Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 11:32 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pet Peeve: "Hythe" vs. Height
Pet Peeve: "Hythe" vs. Height
Has anyone else noticed that more and more people are pronouncing "height", which rhymes with "bite", as as "high-th" It's like the brain is locking into the idea of height and width, and giving both a soft "th" sound. This needs to stop! Who's with me? We need to protect our English language. <---- Inserted to deliberately iron those who find the statement ironic.
[Image: generic_sig.jpg]
RE: Pet Peeve: "Hythe" vs. Height
I don't get it either. My father says that many of his co-workers pronounce 'wash' as 'warsh', even when part of a word, like 'warshington' instead of 'washington'. It's just part of a dialect...I think. (Do dialects require a certain percentage of people in the area to speak that way?)
John Adams Wrote:The Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.
Nope, never noticed this but now of course I'll start to listen out for it and probably notice it all the time. I've given up wishing a horrible death for people who say 'haitch' for the letter H though.
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
*Kayenneh silently skips away, since English is her third language, and she can't vouch for her own accent or pronunciation
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

The 'th' sounds are the fastest disapearing across the english speaking world. Its a shame in that it is older than the english language itself, but on the other hand I would not like english to become as restricted as French which is becoming unable to develop.
Oh, and people saying pronounciation instead of pronunciation Angry
This is another thread that's going to play merry hell with my blood pressure, isn't it?

I've not come across this strange new pronunciation though. Then again, it's not really a word that often comes up in any conversation that people are likely to have with me.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
And another thing, English people who don't stress the first syllable of a multi syllable words such as harassment or controversy or who pronounce the 'c' in schedule.

My children think I complain too much Undecided
Height with a "th" sound is common in British English, in fact both are used. No idea where the Queen stands on the issue though, as I ain't posh. It's spelt "height" though. E.g. "He didn't have sufficient heig{th} to..."

Please don't protect the English language Wink
blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.” – John 20:26-29
Look Tino at work http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJ0l_vPyUmg

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A person and a pet Foxaèr 8 509 August 19, 2023 at 6:01 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Your pet stories. Brian37 27 1657 February 4, 2021 at 5:24 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Pet pictures The Valkyrie 29 2039 March 6, 2020 at 2:57 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Pet Peeves with commercial marketing. Brian37 17 1656 July 30, 2018 at 1:53 pm
Last Post: *Deidre*
  My Top 5 Pet Peeves chimp3 40 10983 June 1, 2017 at 7:40 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Language Pet Peeve BrianSoddingBoru4 55 6596 February 16, 2017 at 11:19 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Pet pleasures Thumpalumpacus 246 20846 November 12, 2016 at 2:38 am
Last Post: Bob Kelso
  The Pet Peeves Thread Edwardo Piet 372 35449 June 9, 2016 at 1:50 am
Last Post: account_inactive
  Is/Are your pet(s) right pawed or left pawed? brewer 15 2881 February 25, 2016 at 9:47 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  The pictures topic: Show us your pet(s) rado84 13 3948 July 23, 2015 at 4:14 pm
Last Post: robvalue