Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 12:22 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it possible to maintain and respect cultural heritage and not be a racist
Is it possible to maintain and respect cultural heritage and not be a racist
I could quote an artical either way on this topic, but I want to know what you think. In essence all cultural heritage is based in a xenophobic/tribal/assemble like pairs mentality. More so in mid and far eastern cultures. In essence a degree of racism is apart of the culture. So then is it wrong to honor culture over the pop culture idea of a race neutral soceity where everyone just comes together forgets their past and looks to built a milato future?

Honestly I do not understand what the big deal is. The more you harp and force cultural diversity, the more people will want to slink back to thier indivisual race/culture. Which again to me is ok so long as we are not killing each other. What is the big deal if a bunch of Mexicans get together and buy out every major dairy farm in North America, and then only want to hire Mexicans? Or if Koreans want to do the same with electronics or cars? Or if whites want to do the same with whatever's they want to do? Let them try and pander to the markets provided by their race and let's see how long they will last in a global economy. Why not let the dollar or euro decide? Let a man stand or fall on his own merit, rather entitle him to a place at the table because we are short a few members of his race.
RE: Is it possible to maintain and respect cultural heritage and not be a racist
Quote:Which again to me is ok so long as we are not killing each other.

But then.....

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/03/texas...in-dallas/

Quote:Texas Muslims fear for their safety after Iraqi man is shot dead in Dallas

lots of people simply refuse to play by your rules.
RE: Is it possible to maintain and respect cultural heritage and not be a racist
(March 9, 2015 at 11:47 pm)Drich Wrote: What is the big deal if a bunch of Mexicans get together and buy out every major dairy farm in North America, and then only want to hire Mexicans? Or if Koreans want to do the same with electronics or cars? Or if whites want to do the same with whatever's they want to do? Let them try and pander to the markets provided by their race and let's see how long they will last in a global economy. Why not let the dollar or euro decide? Let a man stand or fall on his own merit, rather entitle him to a place at the table because we are short a few members of his race.

Do you know what color the gal is who installed the airbag on your truck?

Rather than force consumers to make the decision to get rid of bigots over the long haul by not shopping at their businesses, incurring hundreds of hours of more research, it's more efficient to simply outlaw bigotry in the workplace.

What if a company refused to hire Christians? You'd be shitting bricks sideways crying about discrimination.

So what happened? Did a black guy apply for work at your business?

I guess my question is this: what's so important/fragile about cultural heritage, that it can't stand to exist in anything other than its own little vacuum?
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
Is the answer "jesus?"
Ah, the illusion of cultural and racial monism. The U.S. has always been culturally and racially pluralistic. Native Americans have been here long before the English, and the Hispanics colonized the southwest.
This country is build on the blood, sweat, and tears of cheap non-white labor.
It is very important not to mistake hemlock for parsley, but to believe or not believe in God is not important at all. - Denis Diderot

We are the United States of Amnesia, we learn nothing because we remember nothing. - Gore Vidal
I don't understand what's wrong with liking your cultural heritage, as long as you don't consider yourself and your culture superior and think others are inferior... Then of course, there are cultures that I dislike, but it has nothing to do with race. I don't think race is relevant in culture. As I said before, my girlfriend is gipsy descendant but she doesn't consider herself culturally gipsy. With globalization there is no 100% pure culture and no 100% pure race.

Quote:Ah, the illusion of cultural and racial monism. The U.S. has always been culturally and racially pluralistic. Native Americans have been here long before the English, and the Hispanics colonized the southwest.
This country is build on the blood, sweat, and tears of cheap non-white labor.
Indeed, America seems to be even more pluralistic than Europe. It's surprising when I see racist American politicians talking because America has more race diversity.

Honestly, I try to think for myself and accept difference as long as difference isn't barbaric - But if monoculturalism works for other countries I'm not going to stop them. Japan seems to work with Japanese culture and Japanese ethnicity only, so who am I to stop them? Granted that I'm pretty liberal on these things, I do believe some cultural and even ethnic similarities benefit countries because it prevents conflicts that arise between the population.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

(March 10, 2015 at 4:17 am)Dystopia Wrote: Indeed, America seems to be even more pluralistic than Europe. It's surprising when I see racist American politicians talking because America has more race diversity.
It's mostly because in public school we are told a very white washed history that is largely told from the view of the white males. The histories of the other groups are mention but not really developed. For example, large parts of the civil rights movements of the past few decades get only a few sentences or are ignore completely. When I went to school in the 90s and early 2000s, we didn't talk about the Mexican civil rights movement, women's rights movements, and the LGBT civil rights movement at all, for examples.
It is very important not to mistake hemlock for parsley, but to believe or not believe in God is not important at all. - Denis Diderot

We are the United States of Amnesia, we learn nothing because we remember nothing. - Gore Vidal
(March 10, 2015 at 5:41 am)Pizz-atheist Wrote:
(March 10, 2015 at 4:17 am)Dystopia Wrote: Indeed, America seems to be even more pluralistic than Europe. It's surprising when I see racist American politicians talking because America has more race diversity.
It's mostly because in public school we are told a very white washed history that is largely told from the view of the white males. The histories of the other groups are mention but not really developed. For example, large parts of the civil rights movements of the past few decades get only a few sentences or are ignore completely. When I went to school in the 90s and early 2000s, we didn't talk about the Mexican civil rights movement and the LGBT civil rights movement at all, for examples.

I'm inclined to think it happens because it can offend religious beliefs (the LGBT part) - And in public school secularism is expected.

I remember seeing a video from the1janitor complaining about black history not being mentioned so often as white history. Obviously black americans (I'm sorry but I dislike the term "african-americans" because not every black is equally african) are a part of american history and culture. He talked about some famous lawyer that won a lot of important cases and was black. And of course, the president is black as well.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

Drich,
The concept of 'separate but equal' is something that we have struggled to move beyond. I'm not sure whether you're so ignorant of history to assume that your idea is novel, or just too stupid to realize what you're are proposing. You also must be oblivious to drop this turd two days after the 50th anniversary of 'Bloody Sunday'. It might help if you got your nose out of the Bible and into some history books.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is peaceful revolution possible? Macoleco 27 1552 October 7, 2021 at 10:23 pm
Last Post: Secular Elf
  Black Lives Matter is not anti racist, but pro marxist Ramus932 25 2048 June 14, 2020 at 2:10 am
Last Post: Zepp
  Police in USA arent racist, its just American culture is all Ramus932 10 841 June 14, 2020 at 1:49 am
Last Post: Zepp
  Cultural Identities and Ships of Theseus ignoramus 2 428 December 10, 2018 at 7:37 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  So Not Every WLB Voter Was a Racist Retard. Minimalist 16 1148 October 29, 2018 at 12:16 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Losing respect for Rand Paul shadow 127 11452 February 4, 2018 at 12:00 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Ann Coulter Reminds the WLB That His Racist Fans Don't Care About Tax Cuts Minimalist 29 6742 September 1, 2017 at 6:27 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Sessions, In Addition To Being A Racist Shit Is Also A Liar Minimalist 3 758 July 21, 2017 at 11:03 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Up yours you racist, misogynist, ignorant Trump voters. Whateverist 11 2560 April 10, 2017 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Illinois senator makes racist comment in debate Doubting Thomas 15 1984 October 28, 2016 at 3:30 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas