of the burning

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75QdtaAOeB0

[Image: whywecanthavenicethings.jpg]

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Fuck if I care about anything that relates to arabs anymore.
[Image: trkdevletbayraklar.jpg]
Üze Tengri basmasar, asra Yir telinmeser, Türük bodun ilingin törüngin kim artatı udaçı erti?
Did you ever?
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(September 30, 2012 at 4:12 pm)kılıç_mehmet Wrote: Fuck if I care about anything that relates to arabs anymore.

I have to admit that I'm getting there as well. After a few decades of giving them a pass for historical reasons, outsider interference issues, religious feuds, tribal feuds, etc. it's hard to not conclude that peace just isn't in their nature.
[Image: generic_sig.jpg]
That is an incredible blanket statement, Tino.
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
(September 30, 2012 at 4:12 pm)kılıç_mehmet Wrote: Fuck if I care about anything that relates to arabs anymore.

Once the Caliphate is reinstated you'll be best buddies again. Tongue

Inshallah

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is it possible to maintain and respect cultural heritage and not be a racist Drich 90 12524 March 16, 2015 at 12:50 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus